XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

HE vs flathead and acceptance of boost pressure.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,066 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by icsamerica
More mis-information. Jag ECM's have software starting in 1980. So for Just 3 years, 76 to 79 the all the engine computers were analogue. The VAST majority of ECM have software. From 81 to 1995 the XJS's fueling was digital and based on software. Yes it's hard to get at that software but a soldering iron isnt going to help.
Regardless of all that he’s using an X305 running the Denso, not the 16CU or the Magneti Spaghetti.

The following users liked this post:
FerrariGuy (04-12-2020)
Old 04-11-2020, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,413 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Originally Posted by xalty
Press X to doubt.
The Atlas doesn’t look anything like the AJ6. Only thing they have in common is that they’re very lazy twin cam straight sixes.
I agree with you as far as the AJ6 is concerned, if GM did use any of it, they did so under license, they did not "buy" the engine. Jaguar used the AJ6 in all sorts of models before during and after the Ford takeover.

Old 04-11-2020, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 384 Likes on 282 Posts

Turbo's... for what? Where are we going? Drag racing.... A Tesla or anything with a warmed-up LS will win and embarrass. Road racing... the Miata will win and embarrass ?

It's the experience. The best upgrade for the XJS by far is a V12 with a 6 speed manual. A modern 6 speed auto might be nice too if one prefers not to pedal and stir. An then... no silencers. The aurally unencumbered V12 is still pleasant, and the extra gears and pedal makes for a unique and great GT experience.

Adding Turbos up's the complexity and decreases the serviceability and reliability drastically.
6 Speed swap does just the opposite.
I completely agree with you. If you want bragging rights just put NOX In it.
You saw the improvement it made on Top Gear. An XJS V12 Beating a New Turbo Porsche Ferrari etc.
Or if you want 500 horsepower there are Jaguars like the 5 liter XKR that will do it and as soon as you sign the papers not after giving a pile of cash to a mechanic. Chances are you can find a good used XKR cheaper than you can get the same 510 horsepower in your V12 from a mechanic.

Old 04-12-2020, 02:30 AM
Veteran Member

More mis-information. Jag ECM's have software starting in 1980. So for Just 3 years, 76 to 79 the all the engine computers were analogue. The VAST majority of ECM have software. From 81 to 1995 the XJS's fueling was digital and based on software. Yes it's hard to get at that software but a soldering iron isnt going to help.
This is good information. You see for decades I’ve been working with that black thing on the top of the engine with 12 spark plug wires going to it. Trying to get the engine to work the way I want it to rather than follow the dictates of California’s pollution laws.
Now you’re telling me and everyone else that the distributor is just a digital device I can hook my lap top up to and with a few key strokes replace all the work I’ve had to do changing springs and weights around?

Sign me up!! Explain to me where the prom chip is so I can pull that and replace it with one more to my liking?

AJ6 engineering won’t modify my ECM to take advantage of E85 and you’re telling me I don’t need them anymore, I can do it myself?

Please and if you do nothing else explain a way to advance the timing without having to crawl underneath to look at the timing marks on the bottom of the engine when the distributor is on the top?

If you do that Then I’ll admit that yes Jaguar built most of the V12’s digital.
I eagerly await your response.

Robert Michael Purington (12-16-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 02:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Mguar
This is good information. You see for decades I’ve been working with that black thing on the top of the engine with 12 spark plug wires going to it. Trying to get the engine to work the way I want it to rather than follow the dictates of California’s pollution laws.
Now you’re telling me and everyone else that the distributor is just a digital device I can hook my lap top up to and with a few key strokes replace all the work I’ve had to do changing springs and weights around?

Sign me up!! Explain to me where the prom chip is so I can pull that and replace it with one more to my liking?

AJ6 engineering won’t modify my ECM to take advantage of E85 and you’re telling me I don’t need them anymore, I can do it myself?

Please and if you do nothing else explain a way to advance the timing without having to crawl underneath to look at the timing marks on the bottom of the engine when the distributor is on the top?

