XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

HE vs flathead and acceptance of boost pressure.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

adding turbos can blow them UP also?

The following users liked this post:
Jonathan-W (04-26-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 04:38 PM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbros
adding turbos can blow them UP also?
Not as strong as a gm ls/lm. We know that.

Old 04-14-2020, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

MG you buy these old clapped out V12 jags and of course they are only junk/scrape!
i'm talking Cars raced at Daytona 24 hrs, that have been meticulsly built and tested,(incuding Grp 44 cars)!
TWR had a lot of overheat problems , and spent untold amounts of Jaguar money , before they finally (3/yrs) before they corrected cooling the V12 engines, almost nothing left of the original (inadequate) cooling systems!

by and by when you gonna shows us your car and engine with turbos, i'm beginning to think BS!
i know you will come back with a pile of B!
dont show that old 6 cylinder turbo rubbish!

The following 2 users liked this post by ronbros:
FerrariGuy (04-16-2020), Jonathan-W (04-26-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member

ivan do you even have a Jaguar CAR??
pix please something of truth!

Jonathan-W (04-26-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

now here yah go ,Ferrari has a catalog about engine coatings!
now thats Kool, i got about 4 of them!

can you guys do this ?

Last edited by ronbros; 04-14-2020 at 04:52 PM.
Jonathan-W (04-26-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,363 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by Ivan Hall
Adding turbos makes it fast. Probably push it to about 600hp with pump. That would at least wax a new ss Camaro.
Have you ever driven a SS Camaro with the 8 speed auto.. Wax it at what? 1/4 mile? Nope... XJS cant launch hard. Road Course? Nope XJS, too nose heavy, turbos would add 150 Lbs on the nose. Rolling 40?. No, traction limited, wrong gears will delay spool.. How will this 22PSI twin turbo, intercooled, custom ECU, XJS get all that power down to the ground and through what transmission?

All this is just my opinion and I'd love for someone to do it right with ring gap, oil squirters, intercoolers, a camshaft, head work, MLS head gasket, a proper fuel system and heat management but we're talking big bucks. Once you get there you're talking major time and money and the of loss of refinement a loss of that naturally aspirated V12 sound. All the things that would differentiate it from a turbo LS. Bottom line... a Turbo LS would weigh less, make more power, and be smoother than a V12 at the 500+ power level.

The following 3 users liked this post by icsamerica:
FerrariGuy (04-16-2020), Jonathan-W (04-26-2020), ronbros (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

thread’s run its course, just check back in for results

The following 2 users liked this post by xalty:
Ivan Hall (04-14-2020), Jonathan-W (04-26-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by icsamerica
Have you ever driven a SS Camaro with the 8 speed auto.. Wax it at what? 1/4 mile? Nope... XJS cant launch hard. Road Course? Nope XJS, too nose heavy, turbos would add 150 Lbs on the nose. Rolling 40?. No, traction limited, wrong gears will delay spool.. How will this 22PSI twin turbo, intercooled, custom ECU, XJS get all that power down to the ground and through what transmission?

All this is just my opinion and I'd love for someone to do it right with ring gap, oil squirters, intercoolers, a camshaft, head work, MLS head gasket, a proper fuel system and heat management but we're talking big bucks. Once you get there you're talking major time and money and the of loss of refinement a loss of that naturally aspirated V12 sound. All the things that would differentiate it from a turbo LS. Bottom line... a Turbo LS would weigh less, make more power, and be smoother than a V12 at the 500+ power level.
​​​​​​​Wow, for being so absolute and acting knowledgeable you seem to be unaware that a x300 xj12 has a 4l80, or you are unaware of what a 4l80 is. Also, prove to me a ls will be smoother, you can't. I am willing to listen. Also, "doing it right" is an opinion.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:16 PM

Here's my daily right now, life has been slightly rough with unemployment, but found a job. I have to drive my xj12 and it's frightening, ever have to rely on a jag as your only daily? How about one you payed $800 for a week ago and it has old tires and a knock? Yeah I got a knock now, it's audible until oil light goes away, then you can slightly hear it. My other daily is a 87 csx, and it's sitting because rear calipers are scarce and so are rebuild kits. And now, I can't quit this project, when people say it can't be done, it sucks because then I'll do it. I've almost died because people have said "you can't do it". It's probably how I'll die. But if I tear into my motor, all that I will do is arp bolts and more ring gap, and fettle the caps. Btw I haven't learned how to successfully upload more than one picture. It's going to feel great to drag a new Camaro.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 365 Posts

What kind of knock? I drive my XJS daily its more of a sublime bliss and feeling of superiority on the road. I mean when an XJS is on your tail you tend to shuffle over into the slow lane.

