XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Glove box flooding in June

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 11:59 AM
Received 194 Likes on 109 Posts
Question Glove box flooding in June

Well alas Jaguars are not the only things in the world with unpredictable spells. So here I am in June with pouring rain and 4 friends stuck outside after diner. (And me in my xjs with a backseat that might as well be non existent. So five soaking wet people in an xjs with towels thrown over all the seats and me fearing for my cars near perfect condition. You should try it sometime. NOT! (long story I'll cut to the chase). After the festivities were over, the next morning I commenced a damage report. Surprisingly the car cane out unscathed with no damage to the seats, or carpets. But the car smelled slightly musty. That day wasn't much better as far as weather so I just rolled down the windows in the garage. Later that day I checked on the progress and I had to get something out of my glovebox. what do ya know! There is like an inch of sitting water in there! Now I thought the glove box was sealed all the way around? I pulled the bottoms of the dash out (under scuttles?) an they were bone dry. My window seal has a small leak above my head but how could a leak account for the glow box flooding and the rest being dry? It was raining really hard but I'm stumped.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Water leaks are funny. The water meanders around and takes strange paths, finally dripping some distance away from the actual source of the leak.

I can almost promise the the windshield leak is the root casue

Cheers
DD

Old 06-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how about...

Could clogged drains from the wiper vent that exit to the wheel wells be the culprit? I noticed some debris in mine (by giving them a little squeeze I could hear leaves crunching inside them)...it's on my to do list.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My drains were plugged and were contributing to my water problem. Mine would leak behind the dash and come out the floor vents. However, my windshield was also leaking around the corners. I'd flush out those drains, and then check to see if the water continues coming in. If the windshield gasket looks cracked or dried out just replace it cause it will probably start leaking in the near future anyway.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EcbJag
....Later that day I checked on the progress and I had to get something out of my glovebox. what do ya know! There is like an inch of sitting water in there! Now I thought the glove box was sealed all the way around?.....
Anyone found a (dry) solution? Mine (Cabriolet) is the same. Any rain and it pools in the glovebox. Lots of it.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:53 PM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by EcbJag
Well alas Jaguars are not the only things in the world with unpredictable spells. So here I am in June with pouring rain and 4 friends stuck outside after diner. (And me in my xjs with a backseat that might as well be non existent. So five soaking wet people in an xjs with towels thrown over all the seats and me fearing for my cars near perfect condition. You should try it sometime. NOT! (long story I'll cut to the chase). After the festivities were over, the next morning I commenced a damage report. Surprisingly the car cane out unscathed with no damage to the seats, or carpets. But the car smelled slightly musty. That day wasn't much better as far as weather so I just rolled down the windows in the garage. Later that day I checked on the progress and I had to get something out of my glovebox. what do ya know! There is like an inch of sitting water in there! Now I thought the glove box was sealed all the way around? I pulled the bottoms of the dash out (under scuttles?) an they were bone dry. My window seal has a small leak above my head but how could a leak account for the glow box flooding and the rest being dry? It was raining really hard but I'm stumped.
Water can do some crazy things. You can set up a garden hose with a watering hose end that they sell in Home Depot or the like. It sprays similar to a shower head. Then either rig it to spray the car where you want or have a helper hold it. Then grab a flashlight and climb in the car and watch the water. Disassemble as needed to find the source.

My money is on a combination of clogged drains and a windscreen seal.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:30 AM
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

+2 on the plugged drains. Remove them, clean them out, and you should be good to go.