XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Hi all. Might be new owner soon. What do ya think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 597 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
As far as I know, the motorized seatbelts were USA market only. I've never seen a Canadian car with them. Starting in 1988 USA and Canadian emissions regulations were harmonized, so you might see an air pump on an 88, but not on an 87.

Personally, I would pick a car with excellent cosmetics and poor mechanical, vs the other way around. Mechanical can be solved reasonably inexpensively compared to doing paint or an interior. Both of those are very expensive to do properly, particularly the interior because may trim pieces are no longer available. Also look closely for rust, that hole in the trunk lid is odd, I've not seen therm rust there frequently. Look under the car and poke and prod to see how much rust there is. That can be very expensive to repair properly.

Good my first wife had a Saturn and those seatbelts pissed me off so much.. this car is going to be a 6 year project min. First year is going to get it running and road worthy. Cosmetics is the later part. I figure something must have fell against it to cause the damage and then rust following. I know where I can a trunk lid and most other parts so it's not an issue. I can do the repair work on the body myself. Dont like to but I can. And when and if I decide to paint I dont think I would keep the orginal black. Maybe viper red. Use to have a 85 c10 I painted that color.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member

Update. Everything looks like a go for pickup Saturday morning. Gonna be a long day as its 3.5 hrs away. During long weekend traffic. Almost had to postpone as work almost got in the way. Hopefully the weather is nice on sunday so I can get cleaning it up before I dive in.

Once i do get it home i will start a new thread for the car.

Old 10-10-2019, 09:30 PM
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I owned one. If you thought the motorcycle was expensive to own you will be shocked at the XJS. Unless you do all the work it will eat you alive and every trip will bring new problems. We have about 50 of these for sale here in Fl with 40k or less on them because they spend more time in the shop than driving them. Beautiful car like a beautiful women.... Expensive to keep... Good luck....

Old 10-11-2019, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Billieg
I owned one. If you thought the motorcycle was expensive to own you will be shocked at the XJS. Unless you do all the work it will eat you alive and every trip will bring new problems. We have about 50 of these for sale here in Fl with 40k or less on them because they spend more time in the shop than driving them. Beautiful car like a beautiful women.... Expensive to keep... Good luck....
My bikes have been great and cheap. Low mileage used ones. Yes all the work will be done by me. Theres maybe 60 for sale in Canada lol. So far I'll be in for 200 bucks including the rental of the car hauler. It's a no rush project.

Old 10-11-2019, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by Billieg
Mine sat for 12yrs. When I got it the driver's floor was missing. New floor $130 bucks shipped from the UK. Friend (friend now) welded it in for 100bucks. Noooo sweat. Just got a new downpipe for the driver's side $15 bucks, 25 shipping from the UK. Just dropped the rear and replaced calipers and rotors, 60 or 70 bucks. Joy from doing the work, priceless. I love what I'm doing. New leather all 2 seats, lol 400bucks. No sweat and I'm not a rich guy by any stretch of the imagination.

People who bring these cars to shops and mechanics to fix and for regular maintenance are doomed. It's a combo of reasons. One, the mechanic can almost tell the customer anything they want as far as cost because of the "reputation" that has been created (and I stress created) around these cars. This stigma llows for WAY jacked costs at the shop. 2, and I have learned this in the expertise, guidance and brilliance of those here, these cars require a level of knowledge that is uncommon... Honestly, I'm worried about turning her over to a 'regular' mechanic... Here in the US, these days, your mechanic MIGHT have been working at Dunkin Donuts last week.

When they came out I think a lot of everyday mechanics were turned off simply because the cars were not American cars.

I think there are a lot of reasons (I might go so far as believing industrial sabotage - competition for markets) are behind the powerful...

All I'm saying is, it doesn't have to be hard, it doesn't have to be expensive and,,, might even add years to your life to take on a project like this, or others... Blah blah blah

Anyways, here's mine. I would have to dig for some "BEFORE" type photos...

You don't need luck... You're going to be just fine....
Glad you're here...

Some work, a little doe, and I'm pleased...