Describe the issue maybe we can help.

Jonathan-W (04-26-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 09:25 PM

Nice meaty knock from down below in motor. When started, it's pretty audible until oil comes, then it quiets down. I can feel it if I put my hand on the console or shifter.

Last edited by Ivan Hall; 04-14-2020 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 365 Posts

Have you tried to determine the source? Like crawl under while a friend starts it up. I've never heard of a v12 oil pump failing, maybe a ruined engine mount? This is a new one for me lol and I'm up to $35,000 in Jag problems.

I've used a few quarts of diff oil (75w110) to ...fix...similar issues in other vehicles. Maybe a video would help.

Old 04-14-2020, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbros
MG you buy these old clapped out V12 jags and of course they are only junk/scrape!
i'm talking Cars raced at Daytona 24 hrs, that have been meticulsly built and tested,(incuding Grp 44 cars)!
TWR had a lot of overheat problems , and spent untold amounts of Jaguar money , before they finally (3/yrs) before they corrected cooling the V12 engines, almost nothing left of the original (inadequate) cooling systems!

by and by when you gonna shows us your car and engine with turbos, i'm beginning to think BS!
i know you will come back with a pile of B!
dont show that old 6 cylinder turbo rubbish!

TWR should have taken notes from Group 44 The only time Group 44 had overheating troubles is when a stone holed their radiator one year and an accident smashed their ducting. another year.

As for my twin Turbo XJS, Why would you want a picture of that? It was a car built for $500 endurance racing series. LeMons &. Chump car. I sold that car a long time ago. It wasn’t very pretty to start with it only cost me $150. And the second hand Saab turbo’s cost $35 each
The only thing you would see is a stripped out car with a rollcage. Open the hood and a tube going through the inner fender. Into the injector. Pull the front fenders off and you could see the turbo.
This was built a long time ago, way before smart phones.

To be fair race cars have a lot less junk under the hood than street cars. But overheating wasn’t an issue. I run them rich enough to stay cool and with conservative enough timing to make them last

If you go on the web search for the 1958 Black Jack spl. You’ll see a very nice car. In addition to local success in vintage races. I finished 2nd to Sir Sterling Moss Driving the factory sponsored Aston Martin DBR2. in the 1986 Bahama Grand Prix.
Later In San Diego there is a picture of me winning over 2 Ferrari Testa Rosa, the 1956 LeMans Winning D type Jag The 1957 CorvetteSS Porsche RSK and another dozen stellar cars All with great provenance.

There is also a whole series of pictures of my race prepared Jaguar XKE V12 roadster. Another good looking car I built. tried to transfer some of those from my device without success but I gues I’ll wait for my granddaughter to show me how again

Last edited by Mguar; 04-15-2020 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member

Wow, for being so absolute and acting knowledgeable you seem to be unaware that a x300 xj12 has a 4l80, or you are unaware of what a 4l80 is. Also, prove to me a ls will be smoother, you can't. I am willing to listen. Also, "doing it right" is an opinion.
I think you missed my point. In order to get a Jag V12 to make the same power as a modern LS... turbo or NA it would need quite a hairy camshaft and other compromises. That would really ding the smoothness and refinement of the V12 especially at low to mid RPM's and that defeats the point in having a V12... especially at the kind of RPM you'd use in daily and fast road conditions. Smoothness is kind of a subjective thing though.

