XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Help with Handbrake Warning Light and/or Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 06:52 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Help with Handbrake Warning Light and/or Sensor

Hi,

Not too sure what to do about this issue so just asking for some help.

I have a '95 XJS 4.0 (RHD)

About 4 months ago the handbrake cable broke, and purely because of work I've only just got round to sorting the job and replaced the cable.

I found the small piece of bar that hooks over the end of the cable sitting on the drivers carpet (phew), everything seems to have gone fine.

I have one small issue though. If I pull the handbrake on the light comes on obviously but when I release the handle back to rest the light goes off. If I lift the handle a few degrees the light comes on, If I let go the handle returns and the light goes out.

So I have this terrible issue of not seeing a handbrake light and accidentally driving off with an active hand brake occasionally (usually when I'm in a rush!)

Is there something else I need to adjust? Or have I lost something else when the cable broke? I can see various springs on the parts diagram but they are all part of the handle and not part of the cable mechanism.

Going to have another look at the weekend but just after some guidance from anyone who may have done this job themselves.

The service manual only mentions the cable replacement and adjustment (which I've done). Maybe I need to tension the cable some more?

Old 08-23-2019, 07:13 AM
Received 229 Likes on 148 Posts

Hello Andrew

My usual disclaimer - mine is a 1980, so quite a few years difference between our models

But on mine - the micro switch that controls the light switch is mounted near the top of the cable. So it is possible that the switch either got damaged or lost alignment when the cable broke - or when it was repaired.

I smashed mine getting the seats in and out for the rust removal process - genuine micro switches were expansive - after market parts cheap

1st thing I would look at

Cheers
Steve

The following 2 users liked this post by Bez74:
Andrew Harper (08-23-2019), Greg in France (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 09:49 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Steve,

That's a great picture many thanks.

I'll have a better look at the weekend and see if anything has come away or popped off the mechanism.

When the cable broke it was quite violent (as you can imagine) so I wouldn't be surprised if something moved maybe.

With the seat in place I can't see very well so I may have to loosen the bolts and move the seat slightly.

The difference on mine (from memory) is the pressure switch is below the arm rather than behind it (if that makes sense) as I can see it when I lift the arm. I can also push the switch in with my finger tip. I can see it's held in with two small rivets or bolts but I can't see if any adjustment is available.

Thanks again.