XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Hmm is it worth anything or did i lose 1988 xjr cabrilo

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 02:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hmm is it worth anything or did i lose 1988 xjr cabrilo

Hello im art

just received a jaguar xjr cabrilo 1988

one owner paper work for maintaince runs rough need tune up have not been moved in 6 months has 93k miles v 12

in decent condition has minor body damage paint is still shinning

anybody have any info on the car mentioned something about being one of 5000 made and one of 300 shipped to states maybe just smoke to take the deal

what is the value of the car roughly and is it worth restoring??

thanks for all your help in advance

Old 06-15-2014, 04:40 PM
Received 4,304 Likes on 3,721 Posts

I've moved your post to the XJS section

when you have a moment please stop by the new member section and post an into. In turn, you will receive a warm forum welcome and useful tips for navigating your way around

New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

enjoy

Old 06-15-2014, 08:43 PM
Received 10,518 Likes on 6,948 Posts

Welcome aboard.

The Cabriolet, AND the Convertible were very low number cars.

I dont have build numbers, but down here any Cab or Conv is not trashed unless run over by a Caterpiller tread tractor. They are restored/rebuilt, generally, no matter what it takes.

The WORTH, who knows, much like "how long is a piece of string". Look at other Jags (E Type, MK2, etc), and I dont believe anyone would have predicted/expected the $$ to be where they are for these models.

To "turn a quick $", well, I simply dont know.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

Someone just asked the same question... see my response below:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...7-xjsc-119414/

Old 06-16-2014, 02:06 AM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

Hi Art,

Welcome to the forum. The issue of "cost to restore and is it worth it" is a question that can only be answered with each car involved and each personal situation. I would caution you to proceed very carefully as the value of these cars right now does not come close to the cost to restore one in fair to poor condition. Even if you take a car like Matthews which is a one owner California (no rust) car as he stated $9K had been spent on the car in just the last year before he purchased the car. I would also caution about the issue of rarity of these. Just because something was made in limited numbers does not mean it will be worth more in the future. Rarity of a car without demand just means harder to find parts, cost to get parts is higher but without demand price of the car will stay flat. My personal concern about the xjsc is that it did not sell well in the first place for a reason. It really was a stop gap measure by the factory to get something like a partial convertible out in the market until the factory had the time and money to get a true convertible ready. From what I have read the xjsc was not well received because taking the top parts on and off was rather cumbersome and time consuming and the average person buying this level of car was not in the mood to put up with it. The other issue was the car was not a true convertible and people really wanted to get the xjs as a true convertible.

So to all of the xjsc owners who read my comments please do not take offense. Each of us buys and owns these cars for different reasons and there will always be a group that loves the xjsc for their own personal reasons. I am just trying to help any one who is trying to make a decision on how far to go with one financially before they get started.

I remember a person a few years back who bought a 1987 xjsc from a family member that was in very rough shape. This person very quickly had much more into the car then it was worth and the car was still in pretty bad shape. The biggest issue right now with the xjs when it comes to decisions of restoring a rough or poor condition example is that you can buy a pretty decent low mileage example for less then what it cost to have a poor example get taken apart and repainted by a good to above average body shop. This does not even take into account the cost to bring a V12 up to specs or bringing a poor condition interior up etc. The best advice I can give when it comes to buying any xjs is buy the very best you can afford. Do not under estimate what is cost to bring a poor to average condition car up to above average condition. Buy what you want even if that means waiting until you can get what you want because chances are no matter what, you will not get back what you will put into these cars if you buy a poor condition high mileage car and bring it back to a decent level.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys are great and respect the love you guys have for these jauguars its amazingly good

i have decided to sell it at auction for 2k no reserve and let the market place a value on it

have original sticker says 57k and 8k worth of maintance its a great find for the price and price is market value

all that said great info learned a bunch

Jaguar XJS XJS C | eBay