XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Help needed to identify a fuse/bulb holder on 84 XJS

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2022 | 10:44 AM
|
Default Help needed to identify a fuse/bulb holder on 84 XJS

Hi guysI need some help and advice on identifying a part.
iv tried service manuals and Jag dealers but not getting anywhere.
It's a 1984 XJS 3.6 SC cabriolet
I was having problems with a short circuit to the instrument cluster, so I took out the cluster and found a burnt out holder/connector but whatever was in the connector has burnt up.
Ok, what I know..
The main feed for the instrument cluster is from fuse 4 in the fuse box (under dash, driver's side. RHD)
This is double green coming in to fuse and straight white going to cluster. Before it gets to the cluster there is this holder I can't identify. Iv attached photos.
I can't work out wether it was a bulb (I don't seem to have fibre optic) or whether it was an inline fuse which as it was coming from a fuse wouldn't make sense.
It seemed to have a fair stranded fabric with very fine wire wound around it but there is not enough to identify it correctly.
Can anyone tell me what it should be in the holder? Photo or part number or both would be great.
Thanks in advance

One wire going to fuse 4, other going to cluster.

Old 01-13-2022 | 03:19 PM
Veteran Member

I am not clear exactly where that gizmo is in relation to the wires going into the instrument cluster. OEM all wires go into the cluster through the two multiplugs. Is that before the multiplugs?
Secondly that does not look to me like an OEM item. I have a feeling it might be a splicing device to join wires, and so maybe was a poor repair by the PO.

Old 01-13-2022 | 03:32 PM
|

Originally Posted by Greg in France
I am not clear exactly where that gizmo is in relation to the wires going into the instrument cluster. OEM all wires go into the cluster through the two multiplugs. Is that before the multiplugs?
Secondly that does not look to me like an OEM item. I have a feeling it might be a splicing device to join wires, and so maybe was a poor repair by the PO.
Thanks for the reply.
It must be OEM because there are no cuts in the wiring. From fuse 4 in the main fuse box, there is double green on one side of the fuse, and on the other side it is solid white. I have followed the solid white up over the steering column and as it comes over the steering column, to the right, it has this connector with no joins, it then continues to the smaller connector plug going into the cluster. I know that fuse 4 is the main power for the guages and reverse lamps. I would like to just go straight from the fuse to the connector (12v) without this part but I'm thinking there must be a reason it's there? With the center being wispy fibre and thin strand wire I was thinking fibre optic but the fibre optic bulb is a standard Lucas bulb.

Old 01-13-2022 | 11:22 PM

Hi mazzerman,

I cannot find this on any wiring diagram but doubt it would be a globe or fuse. As Greg commented, where along the wire is this? Could it ever be visible to the driver? I had a look on my XJS-C (RHD V12) and nothing on the white wire. Maybe some sort of protection for the gauges (though isn't that what the fuse is for?).

It has had some serious heat through it. You mentioned a short circuit. Do your gauges work at all or would this thing be the culprit? Perhaps you should check you have the correct fuse for that circuit and bypass this thing.

Cheers, Ian.

Old 01-14-2022 | 02:05 AM
|

Originally Posted by imitch1303
Hi mazzerman,

I cannot find this on any wiring diagram but doubt it would be a globe or fuse. As Greg commented, where along the wire is this? Could it ever be visible to the driver? I had a look on my XJS-C (RHD V12) and nothing on the white wire. Maybe some sort of protection for the gauges (though isn't that what the fuse is for?).

It has had some serious heat through it. You mentioned a short circuit. Do your gauges work at all or would this thing be the culprit? Perhaps you should check you have the correct fuse for that circuit and bypass this thing.

Cheers, Ian.
Hi Ian.
I couldn't find it in the wiring diagram in the factory manual or the parts manual. The Tach worked and the volt meter worked but the fuel and coolant gauges went max which made me suspect short to voltage, hence removing the gauges and finding this burnt out piece
The fuse on no 4 is correct amperage as per fuse facia. I want to just bypass it, all the guages and light bulbs should all handle 12v as far as I'm aware so it shouldn't do any harm I hope. It definitely wasn't visible to the driver, so I don't think it would be a bulb (except fibre optic) but I don't appear to have fibre optic unit behind the cluster for it to fit into.
It's a mystery what it is.

