If you can wait a few days I'll be able to give a report on these:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...5398-a-248448/

Cheers
DD

Old 07-09-2021, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,920 Likes on 7,174 Posts

Originally Posted by Some Day, Some Day

Looks like I might be giving the 82C ones a go next, as the way the temp needle creeps past the middle mark at stop lights in summer always unnerves me, even though it usually only creeps up a certain way and stops. That bit on the Jag Lovers forum where someone said something about you can always tell a V12 driver from the back by the way their head is crooked around to view the temp gauge dead-on makes me wonder if someone's been spying on me.

Jaguar's decision to change to fixed-reading temp (and oil pressure) gauges is thus explained.

Somehow the 'middle reading' has become a holy grail.....causing lord-knows-how-much needless anxiety.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (07-10-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Somehow the 'middle reading' has become a holy grail.....causing lord-knows-how-much needless anxiety.
DD
I know! I know it's silly to worry about it wandering off to the right a bit, and I see why the Big Bumper cars had a normal range rather than any middle bit, but it's still something I can't help being a little bit paranoid about. Especially as I had a few problems when I first got her that took a bit of taming. Luckily, this sort of thing (see pic) hasn't happened since 2017....

Hot, humid summer day waiting at the lights after a decent run. Not a recent photo, I repeat.

The most I've seen her past the middle mark lately is maybe two needle-widths, and she always comes down pretty promptly after moving off. So the cooling system is currently doing its job. It's just that as Grant notes, the stats work hard and need replacing every so often, and as it's about five years, I'm in the market. Especially if I have to order a fuel pump.

I will also be interested in your report about the Stants.

Doug (07-09-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 01:04 AM
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Can I just pop in to ask more about those ones that are too short? I think this is on the topic under discussion here, but if not, tell me to take it elsewhere.... CUT
You have a lovely webpage, congratulations for your excellent layout and presentation. Really. I will read it when I have time. And, in my very personal opinion, your XJS model is the best of the series and is a coupé, not convertible (as Enzo Ferrari used to say: coupés are for going fast and convertibles are for going to show off).

I lived in Japan, Tokyo, Shotoh for 18 years and I loved the People (bar their total lack of common sense or practicality), their country, their efficiency, their precision, their kindness, their love for their own country, their forgiveness, their food, their history... I could go on for ever. I met my (Russian) wife there and my child was born there. We had to return to Italy to look after my ailing mother (I'm Italian and our mommies come first, at any age) but we are continuously thinking of returning to live there.

Reading where you come from and your webpage brought back memories and emotions... I miss Japan. The best country to live in.

6. Bonus Q. How easy is it to replace stats yourself? If it requires draining coolant, I don't have any way of disposing of it safely (legally).
I use to put large, rectangular, flower pots bases under the car. Tokyu Hands and Donki both carry them.

RockAuto has cheap prices but their overseas shipping is expensive, so I'll probably use another source. (Which is a bit of a heads-up to ascanio1 as well, actually.)
Thank you, yes. If you find a better retailer, please, post here. Also if you do post updates you can happily post them here, on my thread, as they would be related.

I am going to change also the radiator only because my car is 30+ years old and there is plenty of rust in the expansion reservoir filler cap and, if you dip your fingers in the filler necks, some muck sticks to your fingers.

Last edited by ascanio1; 07-10-2021 at 01:20 AM.
Some Day, Some Day (07-10-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
1. Correct, they do need a hole drilled as an air bleed, and you have the correct size.
What is this jiggle pin, this hole that needs to be drilled (to bleed air) and what purpose do these serve?

I was about to buy the Rockauto that you recommended in another post having to drill a 1.2mm hole, at the 12 o' clock position... all a bit confusing. Can you, please, help me understand? Is this hole difficult to drill precisely?

----------------------------------------------------
OT: To help you with multi quoting...
  • Select reply (the box that reads [" Quote]) and your new reply post page opens.
  • At the beginning of the quoted text, you will find the name of the poster and the number of the post that you quoted, contained within these brackets: "[" and "]". Let us call it initial mark.
    • Like this: [ QUOTE=************* ]. The *** are the name of the poster and post number.
  • At the end of the quoted text, you will find the word /QUOTE in these brackets: "[" and "]". Let's call it final mark.
    • Like this: [/QUOTE]
  • If you want to multi-quote a post, or even different posts (*), all what you need to do is copy these two initial and final marks and add in between them the portion of text that you want to quote. Repeat the process for any portion of the text.
Initially there will be only one initial mark and one final mark with all the text contained inside it. Copy and paste the initial mark, a bit further down, then cut and paste the portion of text that you want to quote and, finally, copy and paste the final mark after that portion of text. Now, after this final mark that you added, you can type your reply to that specific portion of text.

