XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

How Should they Test the Hand Brake on an XJS for the MOT

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 05:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,846 Likes on 2,663 Posts
Default How Should they Test the Hand Brake on an XJS for the MOT

I'm not exactly 'Over The Moon' with the way that they Tested the Handbrake on my XJS for her MOT as when they applied the Handbrake on The Rolling Road the Torque was such that it literally tore the Hand Brake Pads from their mountings

Which as many XJS Owners will know are Tiny in comparison to those on other Cars

No such problems with drum brakes but I do not feel the Handbrake on an XJS is of the type that is suitable for being Tested on a Rolling Road, as for one thing in order to fix it, I will very likely have to drop the Cage and then who knows the very same thing could easily happen again on another occasion

I seem to remember reading somewhere that where a Vehicles Handbrake is unsuitable for Testing on a Rolling Road, the alternative would be to have the Vehicles Handbrake Tested on an incline

Does anyone know if I have the right to insist that the Handbrake was Tested on an incline rather than the Rolling Road which tore the Pads from their Mountings and also does anyone know if Jaguar have a procedure laid down which I could then use to back this up

As in my view the Handbrake should be Tested to hold the Car on an Incline, rather than subject it to the excess Torque of the Rolling Road, which in this case destroyed the Pads altogether

Has anyone else had this problem, or is it just me?

Old 12-06-2020, 06:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 424 Likes on 251 Posts

I can’t help with the answer but do sympathise. One of my cars passed two mots with a poorly working handbrake. I don’t think they know properly what to do. Maybe need to mention the handbrake in future before the test starts. Hope you get it sorted ok.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Brinny

Cheers!

I don't think it ever crosses their mind what damage can be done on that Rolling Road Test and though I'm straining at the bit to mention this during the MOT, I think some may agree with me that Two People in Life that you never upset are your Dentist and MOT Tester

Although not necessarily in that order

Old 12-06-2020, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,156 Likes on 2,078 Posts

OB,

I'm really sorry to hear of the problems you've encountered. Is this an MoT station that you regularly use? I'm always at pains to point out to anyone intending to put my XJSs on a rolling road, that they have mechanical Limited Slip Diffs. Most places then decide that they won't use the rolling road and use a Tapley meter instead.

Depending on the damage, you may be able to fit new pads without dropping the cage.

BUT, if yiou really have to drop it, see it as a great opportunity to refurbish the brakes cage, mounts, suspension, radius arms, maybe even the diff! There's always a silver lining!

Good luck

Paul

Old 12-06-2020, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,979 Likes on 7,211 Posts

The handbrake calipers can be removed without dropping the cage. I've done it a couple times, most recently just a few weeks ago. It's not terribly difficult; more of a PITA....if you get the distinction.

Some here (Greg?) has an excellent write-up on modifying the handbrake pads so they don't come apart.

I've always considered the handbrake on these cars to be a "parking brake". Not an "emergency brake".

Cheers
DD

Old 12-06-2020, 09:51 AM
Banned
Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

I don't understand why you did not test yourself.
I have set my hand brake while setting still put in gear give a little gas, if it don't move it works.
On a steep incline set brake if it don't move it works, if it rolls it don't work.

Old 12-06-2020, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 424 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by macdoesit
I don't understand why you did not test yourself.
I have set my hand brake while setting still put in gear give a little gas, if it don't move it works.
On a steep incline set brake if it don't move it works, if it rolls it don't work.

mac ace in the uk it is a requirement of the annual test it is done by the test centre.

Old 12-06-2020, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Mac

I did Test the Handbrake myself before I took her for her MOT and while I was quite satisfied that it was working 100% in the UK the MOT Tester has to Test it as well and this has to be done in accordance with the the laid down procedure in the MOT Testers manual

Which unfortunately seems to include a Rolling Road Test, where those tiny little Brake Pads, were probably not designed to handle the kind of Torque they encounter during the Rolling Road Test

As it is after all a Parking Brake and not a Secondary device that should be used as an alternative to the Foot Brake

Old 12-06-2020, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Doug

Cheers!

