XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

HVAC blower repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 02:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts
Default HVAC blower repair

Today I decided to remove the drivers side blower and repair it - no easy feat. The electronics are repaired, but the motor really needs replacing, the brushes and commutator are badly worn.

I have spent hours searching for a replacement motor, the rebuilt ones from the USA at $600US each are out of the question as by the time I ship they are nearly $900AUD each and for under $2000 I can replace the AC with Vintageair.

Has anyone found a replacement motor that fits.

I have found one that is close it is 70mm diameter compared to the Jaguar one at 60mm

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HEATER-F...8AAOSwt05Zrgy8

Old 11-11-2017, 09:12 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Blower motor

I am currently doing this exact project. It’s a nightmare. I got the drivers blower out. I bought a refurbished one from jag bits which credits you some $$$ when you send your unit to them. I am struggling with getting the new one in. I have taken a few days off the project to calm my frustrations.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:44 AM
Received 179 Likes on 142 Posts

i have been needing to pull my pasenger side blower motor out for a while now....lol about 2 years ago i was driving with the top down and the ac on i had a fuel receipt in the car that blew around and got sucked into the fan. still works fine but noisy. luckily i normally only drive the car in nice weather the sound with the fan on high will drive you nuts. to many things to do never enough time to do it all ugh.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,145 Likes on 2,080 Posts

Are the XJ40 motors close? I've not looked explicitly, but externally they look similar.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member

Yes the XJ40 motors do look similar, this may be an option, although my preferred option is to find a new replacement motor.

I have googled dc motors and and have yet to come up with anything apart from that Nissan motor, it will need a new mount as it's 10mm bigger in diameter.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member

Late Series III V12 cars are the same, of course the motor is not sold separately.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:24 AM
Veteran Member

OK decision made.

I'm going to put the blower back as it is, it still operates and should for last at least another 5 years brushes are about 60% worn. Then I will pull the Denanair out and replace it with Vintage Air at about $1800AUD (including replacing the condenser receiver/dryer and AC compressor) it stacks up to replacing the blowers at $800AUD each and this includes the cash back for core return from Jagbits.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,255 Likes on 5,436 Posts

Originally Posted by warrjon
OK decision made.

I'm going to put the blower back as it is, it still operates and should for last at least another 5 years brushes are about 60% worn. Then I will pull the Denanair out and replace it with Vintage Air at about $1800AUD (including replacing the condenser receiver/dryer and AC compressor) it stacks up to replacing the blowers at $800AUD each and this includes the cash back for core return from Jagbits.
Warren
I took a look at Vintage air a few years ago. My problem was I could not see how I could get the unit in (one large enough to approximate to the BTU output of the OEM one) without having to cut at least one of the bracers from the windscreen level to the tunnel, each side of the Delanair unit. What is your take on the installation?

Old 11-13-2017, 03:22 AM
Veteran Member

After some googling I realised that I need to cut the brace. I think I will put it back together and wait and see.

My AC has worked since I repaired it the first time, albeit with its fairly regular tantrums mostly failing parts.

I have repaired the ECM twice and it failed again with a different problem, as I can get a circuit diagram it is extremely difficult to repair. I have now replaced it, these are becoming quite rare now so if it fails again.

One this I might look into is ditching the ECM and converting the OEM unit to a manual AC system, I'll have to think about this a little more.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Warren, I'm sorry this is an incomplete assist but . . . I noted your concern that commutator brushes are some 60% worn. I have used a Sydney firm specializing in replacements for almost any brushes etc, but now I cannot locate. However . . . <Schunk> in Scoresby should be able to supply. If not, they can make to match.

Cheers,

Ken

Old 11-13-2017, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,255 Likes on 5,436 Posts

After some googling I realised that I need to cut the brace. I think I will put it back together and wait and see
Warren
I spent a little time re-googling, and turned up Old Air, who seem to have a Hurricane unit that is pretty compact. I have emailed them for dimensions. It might be of interest to you?
Custom Aftermarket A/C Systems & Replacement Parts for Hot Rod, Classic, & Vintage Cars/Trucks - HURRICANE A/C Systems
The aircon gas and water connections for the system can come out of the back towards to top, or towards the bottom, or to the RHS (no good for my RHD car, LHS exit would be perfect!). As our interior bodywork slopes forward towards the top, I thought the top back outlet might work, as there might be enough room for the lefthanded right-angle bends that would be required to get them through the OEM bulkhead hole.
Greg

Old 11-13-2017, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

One this I might look into is ditching the ECM and converting the OEM unit to a manual AC system, I'll have to think about this a little more.
The Jaguar heater box is reasonably unique in it's configuration, so finding something else to fit would be difficult. The XJ40/X300 box is similar, perhaps you could adapt the servo operation of the X300 and use that control panel? You're obviously proficient enough with electronics and other tools to make the adaptation.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Ken, the brushes are not the problem I have a box of new be used I can use, the problem is the worn commutator. If I just replace the brushes without repairing the commutator the new brushes won't run properly. And I hate doing jobs twice.

I have spent a lot of time looking for a suitable motor to replace the OEM, with little luck except for the Nissan unit. I might get one of these and try it.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
The Jaguar heater box is reasonably unique in it's configuration, so finding something else to fit would be difficult. The XJ40/X300 box is similar, perhaps you could adapt the servo operation of the X300 and use that control panel? You're obviously proficient enough with electronics and other tools to make the adaptation.
I have the Mk3 which is servo controlled so I can control the motors (which aren't actually a servo) with a simple 555 circuit.

Thanks Greg in all my googling I did not come across that company. Ill look into it.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member

I lucked on a brand spanking new blower for $440AUD ($330USD) so I snapped it up. This is genuine Jaguar NOS.

This soles 2 problems, the worn motor and the temperature sensor that was not working.