(*) If you want to add quotes from other posts or posters, save and post your reply to the first post and then go back to the second post and reply to it. Redo the same process (copy paste the initial and final marks with the text that you want to quote from the second post) but then discard and close this second reply to the second post. Go back to your already posted reply, to the first post, and insert in that first reply the text and marks that you just copied from the second reply before you discarded it.

I am sure that there is a better, faster way, but I use this method across all forums and it works regardless of which platform is supporting the forum.

Wow, reading it all over again, these instructions seem harder than fixing our Jaguars!

Last edited by ascanio1; 07-10-2021 at 01:57 AM.
Old 07-10-2021, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
Jaguar's decision to change to fixed-reading temp (and oil pressure) gauges is thus explained. Somehow the 'middle reading' has become a holy grail.....causing lord-knows-how-much needless anxiety. Cheers
DD
Does this mean that I should not worry as long as the needle of my water temp remains in the green zone? In summer, in traffic, mine is constantly towards the hot end of the green zone.

My green zone starts around 90*C and ends around 130*C (Jaguar XJ12 III series).

Old 07-10-2021, 03:37 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought the Radtec radiator for my V12 manual. It's a beautifully made item, works great and the company were really nice to deal with, so I can recommend them.

The following 2 users liked this post by HeWhoDaresRoyV2:
ascanio1 (07-10-2021), Greg in France (07-10-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 05:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ascanio1
You have a lovely webpage, congratulations for your excellent layout and presentation. Really. I will read it when I have time. And, in my very personal opinion, your XJS model is the best of the series and is a coupé, not convertible (as Enzo Ferrari used to say: coupés are for going fast and convertibles are for going to show off).
I lived in Japan, Tokyo, Shotoh for 18 years and I loved the People (bar their total lack of common sense or practicality), their country, their efficiency, their precision, their kindness, their love for their own country, their forgiveness, their food, their history... I could go on for ever. I met my (Russian) wife there and my child was born there. We had to return to Italy to look after my ailing mother (I'm Italian and our mommies come first, at any age) but we are continuously thinking of returning to live there.
Reading where you come from and your webpage brought back memories and emotions... I miss Japan. The best country to live in.
Thanks for your words, and for checking my site out. Haven't updated it in ages, as there's not been that much to say really.
Interesting that you lived in Japan, though. Eighteen years in Tokyo? Quite a long time, too. I've been here for 30 years this year, but not in Tokyo. Not a fan of huge cities. I don't know where "Shotoh" is though - doesn't ring a bell. Do you mean "islands"? (諸島, read "shotou" sometimes romanized as "shotoh"). Living on a small island would be a bit of a challenge in some ways. I've often heard people complain the Japanese lack common sense, but seldom that they lack practicality.

Italy is a very cool place - one of my favourite places to visit in Europe. I've been there four times now, and my wife loves it as well. I imagine that for living in, it would be almost the complete opposite of Japan in many ways, however. Apart from the bit about "mothers coming first" which is the same here. (And honestly, I rate the Frecciarossa above the Shinkansen: I love the maps and speed readouts shown on the overhead screens.)

I see you are also a man of impeccable taste when it comes to XJS models... .

Old 07-10-2021, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by HeWhoDaresRoyV2
I bought the Radtec radiator for my V12 manual. It's a beautifully made item, works great and the company were really nice to deal with, so I can recommend them.
Thank you, this is good to know! How is it working? Did you install electric fans?

Old 07-10-2021, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you, yes. If you find a better retailer, please, post here. Also if you do post updates you can happily post them here, on my thread, as they would be related.
Will do.
And as you're in Italy, I'd expect a European retailer would be less in postage. I've bought from David Manners and SNG Barrett, and lately I favour Berkshire Jag Components as they have great customer service, especially when it comes to shipping estimates (like I want to try out different combos of products to get the best bang for the shipping buck). However, their thermostat is the OEM Waxstat, which Jagboi says is too short really.

