XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

How to Price and Where to Advertise 1990 XJS

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 06:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Price and Where to Advertise 1990 XJS

Hi, I recently acquired a 1-owner, very nicely maintained 1990 XJS from an estate sale that was a daily driver. It has 80K miles, and runs fantastic. Only issues are the headliner, the A/C needs an expansion valve (as determined by the local A/C experts), and the pass window will stop at the half-way point when going up. I'm not opposed to parting it out but it's in such beautiful condition I would prefer not to.

What is the best way to determine the selling price, either whole or parted-out and where is the best place to post ads to reach the most Jaguar entusiasts?

Here is a link to the pics:
http://s615.photobucket.com/albums/tt238/Roch_Johnson/

Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise!

Old 10-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Default XJS Shop Manuals

Also have a set of Shop Manuals if anybody needs them...

Old 01-04-2010, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Roch
Also have a set of Shop Manuals if anybody needs them...
I could use the shop manuals. They're good for a 1989 V12 convertible as well?

thanks
Chris

Old 01-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

DO NOT CHOP UP this car... It is still in great shape, just needing some odds and ends to make it a nice weekend cruiser.

Sell it as is to someone who knows what the car is and how to properly care for it.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Where are you? I noticed FL tags on the car.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

I also just found what appears to be, a very nice 1990 V12 XJS coupe with 72k miles.

It is silver with the blue/gray leather. Both the paint and leather are in great shape. No body repairs that I could see, cranks, runs. Second owner bought from an estate sale for resale. Obviously spent its entire life in a garage. Atlanta car now in rural north Georgia which makes selling it a little difficult.

My own car is a XK8 and have no financial interest in this one, I do not own it and am only interested is in finding a good home for the little orphan with a family that appreciates a Jaguar.

Then, on the other hand, it is not really 'little'.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the prior posts. It looks like a nice car from the photos. (but no undercarriage or engine compartment photos.) Unfortunately, these are not "flip" cars, unless you paid like $500 for it - then you might clear a bit of coin. It would be a crying shame to part that car out, though if you did you would likely get more for the sum total of the parts. That would require lots of time, a place to keep it, knowledge, skill and tools to take things apart without damage, shipping aggravations, what to do with the carcass, etc. If you either bought the car as a flip or realized that may require more attention/$$$ than you thought, you should be able to find a buyer. Price and patience will be key. Check prices of concluded auctions on ebay for similar cars.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by FL XJR
I agree with the prior posts. It looks like a nice car from the photos. (but no undercarriage or engine compartment photos.) Unfortunately, these are not "flip" cars, unless you paid like $500 for it - then you might clear a bit of coin. It would be a crying shame to part that car out, though if you did you would likely get more for the sum total of the parts. That would require lots of time, a place to keep it, knowledge, skill and tools to take things apart without damage, shipping aggravations, what to do with the carcass, etc. If you either bought the car as a flip or realized that may require more attention/$$$ than you thought, you should be able to find a buyer. Price and patience will be key. Check prices of concluded auctions on ebay for similar cars.
Call me old fashioned but I could NEVER part out a car as nice as this! It would be disrespecting the gentlemen who owned it since new.
Ideally I'd like to trade it for a reliable full-size (luxury) GM product with a 3800 engine - a good highway cruiser.

I've added a video to the photobucket album of the engine running and can add pics if anyone is interested.

I'm located in Melbourne, FL

The Shop Manuals are gone...

Old 01-19-2010, 11:52 AM

Call me old fashioned but I could NEVER part out a car as nice as this! It would be disrespecting the gentlemen who owned it since new.
Whew!! I admire your sentiment

Have you come up with an asking price yet?

Old 01-19-2010, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by FL XJR
Whew!! I admire your sentiment

Have you come up with an asking price yet?
I'm thinking around $2950 OBO. Really I'd like to trade for a decent highway cruiser. I've got way, way too many toyz none of which are good for picking up my kids in Atlanta on a regular basis! My monthly auto insurance bill is more than most people's car payments! I plan on a fleet liquidation sale but the timing isn't right for any of the classic/muscle cars that I have. My daily driver is a 2 seater ('01 BMW M Roadster). I bought an '87 Buick T-Type for the job but it is so nice (30K original miles) that I can't bring myself to put the miles on it.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:45 PM

I'm thinking around $2950 OBO. Really I'd like to trade for a decent highway cruiser. I've got way, way too many toyz none of which are good for picking up my kids in Atlanta on a regular basis! My monthly auto insurance bill is more than most people's car payments! I plan on a fleet liquidation sale but the timing isn't right for any of the classic/muscle cars that I have. My daily driver is a 2 seater ('01 BMW M Roadster). I bought an '87 Buick T-Type for the job but it is so nice (30K original miles) that I can't bring myself to put the miles on it.
$2950 sounds very reasonable. As for too many toyz and big insurance bills, I can relate all too well . I save tons on an antique policy with Hagerty, which helps a lot (at least on my cars that "qualify"). I suggest advertising the car on forums that don't cost any (or very much) money. Craigslist, eBay, Jag forums, etc. Be sure to have lots and lots of photos available. Perhaps create a "garage" on Cardomain.com and post your car. You can list as much info as you want and post gobs of photos, and you can show off your other cars. People who really want these cars search these outlets (at least I did...)

-Kent