I know that I have done worse jobs on the Car but this is not exactly the ideal time of the year, so I think that I may have to wait until Spring, when I am hoping to treat myself to a Mid Rise Car Lift

Though what you said was very useful to know, so Thanks for that

Old 12-06-2020, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Paul

Really glad that you chipped in as always and yes this is my Goto MOT Station and though they know the Car has LSD they always do the Test on the Rollers regardless, assuring me that all will be ok

Though being as paranoid as I am, that kind of reassurance just falls on deaf ears and hope they are just as willing to buy me a new half shaft if they break it, although I somehow think not

I have also had the Test done at another Garage with the Gadget that you mentioned, although for reasons i'll keep to myself I certainly won't be taking my Car there again but as for now I'll have to see what damage has been done before I then decide on my next move, though anyway Thanks for your help

Alex

Old 12-06-2020, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

XJS handbrake is the worst engineering is a !joke.
OK when i was unloading my 1978 XJS from a rollback truck, car started to roll backward to fast so reaction i pulled the brake !
lot of noise under car and car stopped at bottom of ramp!
let off brake car would not move ,driver said better step out and SEE this!
the whole rear IRS subframe had RIPPED the mounts loose and was jambd cattiwaumpass side ways!
at that point ,sorry, i had some reservasion about Jag designs!
had to jack up the car and tried to lower it back on rubber mounts , so we could move the car into garage!
i was NOT a happy guy!
ron

Old 12-06-2020, 06:03 PM
Banned
Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Mac

I did Test the Handbrake myself before I took her for her MOT and while I was quite satisfied that it was working 100% in the UK the MOT Tester has to Test it as well and this has to be done in accordance with the the laid down procedure in the MOT Testers manual

Which unfortunately seems to include a Rolling Road Test, where those tiny little Brake Pads, were probably not designed to handle the kind of Torque they encounter during the Rolling Road Test

As it is after all a Parking Brake and not a Secondary device that should be used as an alternative to the Foot Brake
Sorry, I did not understand the why.
What is a MOT.
Damn Englishter testers. LOL

Last edited by macdoesit; 12-06-2020 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,156 Likes on 2,078 Posts

macdoesit,

All cars used on the road in the UK and younger than 40 years old have to pass an annual MoT (Ministry of Transport) test.

Similar to roadworthiness tests in other countries, it checks a defined list of items from structural integrity, brakes, lights, seat belts, steering, vehicle engine emissions etc.

Cheers

Paul

orangeblossom (12-07-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Ron

Thanks for that insight, I could not agree more
So now I am planning to have a go at making 'Greg's' modified Handbrake Pads

Old 12-06-2020, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Mac

MOT is Ministry Of Transport Test

Old 12-07-2020, 04:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,413 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
The handbrake calipers can be removed without dropping the cage. I've done it a couple times, most recently just a few weeks ago. It's not terribly difficult; more of a PITA....if you get the distinction.

Some here (Greg?) has an excellent write-up on modifying the handbrake pads so they don't come apart.

I've always considered the handbrake on these cars to be a "parking brake". Not an "emergency brake".

Cheers
DD
Just in case anyone wants to make sure that they have a robust working handbrake that will not fail (emergency brake in USA speak) here is how:
Once the axle is out of the car, it is an easy day's work. The only non-garage thing you need help with is asking your local machine shop to deepen the slot in the calipers that the pads go into by a few mm.
The handbrake on my car will stop the car, in gear, from 15 MPH no bother. Also it has so far survived three French MoTs where they use a rolling road and have a higher efficiency threshold than the UK version.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
The following 4 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Doug (12-07-2020), orangeblossom (12-07-2020), ptjs1 (12-07-2020), TobyJag (12-10-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

also my OLD POS 2001 Mitsu will lock up the rear tires , from 20mph , just like a drifter, using the between the seat hand brake !
Ron

The following 2 users liked this post by ronbros:
orangeblossom (12-07-2020), TobyJag (12-10-2020)