Old 07-10-2021, 06:44 AM

Thanks for your words, and for checking my site out. Haven't updated it in ages, as there's not been that much to say really.
Interesting that you lived in Japan, though. Eighteen years in Tokyo? Quite a long time, too. I've been here for 30 years this year, but not in Tokyo. Not a fan of huge cities. I don't know where "Shotoh" is though - doesn't ring a bell. Do you mean "islands"? (諸島, read "shotou" sometimes romanized as "shotoh"). Living on a small island would be a bit of a challenge in some ways. I've often heard people complain the Japanese lack common sense, but seldom that they lack practicality.

Italy is a very cool place - one of my favourite places to visit in Europe. I've been there four times now, and my wife loves it as well. I imagine that for living in, it would be almost the complete opposite of Japan in many ways, however. Apart from the bit about "mothers coming first" which is the same here. (And honestly, I rate the Frecciarossa above the Shinkansen: I love the maps and speed readouts shown on the overhead screens.)

I see you are also a man of impeccable taste when it comes to XJS models... .
I should have written Shōtō (松濤).This is a famous residential district of Shibuya-ku (渋谷区), Tokyo, Japan. Located on the southwestern part of Shibuya, this district borders Kamiyamachō on the north, Udagawachō on the east, Dōgenzaka on the southeast, Shinsenchō and Maruyamachō on the south, and Komaba on the east. One of the very few areas where homes cannot be higher than three floors.

30 years! You are my sempai by at least 12 years! And yes, you're 100% correct, Italy (especially Naples, where I live half the year) is the exact opposite of Japan. Here people attained the pinnacle of practicality and common sense but in all other aspects, where I praise the Japanese, they lack dismally. I am from Naples, originally, and I can vouch that my fellow Neapolitans score poor in all those areas where Japanese score the highest... 'poor' being a huge compliment...

Where in the countryside do you live? I have not yet read your webpage so I would not yet know. Rural Japan is so vastly different from urban cities... Tokyo recently exceeded 40 million inhabitants and my ward alone (Shibuya-ku 渋谷区) surpassed the 7 million inhabitants count when I left, in 2017. A mere ward in Tokyo is three times as populated as the largest city in Italy! It is wild... in the famous Shibuya-ku 渋谷区 crossing (near where I lived), on average, over 2.4 million individual cross every day, roughly 2,500 pedestrians on every crossing! The busiest crossing in the world. Not withstanding these idiosyncrasies, in my very personal opinion, Japan is, by far, the best country to live in!

-----------------------

But, before the forum moderators kicks you and I out for OT remarks and comments, as much as I would love to continue, let me bask in your compliments regarding my good taste for XJS: I adore the three quarters view, the C pillar is an iconic design that has been overshadowed by the E-Type's off the scales beauty (*). The E-Type stunning looks made it impossible for any car that replaced it to be fairly assessed and appraised. I believe that the XJS looks are formidable and the latest iteration smoothed out the lines, especially the rear, and made is a timeless piece of art. And I like the interior that says: if you need space, go get yourself a common German coupé. This is British zest with class and, if you have to look for practicality and space, then you can't afford an XJS.

My only regret, being a Daimler lover, is that it was never made with the Daimler badge...

(*) Ferrari, at the Geneva motor show where it was presented, famously exclaimed: "This is the most beautiful car in the ever made"

Last edited by ascanio1; 07-10-2021 at 06:49 AM.
Some Day, Some Day (07-10-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member

Sent you a PM about Japan stuff rather than clutter the thread too much....

Oh yes, that rear three-quarters view of the XJS is lovely. Those flowing C pillars are an essential part of the car's design, and why I never seriously considered a convertible. The XJS basically doesn't have a single wasted line: every line, every curve means something, flows naturally from the shape. Unlike too many modern cars with all their "exciting" nips and darts and creases and intakes and wings and whathaveyou. Purity of form stemming from the shape and proportions.
Lady Mary is my favourite model....

A Daimler version would have been sweet. I think one was considered at one stage, at least just as a mock-up perhaps. When it comes to the saloons, I do prefer the Daimlers (more wood, more leather, more luxury: what's not to like?).

The E-Type is also very sexy, but I find the head-on view a little like a fish. Like a guppy perhaps....

ascanio1 (07-11-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,920 Likes on 7,174 Posts

Does this mean that I should not worry as long as the needle of my water temp remains in the green zone? In summer, in traffic, mine is constantly towards the hot end of the green zone.

