XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Hell For Leather!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,812 Likes on 2,639 Posts

Originally Posted by pmarcian
Use the big waffle weave towels to dry. I usually spray some detail spray on as I dry.

Don't use fabric softener on them or anything else you wash/dry your car. Will dull the finish. May want to invest in some microfiber shampoo it will make them last longer.

Some good detailing info/videos here:

Adam's Instructional Videos (2009) -
Thanks

I will check out that Video

Old 03-12-2015, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Microfibre towel is definitely the way to go, so much better than a chamois leather.

Definitely use a "wash mitt" and NOT a sponge........a sponge will just drag any contaminants over your paintwork causing more scratches.

Love MER, have used it myself.

If you really want a little treat for her, I'd recommend a good claybarring session, and after washing / drying try "Poorboys Blackhole" or better still, Pinnacle Wax have a similar product that does the same great job

Pinnacle are a forum sponsor and usually have some great discounts for forum members and free shipping.

That product will go on as a glaze and will actually blend in very minor surface scratches rendering them invisible once buffed off to a HIGH SHINE

Here it is as used on the black bonnet of my XJ

Name:  XJbonnetreflections1260314_zps08b64ebb.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  31.2 KB

Here as on the bonnet of my Blue Audi A6

Name:  NorthLanarkshire-20130524-00951_zps2c67e111.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  34.9 KB

Name:  EastDunbartonshire-20130524-00952_zpsaa27aeb7.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  24.6 KB

Really nice job and thanks for sharing your experience...

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (03-13-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,339 Likes on 5,430 Posts

Nix is the first car I ever owned with Clear Coat. I've always heard that this stuff is soft and scratches easily so I wanted something I could clean said clear coat with and not leave "swirlies."

I went to the local edition of the World Famous WalMart, cruised the automotive department in search of; a) a good waterless cleaner because the car was clean to start with and I could see all the rubber leaked, I didn't want water spots like the PO left all over the hood, and; b) I wanted a polish that was easy to apply, inexpensive and durable.

First I found the Microfiber cloths. They were So soft I just Had to have a bundle of them, even if they might not be durable (which they are!!), I knew instinctively they would be gentle on my 6 layers of Clear Coat.

Right close by was a display of Meguiar's Ultimate Detailer, "The Missing Link Between Wash and Wax." I read the instructions on the label and was an Instant convert!

I have Never "Washed" Nix in the usual sense of the word, but at least once a week when she's road worthy, she gets a "bath" with Meguiar's, applied and polished with the softest Microfiber I can find.

In a year I've only used up One Bottle!! And the shine! Oh Man, It's Awesome!
(';')

orangeblossom (03-13-2015)
Old 03-13-2015, 04:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JimC64
Microfibre towel is definitely the way to go, so much better than a chamois leather.

Definitely use a "wash mitt" and NOT a sponge........a sponge will just drag any contaminants over your paintwork causing more scratches.

Love MER, have used it myself.

If you really want a little treat for her, I'd recommend a good claybarring session, and after washing / drying try "Poorboys Blackhole" or better still, Pinnacle Wax have a similar product that does the same great job

Pinnacle are a forum sponsor and usually have some great discounts for forum members and free shipping.

That product will go on as a glaze and will actually blend in very minor surface scratches rendering them invisible once buffed off to a HIGH SHINE

Here it is as used on the black bonnet of my XJ

Here as on the bonnet of my Blue Audi A6

Really nice job and thanks for sharing your experience...
Hi Jim

Wow! Now thats what I call a Shine!

I must try some of that Stuff and also go and get myself a 'Wash Mit'

Old 03-13-2015, 04:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LnrB
Nix is the first car I ever owned with Clear Coat. I've always heard that this stuff is soft and scratches easily so I wanted something I could clean said clear coat with and not leave "swirlies."

I went to the local edition of the World Famous WalMart, cruised the automotive department in search of; a) a good waterless cleaner because the car was clean to start with and I could see all the rubber leaked, I didn't want water spots like the PO left all over the hood, and; b) I wanted a polish that was easy to apply, inexpensive and durable.

First I found the Microfiber cloths. They were So soft I just Had to have a bundle of them, even if they might not be durable (which they are!!), I knew instinctively they would be gentle on my 6 layers of Clear Coat.

Right close by was a display of Meguiar's Ultimate Detailer, "The Missing Link Between Wash and Wax." I read the instructions on the label and was an Instant convert!

I have Never "Washed" Nix in the usual sense of the word, but at least once a week when she's road worthy, she gets a "bath" with Meguiar's, applied and polished with the softest Microfiber I can find.

In a year I've only used up One Bottle!! And the shine! Oh Man, It's Awesome!
(';')
I have to agree, 'NIX' Shines like a Star, I will have to get some of that Stuff (if I can pronounce it!)

Although I have got an electric buffer, I have never dared use it for the very same reason as you.

And although I am late to the 'Party' with using 'Microfiber' I can honestly say that I never knew what I was missing!

No more Chamois Leathers for me, 'Microfiber' all the way from now on.

LnrB (03-13-2015)