If you do that Then I’ll admit that yes Jaguar built most of the V12’s digital.
I eagerly await your response.
If using a marelli XJS just drill out the distro plate thingy and physically turn it to your desired advance for that delicious high octane fuel.

The following 3 users liked this post by VancouverXJ6:
FerrariGuy (04-12-2020), Mguar (04-12-2020), ronbros (04-12-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 05:06 AM
Received 149 Likes on 74 Posts

In Ivan's case none of the XJS electronics apply of course. As noted, it's got a Denso ECU (with probably some sort of Motorola processor) and UV erasable eprom.

It controls both the fuel and the dual 6cyl Ford EDIS coil packs in wasted spark, and semi-sequential (2 fuel injectors fired simultaneously) EFI.

The XJS's Magnetti Marelli Microplex MED123 boxes (which are nearly identical to the MED120 Microplex boxes run on the 12Cyl Testarossa) are totally digital. Probably the real difference is software. The only thing the box didn't have was an analog Demux. The otherwise empty dual tier Marelli distributor serves that function.

Whether the Marelli box could at one time be programmed by interface, or if the chips were pre-programmed before being soldered down on the board, all that knowledge has been lost to the Italian sands of time and Italian record keeping at Marelli.

Anyone wanting to try to hack one would be well advised to visit Magneti Marelli Dinoplex, SAE701 and Microplex Repair and Restoration Documents

Marelli Digital IC Functions: (2 or so different ICs vs MED123)

IC1 Input Processing, Map Timing MC68705R3
IC2 Down Counter Advance Timing HCF40103BE
IC3 Down Counter, preset to 48 HCF40103BE
IC4 Ignition Pulse RS Latch MC14044BCP
IC5 Generates Clock and AP enable for Counter IC2 & IC3, Latch Reset 2&3 for IC4 MC140801BCP
IC6 Preprocessing for IC5 HCF4011BE
IC7 RPM Processing HCF4070BE
IC8 TDC Sensor LM1815N
IC9 RPM Sensor, IC1 Reset LM2903

Ivan's ECU is of course a Denso and unrelated in any way to Lucas. It controls the semi-sequential EFI (2x injectors fired at once) and wasted spark dual Ford EDIS 6cyl coil packs. Although there are tuner followings for early-ish Denso ECUs I was pleasantly surprised that a group thought they could do something with the 100797-5986 variant. I'm guessing it has a Motorola ECU like most Densos of that era. If Ivan ends up figuring out how to decipher the UV EProm tables, or even better yet, finding a comparable eeprom to replace it with, that alone will be interesting even if no other progress is made.

~Paul K.

Mguar (04-13-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by superchargedtr6
I have tried to find the info with no success. There was a car featured in Jaguar World magazine where a computer software company owner bought a Lister 7 Liter engine that had never been used in racing. He went through it, and installed the superchargers from the GM 3.8 liter V6 on each side. Twin injection system due to not being able to have a wide enough range of fuel delivery at WOT and idle. If I remember correctly, the car engine produced over 1600HP. Traction at any speed was severely limited. Seems I read that the man that built it passed of cancer. The car was sold maybe two or three years ago for around 23K at auction. As much as 300K invested. Anyone?

Yep.. that has to be Bradly Smith's (of New York) twin Whipple supercharged XJS. Bradley used to haunt the Jag-Lovers forums in those days. Hell of a nice guy. I was sickened when we found out his heart surgery didn't afford him the extra life he would have and should have been able to spend enjoying that car. Most of what you want to know can be found out by googling his name + Supercharged XJS.

Bradley Smith XJS in Detail

~Paul K.

The following 2 users liked this post by FerrariGuy:
1 of 19 (04-13-2020), ronbros (04-12-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

OH Yah, that looks like it will keep you busy, before it runs good!
hope i'm wrong!
has anyone have an original MAP for the XJS V12, timing and fueling, on paper?
it would seem a PreHE map would make better sense for performance engine, much simpler!

