XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

How easy is it to fit a rear Anti Roll Bar and where can I get one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,771 Likes on 2,611 Posts

Originally Posted by ptjs1
OB,

It's worth doing the sums carefully. Remember if you're doing either the springs or shocks on the rear, there's no more labour to do the other, and if springs need replacing, then shocks will as well.

As we know, springs and shocks are a minefield with large numbers of rubbish pattern springs out there that will sag within months. Only use really reputable springs.

When it comes to shocks, there's a whole range available in the UK where you are. And prices can be surprising from quite cheap to very expensive. I'm not sure who made the sports shocks for the pre-facelift convertibles but as an example: sports shocks from Jaguar £106+ vat, Bilstein B6 £178, Gaz adjustable height £105.

So time to sit down with a calculator maybe?!

Paul
Hi Paul

OMG! its quite an expensive mod, which may have to wait until I get my other Car back on the road.

By which time I might not have enough to even by something like a Calculator.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,771 Likes on 2,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Quail
I have a set of clips, that bolt to the rear IRS strut right next to the rear radius arm ( no removal of the arms and welding required) that allows you to bolt to it and allows the same mount at the existing studs (hanging down) unused. In the UK...I think Harvey Bailey has a similar design......PM me if you want a set from the US. Use the original struts from Jaguar breakers, along with the links....per.....The Grant of Francis of OZ, Best, JW
Hi That sounds interesting

Many Thanks.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:58 AM
Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey BB:

What's a HBE quick-rack steering rack? I have never seen nor heard of this, and a quick look at HBE's site doesn't help. Do they really offer a steering rack with a different pitch gear in the rack to reduce turns to lock?

I have thought of adding a fluid throttling kit to make the steering a bit more higher effort and thus impart an improved feel, but I wouldn't mind decreasing the turns to lock if that was possible.

-M

Originally Posted by Brake buster
same here ,

though i have fully adjustable dampers on the front and back at the moment,

i actually have a HBE quick-rack steering rack that has never been fitted in storage as well , and i have a quick-rack already installed in the car ,

i have everything to fit the rear ARB , except for the bar its self , so might be tempted by the ones on ebay as above

BB

Old 06-24-2016, 12:54 PM
Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts

Reinforced floor mount location

studs upper left under rear seat

reinforced body plate where studs come through

My 95 does not have the 4 studs to the body mount and does have the correct radius arms. I have a rear bar with end links and middle bushings, but no "U" bracket I purchased 2 years ago with the intent to install when I replace all the rear bushings, shocks and springs. I will need to reinforce the floor where the studs are located. The factory was not consistant with the radius arms and rear studs.

The following 2 users liked this post by RonaldP:
orangeblossom (06-24-2016), xjsv12 (06-24-2016)