XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Hess & Eisenhardt - Trouble or worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 07:01 PM
Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Hess & Eisenhardt - Trouble or worth it?

It's been over a year since I looked at buying an XJS. It was a nice looking red 77 coupe. Unfortunately there were too many unknowns to pursue it. It wouldn't start being the biggest issue.

Lately I've had the itch to look at others. One in particular is a 1988 convertible done by H&E. I've read that the fuel systems on these can be a nightmare when they go bad (two of everything).

I have not gone to see it yet mainly because it is a good distance from me. I was just wondering if they are worth having if everything is in good condition. I like the way the tops fold down almost out of sight. But the fuel tank being split in two and extra fuel lines running back and forth and up and down makes me wonder if I will be spending too much time running new lines everywhere.

Are there any H&E owners out there with any advice/word of caution?

Thanks.

Scott

Old 06-05-2016, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

I spent a lot of time checking out a H&S convertible before I ended up with my '89 XJS. The fuel system is very complicated. The two tank system allows the folded top to nestle down into the body which is a styling plus. The two tanks are connected by a three inch rubber elbow, fuel from the bottom tank is pumped up to the top tank- so if that elbow springs a leak it appears that the entire upper tank would have to drain out before the leak would stop. The windshield header bar is the front part of the coupe roof so it is painted metal. The top retaining clamps are very crudely done, even worse in the event of a collision there is a very good chance that your forehead could contact them resulting in a serious skull injury. They are located directly in front of you. I sat in the car and with my seatbelt on my forehead came very close to that awful clamp. I am only 5'10'' tall.These are not like on any other convertible you might see, very cobbled together. There is a very large, interesting X brace that is under the car , it ties the four corners of the sills together

The lines of the top are very nice raised or lowered, maybe nicer than the factory convertible, though the rear window is flexible plastic. The windshield header is not quite as clean looking as the factory model, and I mentioned the clamping system. I figured I could modify the top frame to use conventional header latches.

I read about the maybe urban myth that Jaguar bought up any of these with fuel tank leaks during the warranty period and whisked them off and had them crushed to avoid liability. My plan was to switch to a different fuel tank or cell located on the trunk floor, lot's of room for that, pretty easily done.

These cars have the cachet of being "coachbuilt" and they are rare. It should have a small coachbuilder badge on the front fenders. H&S built limousines and other custom bodied vehicles. I think that if you can address these two main issues and the car is in good shape otherwise it might be worth buying. Of course a later factory car would just have the usual XJS issues. Good Luck. There is more info available on line.

The following users liked this post:
2000JagLvr (06-05-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 10:51 AM

Thanks for the reply Rivguy.

I think I may have read all of the online posts about this particular model. I have even read posts that were directly taken from other web sites.

I guess that being there were only around 893 of these ever made/sold to the public, there aren't too many actual owners left. And how many are on this forum that are still active.

There seems to be a lot of "experts" on the "issues" these have but no one with first hand knowledge.

Thanks again for your reply.

Scott

Old 06-05-2016, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 851 Likes on 532 Posts

Hi,

My first XJS was the H&E and there were a lot of things I liked about it, but overall, my '90 factory convertible is a better car and I have no regrets making the switch.

Yes, the factory cars do look a bit like a baby pram if the top is down without the cover on, and the H&E has a sleeker top down look... however, that's only from afar. Standing next to the car, the factory car looks better and more refined.

The thicker padded top and glass window make a big difference when you are driving with the top up, and the factory cars are more rigid and handle better overall.

Finally, unless you do ALL your own work, don't even consider the H&E.

Last edited by Mac Allan; 06-05-2016 at 06:12 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Mac Allan:
2000JagLvr (06-06-2016), Dr Quail (06-14-2016), Greg in France (06-07-2016), orangeblossom (06-05-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 11:58 AM

Thanks Mac.

How long did you have the H&E?

Did you have any major issues with it?

Any fuel system issues? That's my main concern. I don't want to be a fireball on the 5 o'clock news.

I haven't seen one up close and personal so I'm not sure how I'll feel about the overall look.

I've turned a few wrenches on a few cars. As long as the engine doesn't go I should be OK.

Thanks again.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 851 Likes on 532 Posts

> How long did you have the H&E?

2 or 3 years.

> Did you have any major issues with it?

Other than fuel related, I would hardly ever drive the car if the top was up. The Cowl shake and various rattles and noises were too annoying with the top up. That was when the car was only about 6 or 7 years old, so those issues aren't going to improve with age.

> Any fuel system issues? That's my main concern. I don't want to be a fireball on the 5 o'clock news.

The fuel gauge was often worthless or would bounce up and down to the point of distraction.

The worst issue on mine was you couldn't drive it any great distance on hot days because you'd get fuel starvation and could hear the pump overworking and if you kept going, you'd eventually hear metal groans.

Even though I avoided ever driving that would strain the fuel system (which was annoying and only possible because we had several cars at the time) One day I went out to the garage, and the smell of fuel so bad I was afraid a spark would cause an explosion.

It took quite a few phone calls to Jaguar, but I eventually got them to replace the tanks under a recall. The service guy who did the recall told me that he couldn't believe I hadn't a failure much sooner, and that he could remember new H & E's coming in the dealer already reeking of fuel.

When I remarked that the recall replacement must resolve the issue, he laughed out loud and shook his head.

Last edited by Mac Allan; 06-06-2016 at 12:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dr Quail (06-14-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

Sorry, it wasn't that I was thinking I was an expert. I did take a really good hard look at the car. I was hesitant about buying it because when the owner and I finally got it started up it sounded like it had dropped valve seats. I was mulling it over for a few days and was about to make an offer when the car was sold to someone else. I thought that the issues could be addressed, I mean how many old mid Fifties Chevys or muscle cars have re-engineered fuel systems and chassis? So there are plenty of shops that can take care of these problem systems. I was going to take the plunge myself.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yup!

Were I ten years younger and my budget were as it was then,
I'd enjoy an even more different and thusly challenging car.

In about 62, I bought a near pristine red VW convertible.
Baby buggy/pram look with top down. Fun, "faster" with
top up than when down.

It's white canvass succumbed to the hot SOCal sun.
I installed a vinyl replacement. But, the head liner and padding
rotted out. Skipped that step. Not bad at all. Lost weight, easier to
drop, looked great...

36 HP a definite challenge on SOCAL freeways....

Carl

Old 06-08-2016, 09:19 AM

No problem Rivguy. Any input at this point is appreciated.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by JagCad
Yup!

36 HP a definite challenge on SOCAL freeways....

Carl
WOW! A whopping 36 HP. That would definitely get you killed on a SoCal highway today. I lived out there in 97/98. The drivers were a bit nuts for me.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

2000:

They were an adventure back when I drove them.

First time in 57. company assigned 557 Chev 150 six. Wow, door handle to door handle bumper to bumper at 65, coming in from the East!!

Then, in 64, moved there. No more company car. A "promotion" ??
Ten year commute from the SF valley. Various critters, including two
36 HP bugs. At that time, most drivers skilled and considerate. Just got to be too many of us!!

Moved to SF. another "promotion"! But, WC to SF on Bart. So much better... Except when the rascally union went on strike and stranded it's passengers!!!!

Carl