XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Head light with no power (93 XJS six cylinder)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016 | 06:35 PM
|
Default Head light with no power (93 XJS six cylinder)

I think I posted in the wrong place, hope I in the right place now. Anyway, I replaced my passenger headlight bulb and I seem to not be getting any power to it. The bulb I took out seem to have both filaments in intact and when I replaced it the new one did nothing as well. I'm not getting any code, even my X-lamp light is not lit up. I'm at a loss. Thanks.

Old 11-08-2016 | 06:43 PM
|

JAGUAR 93 XJ6/XJ12 Bulb Failure Module/Unit R/F 1993

Ii found this on e-bay, might this be part of my problem?

Old 11-09-2016 | 12:22 AM
|

I forgot that when I disconnected the battery to change the bulb, it erases any codes I might of had. Hopefully starting it up will send one and give me a place to start looking.

Old 11-09-2016 | 02:01 AM
Veteran Member

The LH front fuse panel has separate fuses for each head light 4 fuses in total so it could be as simple as blown fuse.

The Left front fuse panel is under the bonnet on the left side of the engine bay.

Here is a link to the electrical diagrams page 21 has the head light circuit

http://www.jagrepair.com/JaguarXJSEl...OBDIIcodes.htm

Old 11-09-2016 | 09:02 AM
Veteran Member

93xjs6cyl,

The car doesn't have a canbus system so don't expect to see any failure codes for something as simple as headlamp circuit.

Just get a multimeter and after checking the absolute basics such as fuses etc start checking for continuity / voltage at fuse / relay / wiring plug to bulb. Just do it logically and don't buy any parts including bulbs unless you actually know there's something wrong with the old bits.

Good luck

Paul

Old 11-09-2016 | 06:01 PM
|

ptjs1, I think you hit the nail on the head. All I did was pull and continuity check all the fuses I could find on the car and when I went to start up the car (no code except for the radio as you said), I checked the head lights and there it was bright as can be. When I first bought the car a couple of years ago, I went though about every connector and cleaned them. Looks like it could use it again. I just bought a new air filter and plugs and I might as well change the oil (maybe 2,000 miles on it). While I'm already working on it I might as well try to figure out what is up with the alarm system (did I get anybody to cringe?) Anyway thank you gentleman for your assistance. Hopefully, the problem with the headlight will stay gone at least for now. I will start a new post on the (God help me) alarm system. Oh, I almost forgot, all the fuses tested good. Thanks again, Frank

Old 11-09-2016 | 07:30 PM

Check the headlamp control unit. It is located on the drivers side inner fender under the hood. Take the unit loose and unplug it then take the case off of it and look at the solder joints on the circuit board. If you see cracks around the joints re- solder them and reinstall it.

Old 11-09-2016 | 08:11 PM
|

lake time,
Will do. Thanks for the information! Frank

Old 11-09-2016 | 10:37 PM
|

I have the "Jaguar headlamp logic module" apart and all the soldering looks good. No cracks anywhere on the board. I was going to replace the capacitor being they can go out of limits in time, but the only information that I have found on it is "Phillips 118 ko b3". Nothing that tells me the value or voltage. I saw some on e-bay, but there again all different values. I tried the headlights again before I took it out and the passenger headlight went out again. The connectors on this thing look pretty dirty, maybe if I clean it up, I'll get lucky but I think that's asking a lot.

Old 11-09-2016 | 11:17 PM
|

I just found a topic "Headlight relay DAC 6902" on this forum that with a slightly different issue but gives me some ideas on what to check out tomorrow.

Old 11-10-2016 | 01:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 93xjs6cyl
I have the "Jaguar headlamp logic module" apart and all the soldering looks good. No cracks anywhere on the board. I was going to replace the capacitor being they can go out of limits in time, but the only information that I have found on it is "Phillips 118 ko b3". Nothing that tells me the value or voltage. I saw some on e-bay, but there again all different values. I tried the headlights again before I took it out and the passenger headlight went out again. The connectors on this thing look pretty dirty, maybe if I clean it up, I'll get lucky but I think that's asking a lot.
Re-solder ALL the joints anyway.

It won't be a 118 most likely a 113

113 = 0.011uF (11nF) and the K is 10% tolerance the b3 is maybe a batch

Last edited by warrjon; 11-10-2016 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11-10-2016 | 01:25 PM
|

The circuit board is done except for the capacitor. This is all the information I got off it.
+L.L.
118 KO
Phillips
-100u-M
40v 125 deg. C
63v 85 deg. C

I took reading and it is at 91.51uf

So, if I'm reading this right it should be fine, or I can replace it with a new electrolytic that is closer to 100uf 100v.

Old 11-10-2016 | 02:36 PM
Veteran Member

93xjs6cyl,

You may have a problem with the control unit, but could I suggest again you just follow a simple voltage continuity trace back from the light first. If one light is not working, check for voltage back to the relevant fuse first. If OK there, check back to the control unit. Don't start assuming you control unit is at fault until you can prove you have voltage signal in then see it only coming on on side of the light circuit prior to the fuses.

Good luck

Paul

Old 11-10-2016 | 03:05 PM
|

Paul,
I'm pretty sure I found the problem. After I re-soldered the control unit and re-connected it, I tried the head lights out again and nothing. So, I went to the head light and just gave it a little tap and on it went. Hmm..So, I figured I must have a short in there some where. I took my flashlight and tried to see behind the light (loose but not out) and I can barely see two frayed wires sticking straight up. After I took the headlight out I saw that I have had a room mate (@#$%^!) Sorry about that. I haven't looked at my schematic yet but I have one green, one baby blue and yellow stripe, one black and one orange. The little sucker ate the black, and green completely and skinned parts of the others. My guess these are going to the fog lights (which never worked). After I soldering some new wire I'll get back with you. Thanks!

Old 11-10-2016 | 04:06 PM
|

Well, I cleaned it all up. The wires went to a connecter that wasn't being used. So either they were "hot" and grounding or I still have a problem somewhere. I turned the head lights on and off several times and everything works. Oh, I put the old capacitor back in the control module being it was still good. I guess time will tell if the problem is gone. Thank you guys for your help! Frank

Old 11-10-2016 | 05:05 PM
Veteran Member

Frank,

Really good to gear that it's fixed. Glad we were able to be of some little help. I'm a great believer in logically trying to just track the problem rather than buying any parts which may not be necessary!

Paul