XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Hub Seal Procrastination Halts Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2023, 05:41 AM
Received 593 Likes on 368 Posts
Default Hub Seal Procrastination Halts Assembly

Actually two fold.

First a caution - SNG supply a water deflector for the front hub upright, it is a metal disc that is a press fit - they can supply either an aftermarket or a Jaguar item - word of warning - if you buy the aftermarket make sure that you buy a steel tube 60mm OD - 2mm wall of at least 150mm in length - because if you don't you will need psychiatric help after trying to get the SOB's installed - they really tested my patience to the hammer throwing / alcohol abuse point, I threw them in the trash in the end - they're made of who knows what. I had no issues at all installing a genuine Jaguar item as they are much more rigid.

To the cause of a dilemna ....

I have three kinds of seal available to seal the back of the hub.

One came with the Timken bearings, one is an aftermarket 'plastic' item and the other is a genuine Jaguar which is the 'rope' type - I can do pics if anyone needs.

I was committed in my own mind to using the Jaguar items but then I thought - maybe not - the image below is my old upright, it was worn away by the Jaguar rope type - and this is 50k worth of wear - I would rather sacrifice the seal than the upright (my uprights have been replaced and are in as new condition currently).

What would the team do ...

Old 05-07-2023, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,330 Likes on 5,475 Posts

Ben
I take it you are referring to the Jaguar original seals that had a steel outer in a U shape profile and a felt stuffing inside the U that provided the seal? If so, then I reckon the steel outer did the damage because the felt dried out and shrank. It needs to be impregnated (brings back memories for the over 70s...) with grease and the hubs regularly greased through the nipple to keep it so. Mine were fine if a little rusty when removed; but I used the plastic "normal" oil seal looking type to replace them and absolutely no worries. These camewith the new bearings. So I would use the replacement types. I did not bother to replace the water throwers, as they seemed to me to be pointless.
My experience is that all aftermarket parts, except those from the original OEM supplier but not in a Jaguar box, are a total waste of time and effort. manners will tell you what is what and the OEM supplied non-Jaguar boxed stuff is often miles cheaper than the Jaguar boxed identical part.

Last edited by Greg in France; 05-07-2023 at 08:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ptjs1 (05-08-2023)
Old 05-07-2023, 11:07 AM
Received 593 Likes on 368 Posts

Yep the felt stuffing type. It is pretty interesting to see the water throwers side by side - the aftermarket is clearly inferior, I ordered new because I couldn't find the old, figured that I'd go for the SNG because they were in stock but the Jag ones are special order, it was a mistake to be so impatient - I since found the old (can't understand why I didn't see them first time I looked for them), I cleaned, painted and re-used my old ones.

These hubs take a lot of grease and most of it does nothing except fill space ... funny too I never used to mind the packing of bearings but I can't wait to get the stuff off my hands even wearing gloves these days.

on the replacing the throwers - you know me - OCD central .....

Last edited by BenKenobi; 05-07-2023 at 11:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (05-08-2023)