Old 01-14-2022 | 08:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mazzerman
Hi guysI need some help and advice on identifying a part.
iv tried service manuals and Jag dealers but not getting anywhere.
It's a 1984 XJS 3.6 SC cabriolet
I was having problems with a short circuit to the instrument cluster, so I took out the cluster and found a burnt out holder/connector but whatever was in the connector has burnt up.
Ok, what I know..
The main feed for the instrument cluster is from fuse 4 in the fuse box (under dash, driver's side. RHD)
This is double green coming in to fuse and straight white going to cluster. Before it gets to the cluster there is this holder I can't identify. Iv attached photos.
I can't work out wether it was a bulb (I don't seem to have fibre optic) or whether it was an inline fuse which as it was coming from a fuse wouldn't make sense.
It seemed to have a fair stranded fabric with very fine wire wound around it but there is not enough to identify it correctly.
Can anyone tell me what it should be in the holder? Photo or part number or both would be great.
Thanks in advance

One wire going to fuse 4, other going to cluster.
What ever that is I would guess it is/was a poor repair by the previous owner. There really are no individual wired lights to the instrument cluster and that looks like a bulb holder of some sort....?

Help me out. You said you traced the wires back to where and what, exactly? I think this is the important thing.

There may be a relationship between the issues you are having with gauges, and there may NOT be. We'll see when we see.

Old 01-14-2022 | 08:58 AM
|

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
What ever that is I would guess it is/was a poor repair by the previous owner. There really are no individual wired lights to the instrument cluster and that looks like a bulb holder of some sort....?

Help me out. You said you traced the wires back to where and what, exactly? I think this is the important thing.

There may be a relationship between the issues you are having with gauges, and there may NOT be. We'll see when we see.
THe bulb holder type thing that is burnt up has the 2 white wires coming from it. One goes to fuse 4 on the main fuse block which is the power feed for the cluster and reverse lamps. The other wire goes to the smaller of the connector's at the cluster. It is not an add on. It's the original wire from fuse 4 to power the cluster, it's just that this holder is in line and is a sealed connection therefore not added on later.if I disconnected just that one white wire at the holder, I lose everything at the cluster, no power, no lights nothing so it is 100% the power feed for the cluster. I just wish I knew what this holder was. But I'll probably just bypass it.

Old 01-14-2022 | 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

It is not an add on.
But it is...

Seems like the PO, someone, decided it was needed to straight shot 12v to the instrument cluster...

Old 01-14-2022 | 10:16 AM
|

But it is...

Seems like the PO, someone, decided it was needed to straight shot 12v to the instrument cluster...
Doesn't the cluster run on a 12v feed anyway?
If it does then why would it need any kind of mod?
I wonder if this is some kinda resistor?

Old 01-14-2022 | 10:33 AM
Veteran Member

Doesn't the cluster run on a 12v feed anyway?
If it does then why would it need any kind of mod?
I wonder if this is some kinda resistor?
Yes. Yes it does. If ya look thru the forum archive you'll see that powering (and grounding) the cluster is a real 'thing". Servicing and troubleshooting the ribbon on the back as well. At 30 yo many hands have been in and around these machines - I've been a bit surprised a couple of times by the things I have found.

Old 01-14-2022 | 11:08 AM
|

Yes. Yes it does. If ya look thru the forum archive you'll see that powering (and grounding) the cluster is a real 'thing". Servicing and troubleshooting the ribbon on the back as well. At 30 yo many hands have been in and around these machines - I've been a bit surprised a couple of times by the things I have found.
This is the wiring diagram from the workshop manual for the cluster. You can see on fuse 4, the green goes to the guages but the white doesn't seem to go anywhere. I don't know what upside down funnel is supposed to signify.
And I can't find any component that is "A" as in the diagram, all components are numbered so it's a bit confusing where the white is supposed to terminate.
On mine it goes to the cluster connector.
I wish there was something showing what "A" represents.

Old 01-14-2022 | 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Goodness knows I been looking at Jagz EDiagrams more than I ever thought I would, lol. I've just never seen the one you're work'n oft ah before...

Is this any help?

Old 01-14-2022 | 11:53 AM
|

Goodness knows I been looking at Jagz EDiagrams more than I ever thought I would, lol. I've just never seen the one you're work'n oft ah before...

Is this any help?
I think that's for a newer model. This doesn't have coils it's distributor, cables and plugs. Also the wiring doesn't match up to what I have. Mines a 1984 XJS SC 3.6 straight 6. But thanks for looking.

Old 01-14-2022 | 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

I think that's for a newer model. This doesn't have coils it's distributor, cables and plugs. Also the wiring doesn't match up to what I have. Mines a 1984 XJS SC 3.6 straight 6. But thanks for looking.
Okay 👌