Old 04-12-2020, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by VancouverXJ6
If using a marelli XJS just drill out the distro plate thingy and physically turn it to your desired advance for that delicious high octane fuel.
That’s great information. I wonder if that would work with the Lucas? I’ve always had to pull the distributor, move it a tooth and set it back into place. I’ve never messed with the few Marelli distributors I’ve owned. My knowledge of the Lucas was so hard won I tended to treat Marelli’s as foreign. ( pun intended, I’m sorry)
I went searching for power and response and found the early distributor ( pre HE ) the easiest to work with. The curve in the in the later HE distributors is so opposite what historically worked for me I kept going back. No I’m sure I can’t get the later modified distributors to meet smog laws. I’d silver solder weights on and change springs around. Then grind weight off etc. Never got an HE distributor to generate what I consider a proper curve.

Last edited by Mguar; 04-12-2020 at 01:27 PM.
FerrariGuy (04-12-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 03:57 PM

That’s great information. I wonder if that would work with the Lucas? I’ve always had to pull the distributor, move it a tooth and set it back into place. I’ve never messed with the few Marelli distributors I’ve owned. My knowledge of the Lucas was so hard won I tended to treat Marelli’s as foreign. ( pun intended, I’m sorry).
Moving the offset front CPS sensor bracket on the Marelli car really just fools the ECU into thinking TDC is in a different place... so effectively it moves the whole map...(Similar to turning the distributor) BUT I imagine the internal MAP sensor goes some way in compensating for the ignition advance. There's what's called the "Andy Bracket" for AJ16 and AJ6 engines with CPS which changes where the sensor sits in relation to the crank to add a few degrees of advance. Makes a nice difference and works on a similar principle... Those ECUs also control both Fuel AND Spark.. so engine speed at idle is automatically compensated.

36CU ECU

Here's the guts of a 36CU ECU, as you can see there are a number of digital ICs on at least one board. Maps are in the chip that Roger modifies/replaces and there has to be a programmed processor there too.

16CU ECU

This is the 16CU (also with digital ICs on board) as you can see, it's less sophisticated than the 36CU, but it still operates similarly. Rogers site explains some of the differences.

~Paul K.

ronbros (04-12-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,376 Likes on 803 Posts

Possible Solution...Ceramic coating the exhaust ports. Here is a technology that make a Turbo XJS much more possible. The Jag V12's long exhaust port is particularly problematic. Distance is time so lots of heat energy passes from the exhaust port to the cooling system. Price seams reasonable.

https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/educa...or-more-power/

The following 2 users liked this post by icsamerica:
FerrariGuy (04-16-2020), ronbros (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

icsa, you mention thermal Ceramic coating of the long exhaust port, i did that to my exhaust ports after polishing , and the complete PreHE head surface(after resurfacing my specified amount), including the valve seats and valves !
done by SWAIN tech ,in NY! top of the line coating company, also the gold coat of piston tops!
26yrs ago , i guess ahead of the curve for engine mods!
so far no problems, i did the head surface trying to keep in more heat expansion to push the pistons more, not have it going into the cooling jackets, that may contribute to Famous Jag V12 overheating!

Old 04-13-2020, 01:03 PM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Software? There is no software in most of the Jaguars computers. They are analog not digital. Just resisters, transistors, and Timing circuits. Unless you are handy with a soldering Iron, you have to pull everything and start over.
That’s why it’s so hard.

If you want 500+ horsepower Jag spend about what you’ll spend trying to get that from a V12 and buy an XKR. It will have better handling, brakes, a lot more power and less weight. plus you can stick a key in the ignition and get instant satisfaction.

I love the V12, I’ll build another V12 race car. But I’ll throw a supercharger up on top, weld the carb manifolds together ( turned around) mount a Holley dominator on top. And have some cheap fun.
An xkr doesn't have a v12. End of story. I'll do a lot for the satisfaction of a v12.

Old 04-13-2020, 01:05 PM

Turbo's... for what? Where are we going? Drag racing.... A Tesla or anything with a warmed-up LS will win and embarrass. Road racing... the Miata will win and embarrass ?