I'm quite aware. I know what a 4l80e is. I have a XJS convertible with one, I also had and XJS 6.0L coupe with one that failed. Now it's got a T56 magnum. It's a fine transmission but it's still a lazy 4 speed with a tight converter that's not ideal for boost as Jag configured it. The long life of the 4L80e also is helped considerably by GM's sophisticated torque management scheme in stock form and a massive aftermarket for GM products. If you want a 4L80e that can handle power with out torque management it cost thousands and the smoothness will be gone. Sure a higher stall converter would help but once you go down that road you start dismantling all the joy's the V12 experience.

I think you're really missing my point so I'll try to clarify... The V12 with T56 magnum I have isn't the fastest car I have and it not the best handling by far... BUT it's one of my favorite cars to take a drive on some back country roads with the windows down. It's kind'a good in the city too becasue of the compliant suspension, low speed torque and light clutch. A lot of the enjoyment has to do with the drive-abilty, light and precision clutch, prodigious torque, the v12 sound, and the absolute precision of the T56 magnum. With Turbo's, 600HP all that goes away with a heavy on/off clutch or lazy loose converter automatic, muted V12 sound from turbos, turbo lag, bigger cams that really ding low RPM drive-ability. A LS V8 can do all that far cheaper, smoother and make way more power.

So I guess it all depends what you want. Almost any LS can get to 600HP with perfect drive-abilty and road manners backed with a 4L80e or 6L90e tuned to handle the power. The aftermarket parts support and utilities like HP Tuners makes it a collaborative and realistic effort that stills come at a considerable price. Nothing like that exist for the Jag V12. No Jag V12 designed 50 years ago can do that and perhaps it shouldn't need to.. it's ok and probably better that way. Maybe some-one will do it some day but I know it wont be you or me. I've said it before and I'll say it again... someone with the knowledge, skills and money to do so would also have the intelligence not to try. I remember a few years back there was a thread about a 500 HP Jag V12... 500 HP seemed like a lot back then... it never got done. Now we're talking about 600HP, and suspending the laws of physics and thermodynamics... just day dreams.

So prove me wrong go turn some wrenches, weld some metal together and break some things. I cant wait to see it.

The following 2 users liked this post by icsamerica:
FerrariGuy (04-16-2020), Robert Michael Purington (12-16-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 01:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,251 Likes on 5,433 Posts

Originally Posted by VancouverXJ6
Have you tried to determine the source? Like crawl under while a friend starts it up. I've never heard of a v12 oil pump failing, maybe a ruined engine mount? This is a new one for me lol and I'm up to $35,000 in Jag problems.

I've used a few quarts of diff oil (75w110) to ...fix...similar issues in other vehicles. Maybe a video would help.
That is a big end bearing failing, almost certainly, nothing to do with the oil pump itself.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by icsamerica
I think you missed my point. In order to get a Jag V12 to make the same power as a modern LS... turbo or NA it would need quite a hairy camshaft and other compromises. That would really ding the smoothness and refinement of the V12 especially at low to mid RPM's and that defeats the point in having a V12... especially at the kind of RPM you'd use in daily and fast road conditions. Smoothness is kind of a subjective thing though.

I'm quite aware. I know what a 4l80e is. I have a XJS convertible with one, I also had and XJS 6.0L coupe with one that failed. Now it's got a T56 magnum. It's a fine transmission but it's still a lazy 4 speed with a tight converter that's not ideal for boost as Jag configured it. The long life of the 4L80e also is helped considerably by GM's sophisticated torque management scheme in stock form and a massive aftermarket for GM products. If you want a 4L80e that can handle power with out torque management it cost thousands and the smoothness will be gone. Sure a higher stall converter would help but once you go down that road you start dismantling all the joy's the V12 experience.

I think you're really missing my point so I'll try to clarify... The V12 with T56 magnum I have isn't the fastest car I have and it not the best handling by far... BUT it's one of my favorite cars to take a drive on some back country roads with the windows down. It's kind'a good in the city too becasue of the compliant suspension, low speed torque and light clutch. A lot of the enjoyment has to do with the drive-abilty, light and precision clutch, prodigious torque, the v12 sound, and the absolute precision of the T56 magnum. With Turbo's, 600HP all that goes away with a heavy on/off clutch or lazy loose converter automatic, muted V12 sound from turbos, turbo lag, bigger cams that really ding low RPM drive-ability. A LS V8 can do all that far cheaper, smoother and make way more power.

