XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

I didn't use protection. Wet engine 96- 4.0 xjs

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 07:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I didn't use protection. Wet engine 96- 4.0 xjs

So i got the brilliant idea to detail the engine and compartment this past weekend. Sprayed some simple green in there and waited a bit, then hit it with some high pressure and washed it down. Battery disconnected the whole time. Then took compressed air and blew off every part and connection front back upside down sideways you name it i got it.waited a bit had a nice ice tea then put the battery back on and cranked it over. No start. Cranked some more . No start. Then proceeded to pull and check all 68 fuses and 18 Relays. not a bit of moisture present no blown fuses. I disconnected and plugged back in every connector I could find under the hood. I here the fuel pump whir when the ignition goes on. It cranks but no start Oh me oh my. Help.

Old 03-29-2022, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,366 Likes on 795 Posts

Remove the ignition coils and check for water.

Old 03-29-2022, 08:02 PM

Thanks. I will do that after work tomorrow.
The local Jag Tech here is got me scheduled for next week so I have time to see if I can solve it. I have so many small things that need sorted and feel like I’m back at square one again. Love this car though. It really runs smooth (When it runs)..
Thanks again and I will post results.

Old 03-30-2022, 01:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,330 Likes on 5,475 Posts

As a general rule NEVER use water on an engine and NEVER NEVER high pressure water; but you know that now, anyway!
Like ICSA, I am pretty sure the coil on plugs/plug wells will be full of water.

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 03:51 PM
Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

There is a large plug under the anti-lock brake system…..passenger side firewall…..looks to be at
least a sixty pin connector. If this gets wet it will be very difficult to start.

take hair dryer and carefully makes sure all the pins are clean and dry.

this is what saved me about 10 yrs. Ago when II bought my 96 and decided to clean the engine compartment. I even wrapped the connector but it still got wet!!

Softball60/Paul

Greg in France (03-31-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 10:43 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Softball60
looks to be at least a sixty pin connector.
Close, but no cigar! It's 55 pins.

Thorsen (04-01-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 10:24 PM

Okay. I removed each of the coils. As ICSA predicted, full of water. I blew each one out with the air. Currently have each coil drying and each plug area blown out and drying. I will not be removing plugs be cause of condition of the corrosion on cover. Will reassemble on Saturday. I blew out the coils as well and letting them bake in sun. Took 55 pin connector off as well appeared dry but followed same procedure and blew it off as well. Reassembled. So the question plaguing mankind is, I don’t want or remove the plugs yet because of the corrosion on the valve cover. When drying it and bolwin out each plug/coil area the flaking concerns me. Would you wait unitl you replace or remove valve cover to work on replacing plugs. I do not want anything to obviously go into cylinder heads from the cover area plus I have read about replacing some o ring style seals that should be replaced as well during this procedure. Each coil was soaked by the way. Wish they were shot glasses I could have had some real fun. Thanks again.

Old 03-31-2022, 10:32 PM

As I pulled each coil I blew and dried each cylinder and covered to protect last one from water and oil again. The removed towels an letting dry. As previous pot pics.

Old 04-02-2022, 05:31 PM

Well reassembled the coils and hooked them up, the car has been sitting in the sun for a week now. Tried starting it and she just cranks over but no starting. how do i check to see if its getting electrical to the plug and firing. Keep a coil out and hook a spark plug to it?
Paul got the Stencil but that's on back burner for a bit. Thank you.
Any ideas out there.

Old 04-03-2022, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,366 Likes on 795 Posts

Remove the ECM in the passenger foot well and check the connection for dampness and corrosion.

Old 04-04-2022, 06:58 PM

Thanks ICSA. Will do tomorrow after work. Took Sunday off to relax a bit..will update.
Dave.

Old 04-04-2022, 07:51 PM

That connector that I mentioned in an earlier post is the main connection to the ECM. You need to make sure that whole subsystem is completely dry. Blowing air may not be enough. Make sure If possible and use some heat to ensure all the connections are dry.

GOOD LUCK.

Softball60/Paul

Old 04-05-2022, 11:03 PM

Thanks Paul. I checked that connector again and also got to the ECU. Pulled both connectors off
.No sign of moisture anywhere there. It’s going to the Garage tomorrow and hopefully the master Tech will solve this one quick. I have done every exercise I could. In the time I have. Time to let someone else have a crack at it. I will keep you posted on how it goes. Thanks again Everyone.

Greg in France (04-06-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 06:50 PM

Any update on the No starting issue

softball60/Paul

Old 04-13-2022, 10:30 PM

Hi Paul, Tech was not getting fuel. He did have the pump working but so far no go.He was not sure why it wasn't getting to the injectors.He is an independent and busy guy so who knows. Im going to visit him tomorrow. Keep you updated. Thanks.

Old 04-14-2022, 04:14 PM
Vee
Veteran Member

On the fuel supply side, all you really have is the fuel pressure regulator. I can’t imagine the fuel filter getting affected by the water.

If the pump is working, then it’s not related to the the emergency cutoff.

The only other side is the evap side? What could killing the purge valve do? I can’t think that would do anything.

Has to be a sensor that is not communicating engine need? MAF, TPS?

Greg in France (04-15-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 12:57 PM

I agree Vee. He actually said he was getting on it today and putting it on the rack. Said he would get to me today. I hope so. I want my Cat back. And just as important an answer.

Old 04-27-2022, 10:02 AM

We’re you able to get your Jag running?

Softball60/Paul

Old 05-01-2022, 09:36 AM

Hi Paul, just got it back Thursday afternoon. They replaced my ECU and the wire harness to it. Bad connectors and visible shorting on terminal bloc. He said water got in there but I never saw it. Also got car back with a chip in windshield. That really has me pissed off. Also he was nat able to get me a smooth low idle. He said the computer he put in was a newer update and his software did not cover it. So now I have to find a jag mechanic that has that newer unit. It also hesitates on start when I take off from light. Once it warms up the idle seems to be ok but the hesitation is still there. Running at 70 on highway no issues. A little disillusioned and now going back into my own fix up mode. This car was running great minus my high idle issue and since I washed it I’ve taken ten steps back. Going to start a little more research and get back on track here. Need to get interior done and get the rear windows working. Also the emergency brake. Bought the paint. I’ll call ya when I’m ready for that one. Have a good day. I’m goin golfing.
Regard’s
Dave.

Old 05-01-2022, 09:39 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

You'll need to find someone that can reset the TPS. You'll need someone that has jag specific software. The shop is full of it regarding "newer update".

Quick Reply: I didn't use protection. Wet engine 96- 4.0 xjs