XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

How should I start my XJS V12 after a 10 year lay up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 06:02 PM
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

@Orange. The front end is surprisingly easy to dismantle, which sooner or later you will want to do if you going to do the cooling / rad and belts. Its sounds like your #1 dilemma is workspace.

It is critical to have a decent one, I cannot emphasize this enough. I am a relative XJS noobie (compared to Doug / grant / Greg etc..) but I have worked on enough cars in silly tight spots to know it is nearly ALWAYS a mistake. Hopefully you left the Handbrake OFF, if so whack it into N and just roll it to a better spot.

Find some where with a min of 4ft around the car in every direction on a clean level concrete floor, with good lighting and ventilation - that v12 will gas you in about 30 seconds flat. I also tend to get labels and egg crates to stack parts in left to right as a disassemble stuff + funky "one of a kind" drawings. Until you have nailed your workspace don't bother to tackle any big jobs, you would be amazed just how much it can make a simple task, terrible. You will regret it. First job when you are set - remove the bonnet, everything will become clearer

Your in a catch 22 -so if you really have to fire it up just to move it, it will probably be ok. Let it warm ever so slightly (ATF fluid will feel like butter in the auto box) and then only move it under idle torque with the bonnet open. Oh and good news! Rust on the front springs, they are 99% dead So plan that in too - as well as bushes, alignment and the other generally lovelies of suspension work.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 06:04 PM
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I have just seen your post Well done. But your work has only just begun....

Old 03-14-2014, 06:14 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Great news!

Old 03-14-2014, 06:16 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wd-40

Hi All,
I was reading this post and the WD40 is VERY good for one thing. If you have a rusted/seized bolt or nut, my grandfather taught me a trick that really works well. Heat the fastener with a propane torch until it gets pretty hot (not cherry red or anything) then take the flame away and shut off the torch and spray WD40 on the fastener and let it "cook" for a few seconds. It will come loose most every time. A word of caution- don't spray the WD 40 anywhere near that torch!!! Just spray it onto the fastener AFTER the torch is removed.

Dont know why it works, but it does!
BTW, good luck getting your XJS "awakened"!!

Old 03-14-2014, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 415 Likes on 313 Posts
Default Nice...

Old 03-14-2014, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,822 Likes on 2,645 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyran66
I have just seen your post Well done. But your work has only just begun....
That was a bit of a lucky break! but you are right there is still work to do but I've got her outside now, so I've plenty of room to work.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag

Yes you are right! and when I stop shaking with excitement I will put some up but at the moment I can't hold a Camera steady!

Old 03-14-2014, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
Great news!
I would call it incredible! She ran like a bird from the off with no strange noises or dramas.

Thanks for your help which was appreciated.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag

How do I put the pics up?

Old 03-14-2014, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,936 Likes on 7,185 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
It was just like a Normal Start up, on any day of the week and the engine just purred like a kitten.
Far out!

That DID take some guts. My hat's off to you :-)

Cheers
DD

orangeblossom (03-15-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
WD40 might be 'old' but it's not 'good' for anything except it's original design purpose which is displacing water. It's poor at best as a rust remover and not by any stretch of the imagination a good lubricant.

It's banished from my garage for many reasons.

There is more than likely some residual oil still on the cylinder walls even though the engine has not run for ten years. Dumping WD40 in the engine will wash that oil off and leave virtually nothing behind. I'd use a tablespoon of regular engine oil per cylinder and leave it at that.
I appreciate your being informed. Everyone loves wd40 and I literally have zero reason to buy it.

Why wouldn't I buy PB blaster, assembly lube, silicone lube spray, dry lube spray.etc etc.
People treat WD40 as if it is an end all be all master lubricant but it is just for cleaning basically.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by lomidach
Hi All,
I was reading this post and the WD40 is VERY good for one thing. If you have a rusted/seized bolt or nut, my grandfather taught me a trick that really works well. Heat the fastener with a propane torch until it gets pretty hot (not cherry red or anything) then take the flame away and shut off the torch and spray WD40 on the fastener and let it "cook" for a few seconds. It will come loose most every time. A word of caution- don't spray the WD 40 anywhere near that torch!!! Just spray it onto the fastener AFTER the torch is removed.

Dont know why it works, but it does!
BTW, good luck getting your XJS "awakened"!!
this has nothing to do with WD40. Heating and quenching is a very old very good method. One needs nothing more than a torch and water. WD40 is simply cooling, it isn't doing anything as a lubricant and it is not a penetrant. Using WD40 for quenching is a waste of money.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 415 Likes on 313 Posts

Someone help this man post pics! Last time I tried via Flickr the forum didn't like it...

Old 03-14-2014, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,936 Likes on 7,185 Posts

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
I appreciate your being informed. Everyone loves wd40 and I literally have zero reason to buy it.

Why wouldn't I buy PB blaster, assembly lube, silicone lube spray, dry lube spray.etc etc.
People treat WD40 as if it is an end all be all master lubricant but it is just for cleaning basically.

Right, basically just for cleaning. So, you never need to clean anything?

Having as you do an elevated level of enlightenment as to the limitations of WD40 doesn't mean it isn't worth having. It's a terrific all purpose mild solvent. Just another tool in the kit.

I've used WD40 for decades for a huge variety of cleaning purposes when a mild solvent is called for. Freeing-off gummed up mechanisms, most commonly, but also just 'cleaning things' in general. Compared to the vast array of special aerosols I buy and use the WD40 is dirt cheap.

