Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 11:45 AM
Received 169 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by M90power
Damn. it shouldve had 20 coats by now
Yes, but humanity fails me yet again!

Old 06-28-2012, 12:06 PM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

I'm not sure what happened to the section where would could use adult language, but I would have had fun in there with this topic, I can tell you that.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:57 PM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybersib
Greg Edge says; "I think you did not do so well in English class. The shop owner did you a favor. Go to school and get a degree. Do automotive work as a hobby but not for a living. I have been in this business for 27 years and would not suggest anyone go into the car business. Use your brain to make a living and save your body for hobbies."

Don't you think that's a bit rough Mr. Edge? I learned a hard lesson only a few years back that I should have listened to my heart regarding how I should pursue my life's endeavors. Unfortunately, I listened to naysayers and ended up getting a degree, working my way up the corporate ladder, making a ton of money and ending up completely miserable. Just my opinion, but I think perhaps we should let this young fellow follow his heart and passions and see where it takes him. While you may have not enjoyed this path and the automotive biz hasn't worked out the way you wanted it to, it could be the absolute best and happiest path for HIM to take. Maybe Calvin D.K. will end up becoming the next Carroll Shelby, or better yet... the next Calvin D.K.!

Anyway... I'm jus sayin! Just one man's opinion.
I was actually being a bit sarcastic with the english comment. However I can tell you in this day and age a technician needs to be able to write. The days of "he is good with his hands but terrible with school" is over. You need to be able to write coherent thoughts and explain what work has been done. Especially if you are looking to get paid from a manufacturer under warranty. I did not mean to sound harsh but the reality is life is better if you go to school and earn a degree. Do cars as a hobby. If you must learn body work as a trade find a shop that is interested in an apprentice. Body work is certainly an art and takes years to get good. However with what insurance companies do to the shop owners it is no wonder they are all consumed with profit. Find a large shop that does collision work as they are probably willing to hire a newbie. Large shops work on production and there are frame guys, welders, bogymen, sanders, and painters. You work your way through different jobs in these shops.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:50 PM
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

For all who are interested to know, i have a 91gpa and am attending the honors program at a comunity college where i am majoring in buisness so i know how to run my own shop properly and effidently. And im attending comunity college because its afordable and ill eventually transfer out. I know that i need to find an apprentaceship and ive already talked to a few people at a few places about doing so