XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

HE vs flathead and acceptance of boost pressure.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 07:06 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Great video on open and closed deck blocks!

The open block on our v12 won't be an issue. Plus, all this is pointing to me turning my dodge up before my Jag, it has an iron block and cheap parts. It would be great to learn on.

Last edited by Ivan Hall; 05-04-2020 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 270 Posts

Have you checked the price of a Jaguar V12 at a junk yard? $3-400 for a non-running but otherwise good V12. ( a bad sensor, broken distributor cap, bad coil etc. type problem)

now check the price of a dodge in the same condition. Whole lot more isn’t it? When I was racing I’d buy up any cheap V12 I could get as long as it was under $300 then $200, 100, free. towards the end I turned down all the HE’s and only took 71-80. I wound up with 50. ( all I had room for)
I tried to sell them for $700 guaranteed. I’d let people talk me down to $500. I only sold 15 in 15 years of advertising.

For what it is, it’s insanely cheap.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:48 PM

Well, can't find any of my dodge or Jag stuff. So it's priceless. And buying a motor isn't all their is. My dodge has a third of the cylinders, and much easier to hot rod and a bit easier to work on. I will put energy into my Jag, but I must go fast right now so I'll put my dodge together before I go do anything crazy on the Jag. Before I put a 4 valve in my dodge I will have one of the xj12's up and running so it can be my daily.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ivan Hall
.015 is pretty tight even for not having turbos. Just one more thing, ug.
I suppose you’d be shocked that I reused my rings? Yes chump car Racing is Racing $500 cars and that does not allow the luxury of new rings.

I also reused the bearings.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:53 PM

I'll definitely be reusing my rings and bearings. There's just going to be less ring is all.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

Well, can't find any of my dodge or Jag stuff. So it's priceless. And buying a motor isn't all their is. My dodge has a third of the cylinders, and much easier to hot rod and a bit easier to work on. I will put energy into my Jag, but I must go fast right now so I'll put my dodge together before I go do anything crazy on the Jag. Before I put a 4 valve in my dodge I will have one of the xj12's up and running so it can be my daily.
the two insurance sites will have whole cars available for as little as scrap metal prices. They were likely running when wrecked. Any body can buy from them but if it’s certain cars you’ll have to go through a broker first. Like I said there is an early V12 in Kansas available for scrap metal prices. $2-300
Or you can go on the nation wide parts listing service and check prices all over the country. Pretty easy to work with most of those guys.

Old 05-05-2020, 06:38 AM

Just not the case here. In Portland there is zero market for anything that I'm into. And I've never gotten anything shipped for less than $1500.

Old 05-05-2020, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

I guess driving up to Washington or down to California isn’t something you do? The insurance auctions are there but you can buy on line. You can spend a few dollars and have them inspected before you bid. Plus they have a place where you can ask ahead what shipping will be. I’ve always been able to go get them myself a lot cheaper.

Then there is Craigslist and face book that sometimes have shockingly good deals. But yeh you need to shop where Jaguars are more common.

Old 05-05-2020, 02:12 PM

Auctions are an option. Cars usually come through and cost a minimum of a grand and usually absolutely blown out. Had an 88 xjs like that. Sad.

Old 05-05-2020, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member

You don’t buy it for the car, you buy it for the parts. Take a smashed up newer XJS. If the damage is to the front you pull the rear end and sell the rest for scrap
As a result you have a 3.54 with a limited slip positraction and outboard brakes. Worth $500-$700 at junkyards for a couple of hundred.
buy a early1971- 1981 V12 that’s had a fire for less than scrap metal prices. The motor ( at least the parts you need) will still be good. Pull the motor, take what you need, Toss the rest back in the burned out hulk and sell everything for scrap. You’ll probably break even or close to it. That’s a set of Flatheads ( pre HE ) and a set of 7.8-1 pistons the distributor
Maybe even a set of carb manifolds. Don’t poo-poo they are the easy way to more power. Real power.

Old 05-06-2020, 09:57 AM

Well there are currently zero smashed up xjs' out there. Looked on Nationwide copart too. Unless you can somehow find one.

Old 05-08-2020, 02:12 AM
Veteran Member

Keep checking. They show up all the time.
When they do watch the auction to see what they sell for. Now there will be fees and delivery expenses on top. But you can figure that in before you bid. Watch for a while so you get a good sense off what stuff actually goes for. Some places are extremely aggressive for scrap some for reparable some as ownership cars. Few at the price I’m willing to pay though. But shopping is educating me too.

I’ve looked at several in Fresno and Washington. Worth loading it on a trailer and towing home.
That’s how I got my last one. $500 rust free Southern California 1984 XJS. But I brought out a load of hardwood and also picked up a lot of MG TD parts Plus I spent a week with my buddy. It’s a little over a day away. 1513 miles to be exact.

Last edited by Mguar; 05-08-2020 at 02:21 AM.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:57 AM

So all 3 of those xj12's sold this week before I could buy them. But I really don't need them. Plus, Coventry west will sell me a rebuilt posi unit for $1000. My cast crank will probably be fine. This means I'll have to pull apart my engine and rebuild it. Any rebuild manuals out there? This will be a boost prep build, and finally decided my turbo, going to top mount a vs 7875 gen 2. Not worried about cutting the hood, honestly a big turbo out the center not only would look cool but also vent unhealthy underhood heat.