Free-off the stuck door latch (or whatever) with WD then follow up with a couple judiciously aimed spritzers of whatever specific lubricant is best for the occassion. The WD also helps the lubricant slither into the nooks and crannies before it evaporates away.

Makes perfectly good sense to me. I think you should reconsider your position on the matter

Cheers
DD

anyoldiron (09-05-2019)
Old 03-14-2014, 10:15 PM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

How do I put the pics up?
Congratulations, the Jag fairies must have been on your side.

Now for the tricky stuff, pics, take a look here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...pictures-2418/

photobucket seems more forum friendly than flickr

Old 03-14-2014, 11:16 PM
Received 179 Likes on 142 Posts

glad it fired right up for you

nothing like that first fire up. look forward to some pictures.

seems the older formulations of fuel last a lot longer than newer. in the last few years after ethanol has become common i have fuel issues on my motorcycle after winter lay up every year. never used to have issues.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:04 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

First of all my Thanks to:

Ezerider-Doug-Catnlion-Calvindoesntknow-MLP442009-Sidescrollin-Tyran66-XJS Fan-Flint Ironstag-Mikey-Ronald P and anyone else that I have forgotten to mention, who have been so supportive and contributed to my Post with loads of good advice as well as ideas.

This is going to take a bit of believing so stay with me.

The Car was jammed in the garage when I put her in mothballs in October 2005 and hadn't been started or turned over from that day to this, owing to a bereavement in my family which had left me totally devastated.

That was about 8 years ago but I guess its now time to move on.

Though after an 8 year layup, I suddenly started to realize I had probably left it too long and thought the engine may well be seized up.

Owing to the confinement of the garage, I didn't have much room to work and dismantling all the the throttle connections and wiring looms etc, just to get to the spark plugs was going to be a tough job.

And in the event that something went wrong, like stripping the thread on a spark plug, then that would have been a difficult job to put right.

If I'd had the space to do it, then I would have done it, as I have done a lot worse jobs than that when I've had the room.

So having done a bit of a risk assessment, I flipped a coin and decided to put a battery on and so borrowed the one off my daily driver my Merc.

What happened next was surreal!

Having connected the battery, the boot light then came on, as too did the interior lights in the doors, then I put the Key in the ignition and turned it to position 1 and nothing happened at all.

At which point I thought it was game over!

But about 10 seconds later everything kicked into life! The instruments lit and the blower fan, came on but wouldn't switch off.

Then I heard the fuel pump priming the fuel injection system which seemed to go on for ever! but was probably only for a couple of minutes.

Then with my heart in my mouth I turned the key.

The engine spun over no more than six times and then burst into life!
at which point the oil light went out and the oil pressure started to build and though it took 30 seconds it felt like 30 weeks!

Then it ran on its own at fast idle for 5 minutes during which time the exhaust pipes, jetted out white smoke.

After which time the idle speed dropped back to normal.

So then with my foot on the brake and my hand on the handbrake, just in case, I put her into reverse and then did all the shunting about that I needed to get her out into the Sunshine after 8 years.

Everything worked including the hood.

It was just like a Normal Start up, on any day of the week and the engine just purred like a kitten.

My thanks to Castrol Magnetec, as I don't think that any of that would ever have happened without it.
It's a sign. The past wasn't as hard on us as we think it was, and the beginning can be bright if we want it to be and we work on it just a little and nurture it.

Good luck in all things.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Far out!

That DID take some guts. My hat's off to you :-)

Cheers
DD
Hi Doug

Tell me about it!

I counted to 3 before I turned the Key to try and start her and 'bottled it' numerous times!

Not sure why, perhaps I couldn't face the disappointment or maybe it was the fear of trashing the engine?

I'm pretty convinced that the Castrol Magnetec had everything to do with this success.

I well remember buying several gallons of the stuff, when it was on Special Offer at a Motor Factors and to tell the truth I thought the claims of how this protects an engine were nothing more than 'hype'

Which goes to show just how wrong you can be!

I wish you could have all been there to watch it, as the engine just burst into life like 'another day at the office'! after just a couple of spins.

I was absolutely 'gob smacked' I can tell you!

She actually started quicker than my daily driver the Merc.

And ran silky smooth from the get go.

I am going to write a letter of thanks to Castrol

This was actually rocket science in action! and after an 8 year layup, it was as close to Witchcraft as you can get.

Thanks for your help by the way.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:54 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
this has nothing to do with WD40. Heating and quenching is a very old very good method. One needs nothing more than a torch and water. WD40 is simply cooling, it isn't doing anything as a lubricant and it is not a penetrant. Using WD40 for quenching is a waste of money.
Just trying to be helpful. I have tried the same method with other "lubricants", but I seem to get the best results with WD40. Never tried water. Like I said, don't know why it works, but it has worked well for me many, many times. I don't see it as a waste of money, it only takes a small amount! But, I respect your opinion. Just trying to offer helpful info.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Norri
Congratulations, the Jag fairies must have been on your side.

Now for the tricky stuff, pics, take a look here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...pictures-2418/

photobucket seems more forum friendly than flickr
Hi Norri

Somebody up there loves me! that's for sure and now I know that miracles can happen.

And to think I wrote a letter at Christmas: Dear Santa 'I can explain' !

I won't be able to post any Pics for a while as I've been on it like a bonnet!

Underneath the Jag all day, giving her a good clean and then tomorrow weather permitting spraying the Black Wax on and making sure she will sail through the MOT.

All the bushes look A1 so maybe I won't need a Miracle just lots of elbow grease.

Quick Reply: How should I start my XJS V12 after a 10 year lay up?