So I guess it all depends what you want. Almost any LS can get to 600HP with perfect drive-abilty and road manners backed with a 4L80e or 6L90e tuned to handle the power. The aftermarket parts support and utilities like HP Tuners makes it a collaborative and realistic effort that stills come at a considerable price. Nothing like that exist for the Jag V12. No Jag V12 designed 50 years ago can do that and perhaps it shouldn't need to.. it's ok and probably better that way. Maybe some-one will do it some day but I know it wont be you or me. I've said it before and I'll say it again... someone with the knowledge, skills and money to do so would also have the intelligence not to try. I remember a few years back there was a thread about a 500 HP Jag V12... 500 HP seemed like a lot back then... it never got done. Now we're talking about 600HP, and suspending the laws of physics and thermodynamics... just day dreams.

So prove me wrong go turn some wrenches, weld some metal together and break some things. I cant wait to see it.
I'm pretty sure you're unaware of the 4l80. Hd2 kit and they're known for taking 800 ft lbs of turbo ls. Also, none of the Jag v12's got torque management, unless they did. And new gen turbos aren't crappy like they used to be, a gt2871 starts 5 psi at 2500 on a 3 liter, that's quick, and will fully flow till 6500rpm. And who said I need cams to make 600hp with 15psi? I know an ls is better, but I can't afford the v12 ls, so yeah. Also, a 4l80 is stronger than any factory t56.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 734 Likes on 470 Posts

Well you're certainly not easily discouraged. First fix the knock in your motor, then we will see how much wind you still have in your sails.

Jonathan-W (04-26-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by 1 of 19
Well you're certainly not easily discouraged. First fix the knock in your motor, then we will see how much wind you still have in your sails.
Lol, as long as my crank is not marred, I'll keep going, if it's bearings, perfect opportunity for arp hardware and to shot peen main caps. If my oil pressure is fine, I'll run the **** out of it and see if anything changes.

Last edited by Ivan Hall; 04-15-2020 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure you're unaware of the 4l80. Hd2 kit and they're known for taking 800 ft lbs of turbo ls. Also, none of the Jag v12's got torque management, unless they did. And new gen turbos aren't crappy like they used to be, a gt2871 starts 5 psi at 2500 on a 3 liter, that's quick, and will fully flow till 6500rpm. And who said I need cams to make 600hp with 15psi? I know an ls is better, but I can't afford the v12 ls, so yeah. Also, a 4l80 is stronger than any factory t56.
You are right I'm no expert on the 4l80e, I guest I need to spend more time on the Sloppy mechanics web site reading. I'm kinda past the 4L80e.
You're not getting 600HP from 15PSI on a stock Jag V12. There this little problem called ignition timing per Lb of boost and generally speaking the law of diminishing returns set in. You'll need at-least 20 PSI and that's a lot of hot air. Did you ever turbo a car? I think not. Prove me wrong, never gonna happen. LOL. Put down the KB and grab a wrench and some metal and fuel and make them work together. Get your car on a fast road or track, straight or otherwise. Make a video, measure some HP, post some times. Stop typing and go do something. Then
when it all works perfectly just the way you planned.. make some videos, post what you learned and improve the collective knowledge of the XJS community. I suspect we'll all be waiting a long time. Good luck with your imaginary project. And BTW forget everything I said, you are right, and I bow to your clear advanced mechanical ability. Now get get a can of Kylon and some motor honey and fix that X300 right, the way that only you could.

Last edited by icsamerica; 04-15-2020 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:34 AM

Woah man, don't get butthurt so easily, have you seen the twin supercharged listers' numbers? 604hp on 10psi? Oh wow with an he head too? Dayum. Although it has slightly more cam and port work. And 20 psi isn't hot with new turbo tech and intercoolers. And I want you to expand on what you said at the end, "Now get get a can of Kylon and some motor honey and fix that X300 right, the way that only you could." Are you unaware that bearings are available?

Quick Reply: HE vs flathead and acceptance of boost pressure.