XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Haha stop leaks not going to help that! Fml with a side of holy backfiring crap!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 03:00 AM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Haha stop leaks not going to help that! Fml with a side of holy backfiring crap!

Steering rack has to be replaced now...
Fountains of fluid

C
ould this just be bad timing?

Exhaust bambams

Last edited by 944xjs; 02-16-2020 at 03:03 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:48 AM
Received 229 Likes on 148 Posts

Hello 944

For your fountain of fluid. When you paced that new seal in, was it tight in both the housing and the shaft, ie - did you slide it down the shaft to check, before you installed it in the housing? I know you installed a new nylon washer to act like a thrust washer and it is close to the exhaust, as another member mentioned - but it should have been right

Did you, have you played with those power steering lines that connect to the box. I had to play with mine recently - one of those jobs where I should have stood back and had a bit of a think before I attacked.
Anyway - I buggered up one of the fittings, and I could not get it to seal - resulted in a leak like that. (least I predicted it would have been if I started her - it was dripping just under gravity).

Regarding your exhaust bambams - did you ever check the fuel pressure. I think you posted recently where you cleaned the fuel filter out again, which was not pretty.

Hang in there - looked a real nice racing green paint job

Cheers
Steve

The following users liked this post:
944xjs (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,872 Likes on 7,151 Posts

Yes, do check the fittings (and hoses) before condemning the rack.

As for the bambams, I don't think it's a timing issue....although some other ignition fault is possible, as is a fueling issue. My gut tells me it's a secondary ignition issue- plugs, plug wires, something like that. But you'll just have to start checks, inspections, and tests and eliminate possibilities from the list

Cheers
DD

944xjs (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 734 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by Bez74
Anyway - I buggered up one of the fittings, and I could not get it to seal - resulted in a leak like that. (least I predicted it would have been if I started her - it was dripping just under gravity).
+1
I feel your pain.

Old 02-16-2020, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bez74
Hello 944

For your fountain of fluid. When you paced that new seal in, was it tight in both the housing and the shaft, ie - did you slide it down the shaft to check, before you installed it in the housing? I know you installed a new nylon washer to act like a thrust washer and it is close to the exhaust, as another member mentioned - but it should have been right

Did you, have you played with those power steering lines that connect to the box. I had to play with mine recently - one of those jobs where I should have stood back and had a bit of a think before I attacked.

Regarding your exhaust bambams - did you ever check the fuel pressure. I think you posted recently where you cleaned the fuel filter out again, which was not pretty.

Hang in there - looked a real nice racing green paint job

Cheers
Steve
Yeah, the lines are all good. You could see the leftovers dribbles hanging off the metal dust cap of the rack. I didn’t do any tests of the rack before installing. I pressed it in with a socket and hammer and got the clip on it. Figured it was in and would either work or not. Clearly now it’s so bad I have no choice but to take it back out and replace it. And I will be replacing with a refurb.

I haven’t had an opportunity to check fuel pressure yet.

Old 02-16-2020, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
Yes, do check the fittings (and hoses) before condemning the rack.

As for the bambams, I don't think it's a timing issue....although some other ignition fault is possible, as is a fueling issue. My gut tells me it's a secondary ignition issue- plugs, plug wires, something like that. But you'll just have to start checks, inspections, and tests and eliminate possibilities from the list

Cheers
DD
I do have new plugs and wires that I will be putting in. From all the books and internet tells me... unburnt fuel is getting into the exhaust and it’s backfiring. So somethings not lighting that fuel correct? Bad plug or wire is a good start... but if the timings too advanced couldn’t that create an issue?

Old 02-16-2020, 03:41 PM
Received 229 Likes on 148 Posts

Going back to my V8 with carb days - if the jets in the carb are too small, it can result in the failure to rev and can misfire.

I have been trying to relate to a fuel injection system to see what does the job of the jets without success though

944xjs (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 365 Posts

LOL!
"Ahhhhh ****ing #@$@#"
​​​​​​​
Few questions about the exhaust video - what exact type of fuel are you using, and how old are the O2 sensors? and have you checked the readouts on the TPS?

Old 02-16-2020, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by VancouverXJ6
LOL!

Few questions about the exhaust video - what exact type of fuel are you using, and how old are the O2 sensors? and have you checked the readouts on the TPS?
I usually use 93 octane. It has 87 in it at the moment. Octane doesn’t change the backfiring. O2 sensors are original, cleaned them before I put the downpipes back in. TPS was checked out like a year or so ago... was working good.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:25 AM
Received 360 Likes on 213 Posts

944 - hope you did not hammer that seal in to hard, if you did it will have cut the lip and gone in to far... that is what happened to my first seal.
I realised in time. Replaced the seal and used a drift machined to suit to push in the seal JUST the right amount.

944xjs (02-17-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Dukejag
944 - hope you did not hammer that seal in to hard, if you did it will have cut the lip and gone in to far... that is what happened to my first seal.
I realised in time. Replaced the seal and used a drift machined to suit to push in the seal JUST the right amount.
Im not even going to try again. I’m going to get a refurbished rack and not worry. I can’t even believe I’m going to do this again.... in a couple weeks or more. By then the pain will be forgotten.