XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

How I removed the fuel pump on my 96 xjs without moving the gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2023, 09:08 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alabbasi
I was able to do this job without cutting (twice) as you can unbolt the tank and slide it out just enough to reach in and pull the canisters out. It was more fun then you could possibly imagine though.
Thank you! Did you have to unbolt the fuel filler hose? Did you use an oem pump or the recommended Walbro one?

Going to take on this project next weekend so wish me luck.

Old 04-17-2023, 10:41 AM
Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

Yes, I had to unbolt the filler from the top where it mounted to the body of the car. I can't remember what pump I ordered but I'm pretty sure I got it from autozone or oreilly. Get the best pump you can find as this is not a job that you want to do twice. The biggest problem I had was that the little stands that the pump canisters go on were swollen and all messaged up from sitting fuel. I had to replace those with used ones that I bought from a member on this forum.

Old 04-17-2023, 03:19 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I would recommend using only Gates Barricade hoses. Be warned, they are not cheap. These hoses cost per inch, what you may have been used to paying per foot for normal hose.

Furthermore, the 1994 XJS will most likely use a different pump than what ICS was using. I would order from definitely look up the part number from JDHT, and hopefully that will help you confirm the cross referenced alternatives. RockAuto is one place to look.

The following users liked this post:
Arnaldo (04-25-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,365 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Arnaldo
Hello everyone this is my first post!
I know its been a while since this post but I have a 1994 XJS 4.0 that's giving me low fuel pressure problems. You guys have given me the courage to attempt this repair myself and I would like to try the Walbro pump instead of the OEM. Could you tell me the model number of the one you used ICSAMERICA?

Also, In case all the hoses inside have gone to mushhh!... what type of fuel hose would be the correct replacement?... (inner diameter, submergible etc)

Thanks so much!
I used a 1995 Mustang fuel pump by walbro. These are a bit more noisy that the OE pump. Buyer beware, there a lots of low quality fuel pumps that may fail shortly after installation so I always pay up for a Walbro or Bosch. When Ford owned Jag they simplified the parts sourcing so I think the Mustang item is it's a direct or close enough.

For the in-tank line you need to use hose specified as SAE J30R10 (this is a low temp material for in-tank use only)
Any fuel line out of the tank needs to be SAE J30R09 for pressurized lines and SAE J30R07 for non-pressurized lines (return only)

Last edited by icsamerica; 04-17-2023 at 07:15 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by icsamerica:
Arnaldo (04-25-2023), Greg in France (04-18-2023), Roger Simpson (10-20-2023), Vee (04-17-2023)
Old 04-25-2023, 03:37 PM

Thank you everyone! I'm halfway into this project and realize that as Vee indicated, my '94 uses a different pump (actually a smaller Walbro) and different mounting system to the ones icsamerica has in his photos. My pump is mounted internally in a plastic container that then has a rubber base attached to the bottom of the tank. Because of this the bigger Walbro does not fit.

Do you guys think I should try to adapt the pump to fit? I have a dremel, Epoxy and lots of zipties! 😂

The bottom of the tank. Those hooks attach to the rubber base of the fuel pump canister

The old pump actually seemed to be working but there some sort of a constriction in the fuel outlet.

bottom of the plastic fuel pump canister the rod part is the inlet (w check valve) and the filter is attached below the canister.

new and old Walbro

The old pump attached directly to the top of the canister and was sandwiched inside

Surprisingly spacious trunk, could definitely fit a few bodies 😂

Old 04-25-2023, 04:02 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Not sure about the pump, but please make sure to replace those hoses inside the tank! Please record and report the sizes of the hoses used.

Make sure they are rated to be submerged in fuel.

The following 3 users liked this post by Vee:
Arnaldo (04-25-2023), Greg in France (04-26-2023), ptjs1 (04-26-2023)
Old 04-25-2023, 04:14 PM

Yep! Got a few of these submersible 5/16” Gates hoses following icsamerica’s recommendation. They are SAE30R10

Gates 27093

The following 2 users liked this post by Arnaldo:
Greg in France (04-26-2023), ptjs1 (04-26-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 09:55 PM

Adapted my new heavy duty Walbro pump to fit in the plastic canister that sits inside the tank of my '94 XJS v6. I plan to connect the fuel outlet line directly to the the pump and the return line can just float inside the tank. Should be slightly easier to access if I need to in the future

What do you guys think?

Drilled a second large hole to allow fuel to freely flow in and out of the plastic enclosure

New fuel pump is securely held inside

filter will attach to the bottom

Old 05-06-2023, 04:13 PM

Success! And seemed to have solved all my fuel pressure woes with this powerful new pump. Getting a stable 42psi at the rail now. Yay!

Thanks for all of your help!

New pump installed

Original hose was toastttt 🤪

The following 2 users liked this post by Arnaldo:
Greg in France (05-07-2023), ptjs1 (05-06-2023)
Old 07-17-2023, 03:29 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

May i step in here? So, as everything else with my jag, small problem turned big.
jaguar xjs 1992 with fuel pump similar to previous post
had fuel odor, found that its coming from evap flange, specifically from the plastic connector, one of the pins melted and previous owner just passed one wire directly through the connector by drilling hole, but he didnt silicone it.
Anyway, i found second hand flange with new connector, but the problem that the blue connector was already destroyed

no problem, went to scrape yard, found similar connector that sits tight. But i have to solder it and i should do it right with proper dielectric grease and heat shrink, for that i need to get fuel pump assmble out, but i cant remove fuel tank (ok, i dont want it, as it will brake something else) , so i moved tank as previous authors in this thread, managed to disconnect fuel lines with one hand, take the rubber base from its brackets, but cant now remove this plastic assembly with rubber mount attached.

Can someone please tell me how in hell that rubber mount sits around plastic tank assembly? can i just pull plastic assemble out inside the tank and then take it out ? or i better take the cap off?

Old 07-17-2023, 07:02 PM

Don’t even try to take the plastic cap off inside the tank. My plastic container came out of the rubber base fairly easily… there was a big zip tie around the outside of the rubber which I snipped off and then I believe you sort of twist the plastic part within the rubber. Also keep in mind that the pump filter comes out the bottom of the rubber housing and may need to be tilted to clear the lip.

*feel free to DM me and I’ll walk you through it.

Arnaldo

Old 07-21-2023, 03:17 AM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mouserider
May i step in here? So, as everything else with my jag, small problem turned big.
jaguar xjs 1992 with fuel pump similar to previous post
had fuel odor, ...
Once you've released the rubber mounts (3) from it's metal bracket, and have disconnected the fuel lines from the pump module, you should be able to pull out the module with the isolator zip tied to it. You may have to fold in one rubber mount to get it through the hole. Definitely not a job for the weak. This in-tank design was first introduced in the XJ40 and the EVAP flange and the fuel pump module had multiple design revisions within it's short live span. I've ended up replacing the entire tank with a tank from a 1995 MY which is galvanized and used the updated in-tank sump pump design and EVAP flange also first used by the X300. Imho, this was a ****-pour design and ease of service was obviously not high on Jaguar/Ford's priority list. If they would've stuck with the pre 1992 MY external search tank design, galvanize all the metal parts and add an internally mounted fuel pump to the surge tank, this could've worked out better.

Old 07-21-2023, 06:01 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

oh my gosh, thats was hell of a job, just fixing the connector tuned to a whole week nightmare, i should have removed the tank ) Anyway, now its all done but i cant get flange to sit in the rubber mount, it just wont, im really pissed and will get back to that after couple of days of beer and beach.

Thanks everyone