It's the experience. The best upgrade for the XJS by far is a V12 with a 6 speed manual. A modern 6 speed auto might be nice too if one prefers not to pedal and stir. An then... no silencers. The aurally unencumbered V12 is still pleasant, and the extra gears and pedal makes for a unique and great GT experience.

Adding Turbos up's the complexity and decreases the serviceability and reliability drastically.
6 Speed swap does just the opposite.
Adding turbos makes it fast. Probably push it to about 600hp with pump. That would at least wax a new ss Camaro.

Last edited by Ivan Hall; 04-13-2020 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by VancouverXJ6
Complicated is painful. I'd invest in a plug n' play solution with a single solid transmission+brackets+wiring Much like the guy from Finland? Or was it Norway doing a plugin aftermarket V12 ECU for the Jags.

Something like a Ford truck transmission or whatever the mustang has which has usage across the board with ample aftermarket support..doesn't have to be Ford btw.
Of course there's pain, anything worthwhile is hard. Yes there is a standalone out for jags, if someone asks I'll dig it and find. It's $4000.

Greg in France (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 01:22 PM

Honestly I enjoy my xj12 for more than my 98 xjr. Only thing I liked about my xjr was the cornering ability, and whine.

Old 04-13-2020, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member

I too fell in love with Jaguar’s V12 so much so I started to stockpile them. The ones I bought were mechanically perfect ( 50 ) and out of all I looked at most were. One with a loose oil filter had connecting rods out both sides of the block but it got him home. ( talk about lack of mechanical awareness, “I just had my oil change and I smelled oil all the way home, then it got real noisy” )
Several others I looked at and passed on were obviously neglected or worked on by butchers.

Last edited by Mguar; 04-14-2020 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ronbros
icsa, you mention thermal Ceramic coating of the long exhaust port, i did that to my exhaust ports after polishing , and the complete PreHE head surface(after resurfacing my specified amount), including the valve seats and valves !
done by SWAIN tech ,in NY! top of the line coating company, also the gold coat of piston tops!
26yrs ago , i guess ahead of the curve for engine mods!
so far no problems, i did the head surface trying to keep in more heat expansion to push the pistons more, not have it going into the cooling jackets, that may contribute to Famous Jag V12 overheating!
A lot of the Jag overheating issue has nothing to do with the ports.
it is often people neglect reading the owners manual and failing to oil the distributor. Yes oil the distributor. Something like page 65 in my manual.
What happens is the advance mechanisms freeze without oil. Engine starts and runs fine but the timing is way off. = overheating.
another thing is low on coolant. There are two radiator caps. Which do you check?

or it could be as simple as leaves and trash between the radiator and A/C.
Or simply fail to flush the anti freeze semi annually.
Finally rubber rots on time not mileage. “Oh it’s only been 5000 miles since I replaced them all a decade ago.
Oops. It might also have to do with the lack of numbers on the instrument and people assuming the worst.”oh-oh the needle is more than 1/2 way across that means it’s overheating.

Last edited by Mguar; 04-13-2020 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:38 PM

I've got a catalog from these folks from near 25 years ago: https://techlinecoatings.com/tech-li...gine-coatings/ They're nifty folks and unlike some other coating companies, sell *MOST* of their coating products (including internal engine stuff) for DIY and small shop application. Not bad prices either. So it makes it easy for those with a good shop toaster oven to apply their own piston top, valve back, sideskirt, adn bearing coatings.. and even on the heads with a kitchen sized oven.

~Paul K.

Mguar (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member

thermal ceramic coated ,ported exhaust manifolds, 26yrs ago.
seems i'm the only one on this site that has ACTUALLY had the ceramic coatings done , NO pix says its not happened, just a talk show!
i spoke with Grp44 head engine builder 1994, he said they would of had there engines coated, but was not available then, it was just coming available!

Last edited by ronbros; 04-14-2020 at 08:00 PM.

Quick Reply: HE vs flathead and acceptance of boost pressure.