XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Got her runnin!!!! (for a bit...)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 10:35 PM
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Got her runnin!!!! (for a bit...)

Finally got my 84 XJS running. Took her for a cruise around the block, damn what a good feelin'. She was boggy as hell and has no acceleration, im sure thats due to the timing being off.

When i first got her, she had a problem with the injectors randomly ticking at any givin moment and literally filling the cylinders with liquid gas, to the point of overflowing out of the intake.

- first i changed all fluids, plugs, and wires.
- replaced o2 sensors
- cleaned most of the primary electrical connections
- made a new injectors harness, hoping the old one was just shorting, not the problem

And finally i narrowed it down to the ECU (6CU), replaced it with the 16CU, replaced the dizzy with a rebuilt one, and changed over to a single coil.

Started first try

After some minor tweaking and assuring it was safe/operable, drove her around the block a few times. Even tho she was a pig, it was awesome.

So on too the rest of the story. Noticed the B bank was missing on a cylinder, briefly tried to diagnose which cylinder and found a cracked plug, but before i went back to tearing apart the top half of the engine to get out the damn plug, i decided to give her one last reassuring rev (bad idea). Got her up to around 3000rpm and POP, backfire. So i immediately back off and the engine quits and steam billows out.

Open up the hood to find the small hose going to the top of the radiator fill tube is broke, so i thought, no bid deal just popped an old hose with the backfire, wrong. I look down into the front of the engine bay and there is my fan, in three pieces.... The old original fan (i assume) shattered from the sudden change in torque. The fan had chopped the coolant hose clean in half, tore up a few minor electrical wires, and then i see a nice D-cell battery sized hole in my radiator....

Name:  photo-1.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  248.2 KB

Well, im being optimistic here and telling myself i needed to change out the rad and convert to electric fans anyhow, the electrical wires will be cake to repair. It will also make me tear off the front of the car which i havent done yet and need to do anyways.

So if there is any advice i would give u guys is, please, replace your fan if you have any doubt that it hasnt been already, or better, go electric. If i had the hood open and was standing on the side of the car looking in when this happened, i would no longer have a head... Save your self from repairs, and medical bills.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 194 Likes on 161 Posts

When I replaced my engine I found the fan was littered with tiny cracks. I didn't even try looking for a mechanical replacement. Off I went to Advance Auto Parts and bought a similarly sized electric fan. It fit perfectly inside the original shroud and keeps the engine nice and cool.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:33 AM

yea, took about an hour or so prying the fan blade out of the radiator, then about another half our weaving it out of the engine bay. definately goin with electrics

Old 08-24-2012, 01:05 AM
Per
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

When you have sorted these new issues, check if your fuel filter has collected a lot of silt (assume you have replaced it and you may even have said so only I cannot remember). If silted check and clean the fuel dashpot beneath the battery box (think it is present for all models to prevent surge). It tends to fill with debris and silt over the years and clog the pick-up wire mesh inside it. Engine will idle fine and maybe run ok at lowish revs and load, but once you ask a bit more the fuel flow will be insufficient.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:42 AM

Yep, FF was one of the first things replaced

Old 08-24-2012, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

ive got a spare fan with a good clutch for sale.

also, clean your sump tank and i would be gutting those cats since because spontaneous combustion.

Last edited by M90power; 08-24-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:56 PM
jtg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey jake21
I have some parts if you need them I have hose you need .new fan and clutch
I also have new used radiator (aluminium) if interested email me
jtgcompany@gmail.com