XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Hot Rod XJS

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2020 | 11:30 PM

Not a XJS, but sometimes you just need to think outside the box

The following 2 users liked this post by Bez74:
ronbros (08-06-2020), Timeisrelative (08-17-2020)
Old 08-15-2020 | 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bez74
Not a XJS, but sometimes you just need to think outside the box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMm_9R6ZUtM
This car is awesome. As someone who owns a jag with that exact engine, I'd never swap it into anything. They're large, heatsoak easily, and parts are overpriced. I do love it in my XJR though.

Old 08-15-2020 | 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Ezrider
When it's time for a redo in my car I'll probably be looking to for the 7-800 hp mark so no v12 is not my best option plus my car was a 6cyl car to start with

It's all about what you want to do there is no one size fits all.

Personally how reliable it is, is not a huge concern to me. I don't expect something like what I have to go 100k trouble free. Iv got more money in my car than it's worth but I don't care have no plans to ever sell it. Iv probably got 20k miles on my setup so far if it blows up tomorrow I don't care. Would just be a excuse to redo it differently and change things up a bit.

Xjs is a unique car I have no real desire to have a camero or Chevelle a hot rod jag is not something you see very often.
I wouldn't debate with Mr Dampier (Mguar) because obviously he can only stay in his narrow thought of mind in regards to v12 vs LS engine. Plus, he's consistently moves the needle and get off topic. I've known him for years lol He does have awesome racing experience way back in the 70s-90s. I'll give him that.

The following users liked this post:
Ezrider (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020 | 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by VancouverXJ6

Here is lower, and sharper.
Love the look of those much larger basket weave wheels

Old 08-17-2020 | 01:09 PM

ICSAMERICA,
Your article about changing motors in an XJS says you'll beed to "brace the IRS". I am not familiar with that term IRS, please spell it out for me...
Thanks,
xjsrookie
Converting to a V8
90's Chevy LT1 is a good match and costs are reasonable. If done right with alu heads...It drops at least 400Lbs off the nose and with typical mods like headers and roller rockers its at the limit of what the chassis can handle so only basic chassis upgrades are necessary. The weight drop helps everything, especially handling and breaking. Any LS conversion other than a 4.8 will overwhelm the chassis IF you have traction. No traction...no problem. If you want to get the power to the ground you'll need to brace the IRS. In the pict below you can see a propper V8 exhaust and IRS bracing.

Old 08-17-2020 | 02:15 PM

IRS-Independent rear suspension

Old 08-18-2020 | 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

Brace the IRS? Please show pictures. The factory dealt with the conflict between the arc of the axles and the arc of the trailing link by using rubber mounts on all of those points.

Racers eliminate the rubber mounts completely. Thus lowering the ride height and eliminating the conflict by bringing the trailing link In at approximately a 45% angle to line up with the Pivot point of the inner axle lower link. Look at the way TWR mounted their rear suspension.

You can also eliminate the drag link completely if you brace both the leading and trailing lower links of lower control arm. This only works with the 4 shock IRS not the 2 shock later one with the outboard brakes.

Edit; I looked at what you call a brace. It’s many entries up and not complete picture. But it prevents the IRS from working properly.

As I said the conflict between the arc of the axle and the arc of the trailing link is met by the movement of the whole assembly on rubber. You’ve effectively tied the axle in place. Preventing the compromise.

That will not allow the rear suspension to work as designed. Only the trailing links rubber is allowed to work and massively increases the loading on that trailing link.

Last edited by Mguar; 08-18-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-18-2020 | 09:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xjsrookie
ICSAMERICA,
Your article about changing motors in an XJS says you'll beed to "brace the IRS". I am not familiar with that term IRS, please spell it out for me...
Thanks,
xjsrookie
Converting to a V8
90's Chevy LT1 is a good match and costs are reasonable. If done right with alu heads...It drops at least 400Lbs off the nose and with typical mods like headers and roller rockers its at the limit of what the chassis can handle so only basic chassis upgrades are necessary. The weight drop helps everything, especially handling and breaking. Any LS conversion other than a 4.8 will overwhelm the chassis IF you have traction. No traction...no problem. If you want to get the power to the ground you'll need to brace the IRS. In the pict below you can see a propper V8 exhaust and IRS bracing.
As you said a professional installation will cost $20,000.
If you must have a V8 engine Jaguar makes a lovely V8 that is both lighter and stronger than the pushrod Chevy.
You can also get up to 560 net horsepower stock.
But for the $20,000 you’d spend you could buy the newer lighter XKR and not have to wait.