My green zone starts around 90*C and ends around 130*C (Jaguar XJ12 III series).
That green zone is illogical. I've never understood Jaguar's rationale in having it.

The middle on your gauge is 90ºC. Your temperature reading should remain just below the middle in most driving situations. By that I mean about one-needle-width below 90ºC. If your coolant system can't maintain the temperature in most driving conditions then you have a problem that can and should be repaired.

In some driving conditions the temperature might creep up a bit. Climbing a long hill or prolonged driving in heavy city traffic. Maybe a needle-width or two, or a bit more when ambient conditions are over 32ºC or so. This slight increase in temperature is no cause for alarm. It does not indicate impending doom or repairable fault.

Most gauges are marked so that a middle or normal reading occurs at about the point where the thermostat would open. Many, many years ago a notion took hold in the Jag V12 world that any increase in coolant temperature beyond thermostat rating (and thus any movement beyond the middle of the gauge) was overheating. As a result many owners nervously and constantly watched for that movement of the needle....almost like an obsession.

This level of concern is not warranted.

All that being said.....

In summer, in traffic, mine is constantly towards the hot end of the green zone.

This ^^^^^ is not good and not normal. Your cooling system has a fault or faults in need of correction. And you're obviously on a path to address the situation.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
ascanio1 (07-11-2021), Pirk (07-11-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,182 Likes on 2,100 Posts

What is this jiggle pin, this hole that needs to be drilled (to bleed air) and what purpose do these serve?
The purpose of the jiggle pin is an air bleed. Suppose you have drained the coolant for either a fluid change or thermostat change. Without the pin or hole, when cold the thermostats form a seal and no air or fluid can go past them. If you then fill up the radiator and header tank, you will have lots of liquid in the radiator and relatively little in the block, as the thermostats block the flow of air out of the block. Even if you started the engine, the coolant level will never get high enough to get the thermostats immersed and cause them to open.

The bleed hole allows the air to escape as you fill the radiator ( slowly) such that the block can be filled with liquid as well as the radiator. It also also any air to escape from the block while the engine is running,but not yet up to temperature. The jiggle pin does the same thing, but acts like a check valve. It allows flow in one direction only, so if the air tries to go back into the block the pin will be moved to block the bleed hole and close it off.

Position of the hole isn't critical, as long as it's in the mounting flange and doesn't interfere with the operation of the moving parts of then thermostat. It should be at the top, as air rises in coolant, so to let the air flow out of the engine block.

Thanks for the tip on quoting, I'll have to try that. That the great thing about the forums, we all learn from each other.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jagboi64:
ascanio1 (07-11-2021), Greg in France (07-10-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 04:01 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOT6E=ascanio1;2414787]Thank you, this is good to know! How is it working? Did you install electric fans?[/QUOTE]

It's been great, actually. I went from electric fans on an original radiator back to the viscous with the Radtec radiator on the advice of the Jag specialist I use. Cooling never seems to be an issue, albeit tin the cooler climate of the UK.

ascanio1 (07-11-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 02:49 PM

Thank you Doug for confirming my conviction that I had a serious cooling system problem. I agree that the green zone is silly. Why put it there? And why green? Green suggests the idea that all is ok.

Old 07-11-2021, 02:53 PM

Thank you. This was really very useful! It makes sense. Kindly, could you please post images of both the hole and the pin?

Old 07-11-2021, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by HeWhoDaresRoyV2
I went from electric fans on an original radiator back to the viscous with the Radtec radiator on the advice of the Jag specialist I use
Did he give you a reason for this switch back to belt driven?

Old 07-11-2021, 02:59 PM

WOW ! what an image! Splendid!

A Daimler version would have been sweet. I think one was considered at one stage, at least just as a mock-up perhaps.
Really? Does any one know anything about a Daimler XJS?

Some Day, Some Day (07-12-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,182 Likes on 2,100 Posts

Really? Does any one know anything about a Daimler XJS?
A prototype was made, it's in the collection of Jaguar Heritage: https://www.jaguarheritage.com/car/1...j-s-v12-coupe/

The car was featured fairly recently in Jaguar World magazine.

Last edited by Jagboi64; 07-11-2021 at 03:08 PM.

Quick Reply: High efficiency cooling system upgrade