Old 05-10-2020, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member

Keep checking. Don’t forget IAAI plus the old Craigslist as well as Facebook ( although I’ve never found any on Facebook)
Maybe I’m more patient then most or just too cheap. But I’ll spend a few hours searching a couple times a week rather than watching the tube.

Old 08-28-2020, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member

You lost credibility when you said H.E. means "help emmisions". It means high efficiency man.
HE means high efficency? Really. Hmm, both the pre HE and the HE have the same horsepower? Yes there is slightly better fuel mileage at light cruising throttle positions.*. But against that at full throttle for extended periods the hot spots generated will tend to blow head gaskets.

* Don’t give the HE more credit than it deserves for better fuel mileage. There were many improvements that deserve credit. The final drive went from either 3:31 or 3:07 to 2:88 thus slowing the engine down for a given.speed. They went from the 1940’s designed Borg Warner model 12 To the much newer designed GM turbo 400 transmission. The fuel injection was upgraded several times and with each upgrade the fuel injectors got smaller and more precise. Upgrades to the HVAC helped mileage along with a few minor body mods.

The real reason Jaguar bought the May head was to keep selling Jaguars in California. The new emission laws would have cost Jaguar more than 50% of its global market and the old heads couldn’t meet those requirements.

So while High Efficiency has marketing clout it’s just not the true. Yes advertisers lie.

Old 08-28-2020, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

MG lots of people lie!

Old 12-16-2020, 09:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by icsamerica
Neither engine is ideal for boost for very both similar and different reasons. Any engine can be boosted... but to what degree is the question and at what point does it become worth it or not. I've never tested any of this and it's just an option based on experience.

Issues with HE Engine.
1. Exhaust valve is in a pocket when under boost you are pushing more air in but it has to come out too, Leads to over heating of the valve and high EGT
2. Exhaust port is too long, lots of surface area for heat to transfer into the head and not the turbo hits efficiency
3. High static compression knock limits boost pressure
4. High Exhaust gas temps from turbo charging exacerbates dropped valve seat problem.
5. Open Deck block not ideal for high boost.

Issue with Pre-HE
1. Flat head and Dished Piston. Dished piston has more surface area and will absorb much heat than the head which leads to ring issues.
2. Imprecise ignition system leads to having to run safe timing which exacerbates EGT issue
3. High Exhaust gas temps from turbo charging exacerbates dropped valve seat problem.
4. Open Deck block not ideal for high boost.

Many of these problems can be over come with newer technologies such as a stand alone fuel injections systems, machine work, and newer parts but at great expense in time and money. Many other issues cant be resolved at any price, like the long exhaust port and open deck.
Really good and concise advice.

Old 12-16-2020, 11:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought AJ 6, not AJ16 heads were used?

Old 12-16-2020, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

all this talk about heat and dropped valve seats problems can be reduced by having the Flathead engines upper chamber Thermal coated along with the seats in place!
also coated long exhaust port and valves, reduce heat into the coolant area!
i had mine done in 1994, never a problem with overheating since then,!
sometimes gotta think outta the box!
ron

Old 12-16-2020, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Robert Michael Purington
Really good and concise advice.

No vintage engine is advanced as any modern engine so therefore isn’t perfect. However working with a V12 is a cheap way to have fun. Yes cheap!
First don’t worry about the open deck. The head has a deck and there is a whole bunch of studs (54) clamping it firmly on the block. Second press the Iron sleeve out. Notice that great big step on it? How are you going to move that around? In all of the V12’s I bought none showed any sign of movement. Ever!!
So the Jaguar engineers used a belt and suspenders approach to ensure it wouldn’t be a problem. Why did they do it? Die casting. Stronger faster and cheaper than sand casting Sir Lyons planned that engine to go out way over 7 liters. He was looking at Cadillac’s of 500 cubic inches.
The fuel shortage killed that off but the First V12’s made 508 horsepower back in the mid 60’s. ( at only 5 liters)

Next the early Flathead ( preHE, heron head etc) has a shorter bigger radius on the exhaust port and flows 93% as much as in the intake. ( when 80% is considered the proper ratio)

In my humble opinion the HE is a lousy engine to turbo charge. 11.5-1 compression ratio leaves little room for real gains from boost and even less with the European version at 12.5-1 compression. If you are determined you can clean up the combustion chamber to improve flow but that will lower compression and then some boost will have a benefit.

I would used the early Flathead with the dished pistons. America is at 7.8-1 compression with Europe at 9.0-1 ( better) any boost will require opening up ring gaps. That’s double edged sword. Opened gaps prevent rings from butting together and popping off the ring lands under heat from boost . But they cause leak down issues including oil burning. Perfect Circle rings would seem to solve those issues but there are valid reasons they are not used in production engines in spite of the promises they offer.

Last edited by Mguar; 12-16-2020 at 12:30 PM.

Quick Reply: HE vs flathead and acceptance of boost pressure.