The following users liked this post:
Bez74 (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
Mine sat for 12yrs. When I got it the driver's floor was missing. New floor $130 bucks shipped from the UK. Friend (friend now) welded it in for 100bucks. Noooo sweat. Just got a new downpipe for the driver's side $15 bucks, 25 shipping from the UK. Just dropped the rear and replaced calipers and rotors, 60 or 70 bucks. Joy from doing the work, priceless. I love what I'm doing. New leather all 2 seats, lol 400bucks. No sweat and I'm not a rich guy by any stretch of the imagination.

People who bring these cars to shops and mechanics to fix and for regular maintenance are doomed. It's a combo of reasons. One, the mechanic can almost tell the customer anything they want as far as cost because of the "reputation" that has been created (and I stress created) around these cars. This stigma llows for WAY jacked costs at the shop. 2, and I have learned this in the expertise, guidance and brilliance of those here, these cars require a level of knowledge that is uncommon... Honestly, I'm worried about turning her over to a 'regular' mechanic... Here in the US, these days, your mechanic MIGHT have been working at Dunkin Donuts last week.

When they came out I think a lot of everyday mechanics were turned off simply because the cars were not American cars.

I think there are a lot of reasons (I might go so far as believing industrial sabotage - competition for markets) are behind the powerful...

All I'm saying is, it doesn't have to be hard, it doesn't have to be expensive and,,, might even add years to your life to take on a project like this, or others... Blah blah blah

Anyways, here's mine. I would have to dig for some "BEFORE" type photos...

You don't need luck... You're going to be just fine....
Glad you're here...

Some work, a little doe, and I'm pleased...
Very sweet ride. Love the red. Yes my family and friends think I'm crazy. But I'm a car guy. I could be a drunk but fixing cars relaxes me.

Old 10-11-2019, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rescue119
Very sweet ride. Love the red. Yes my family and friends think I'm crazy. But I'm a car guy. I could be a drunk but fixing cars relaxes me.
Thanks!

Haha! I AM a drunk! Gave it up 12yrs ago... And, the car thing is completely new for me. Last 3-4 years... But I'm inclined. Now,,, 86 Honda GL1200 to be a racer/bobber,,, 86 928,,, 90 xjs XJS, and an XK8.... Allllll fun.

Old 10-11-2019, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
Thanks!

Haha! I AM a drunk! Gave it up 12yrs ago... And, the car thing is completely new for me. Last 3-4 years... But I'm inclined. Now,,, 86 Honda GL1200 to be a racer/bobber,,, 86 928,,, 90 xjs XJS, and an XK8.... Allllll fun.
Nice those gls are sweet as a racer.

Old 10-12-2019, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member

Todays the day!

The following 2 users liked this post by Rescue119:
anyoldiron (10-12-2019), JayJagJay (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 08:28 AM
Received 214 Likes on 139 Posts

I bought mine 12 years ago, one reason was because my dad always loved them but could never afford one and then got too old to have one himself.
I love the thing.
Before I bought it I had no experience of car mechanics so learnt on the xjs. One of the first jobs I did was take out the rear cage to fix leaking output shaft bearings and the inboard brakes. With the help of the jag experience on these forums you can fix pretty much anything yourself and (most of the time) enjoy it!
One thing I've always thought when taking things apart is how solidly everything is built on these cars...that's after I finished fighting the frozen rusty bolts!
Best of luck with your purchase, you going to enjoy it.

JayJagJay (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member

3 hrs til home. They said when they put it on the trailer it was stored on it was driven on so that was 2 years ago. The battery is dead but looks fairly new. Gonna be a fun couple of weeks. I'm going to start a new build thread soon and that's where my questions photos everything will be.

Bez74 (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 07:56 PM
Banned
Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

3 hrs til home. They said when they put it on the trailer it was stored on it was driven on so that was 2 years ago. The battery is dead but looks fairly new. Gonna be a fun couple of weeks. I'm going to start a new build thread soon and that's where my questions photos everything will be.
UHaul, Saving Jags everywhere

JayJagJay (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 10:12 PM
Banned
Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

Nice those gls are sweet as a racer.
Some things are styling just the way they are.....................................

Old 10-13-2019, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by anyoldiron
Some things are styling just the way they are.....................................
I hear ya,,, I started with pulling off a bunch O the plastic to see what was under(the)neith....

Got a ways to go!

Old 10-13-2019, 12:31 PM
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts