XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

I got the bug ... in need of medication

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2024, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,094 Likes on 2,042 Posts

Tomasso,

Apols on previous post, I typed 6.0 instead of 5.3.

I'll drop you an email tonight re. your PM to me, including an option on another 6.0 vehicle.

As Greg has said, a number of those companies will not undertake technical inspections AFAIK. I have a few suggestions of other people who may do this and I'll email to you. Of the ones you have there, Andy Harvey of Just XJS is extremely knowledgeable of XJSs. I have met Andy on a magazine photoshoot with our cars, and he was one of the previous custodians of my pre-HE Coupe. A real XJS enthusiast.

Cheers

Paul

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (02-02-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 10:24 AM
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ascanio1
I just spoke with the owner of the blue, 1994, 140,000 miles, 6.0 litre 1994 XJS. He is retired, and drives it into London, once a week, some 50 miles. He has done a lot of repairs, and has shown me invoices in excess of £8,000 in the last 6 years that he has owned it, including:
  • removing the sub-frame (rust)
  • powder coating it and sealing it
  • new shocks x 6
  • brake pads (all around)
  • tyres x 4
  • etc, etc
The invoices also show that he changes fluids & filters, once a year, in January (just done) regardless of mileage. A £300 invoice/year.
Alex just found the MOT results for this 1994, blu, 140,000 miles 6.9 litre. They relfect exactly what the owner mentioned by phone: he bought it 7 years and 10,000 miles ago, while the last MOTs, since in his possession, all passed, an older MOT from before he bought it, reflects exactly what he told me over the phone and the invoices: when he bought it he had to repair the rust, brakes and suspensions (all shown on invoices).
Date tested: 11 December 2007
Test result: FAIL
Mileage: 130,665 miles
Reason(s) for failure:
  • Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)
  • Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)
Advisory notice item(s)
  • boot area not checked properly due to trim
  • brake pipes corroding(not checked properly due to protective coating & above covers)
  • rear trailing arm bushes cracking
  • front tyres wearing on edges
  • slight play steering rack,track rod ends
  • slight play n/s/f wheel bearing
  • rear tyres close to limit
  • brake pads not checked
Shoot your comments.

Tommaso

Old 02-02-2024, 11:48 AM

Thank you Paul

Originally Posted by ptjs1
As Greg has said, a number of those companies will not undertake technical inspections AFAIK. I have a few suggestions of other people who may do this and I'll email to you. Of the ones you have there, Andy Harvey of Just XJS is extremely knowledgeable of XJSs
I just spoke with Andrew and he is, truly, very knowledgeable. I read both MOTs to him and sent him the links. He too recommends to stay as far as possible from the 35,000 miles car because it's been sitting for so long, never mind the mileage incongruence. He cannot inspect it, but recommended a chap called Ray at Sussex Jag Centre (closer to where the XJS is).

Andrew also offered two of his 4.0 litres (one green one red). But I prefer the V12, for emotional and irrational reasons.

Finally he warned me to check the scuttle, and sent me some horrifying images of yet another V12 where an an ever so slight imperfection of the paint returned a nightmare:

Scary stuff!

Ciao, Tommaso

Last edited by ascanio1; 02-02-2024 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-02-2024, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

Tommaso,

Ray is also very knowledgeable (he's ex-Jaguar). Please send him my regards.

As you seem to be considering 6.0 Coupes, I've found a few more for sale. I'll send you the links.

Cheers

Paul Sinnott

Last edited by ptjs1; 02-02-2024 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-02-2024, 12:31 PM

Tommaso, Ray is also very knowledgeable (he's ex-Jaguar). Please send him my regards. As you seem to be considering 6.0 Coupes, I've found a few more for sale. I'll send you the links.Cheers. Paul Sinnott
Andrew was asking me which Paul it was. Now that I can see your family name, I'll text him. Send the links in private, please.

May I introduce a little OT? Will the admins forgive me this blasphemy? Look what an Italian friend - offended that I will not buy Italian - sent me to steer me away from the XJS:

In the past I owned the Gamma 2.5 i.e. and the 130 ... beautiful cars! I wonder if you know the story of how the design of the Camargue came to be ... first to answer wins a print !!

Mkii250 (02-03-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

I'm not quite sure why they did it, but I do know that the Camargue came about when Rolls contracted out its design to Pininfarina, and the design was done by Paolo Martin (who did some of those other designs pictured).

Incredibly controversial as a design and the most expensive car in the world, I drove a few of them when I was 18 and worked for British Car Auctions. I loved them then, and still do!

Paul

Old 02-02-2024, 03:08 PM
Received 369 Likes on 218 Posts

And people think the XJ-S has controversial styling...

Mkii250 (02-03-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 03:14 PM

I'm not quite sure why they did it, but I do know that the Camargue came about when Rolls contracted out its design to Pininfarina, and the design was done by Paolo Martin (who did some of those other designs pictured). Incredibly controversial as a design and the most expensive car in the world, I drove a few of them when I was 18 and worked for British Car Auctions. I loved them then, and still do! Paul
Very good and very close ...

Our tale begins with the departure of Sir Denning Pearson, Chief Executive, and Sir David Huddie, Managing Director of Rolls-Royce Motors Limited in February 1971, amid significant shifts in ownership. Despite having been engaged in discussions with Pinin Farina for some time (see the background to our story), the marque had refrained from formalizing any agreements due to tumultuous financial circumstances. Also the new CEO remained prudent and of this conviction, much to the chagrin of Lord Cole (former Rolls-Royce Board member) who loved the Pinin Farina design.

In November 1971, Lord Cole found himself summoned to an urgent meeting at Crew. However, he had recently welcomed a visit from his Italian friend, an Earl touring Europe in his pristine Fiat 130 coupé. Unwilling to abandon his guest in London, Lord Cole extended him an invitation to visit the prestigious Rolls-Royce factory. Thus, accompanied by the Italian Earl, they embarked on the journey to Crewe.

The CEO, captivated by this new design of Sergio Pininfarina and Paolo Martin, and conceding to the Italian Earl's persuasive rhetoric, abandoned all caution and agreed to allow the Earl to send a telex to Turin, to Sergio, with whom the Earl maintained a close acquaintance. In the ensuing days, Pinin Farina arrived in London, marking the commencement of a remarkable collaboration. And as they say, the rest is history.

This articles captivates the background to our story, if you are interested: https://www.flyingspares.com/news/ho...wing-1966.html

Last edited by ascanio1; 02-02-2024 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-02-2024, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 377 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by garethashenden
And people think the XJ-S has controversial styling...
compared to its predecessor, it absolutely does! However compared to the platform it was built on It’s a good effort. Influenced by the earlier Mustang.
As a touring car its styling is OK. But so many of us still wanted a sports car and there is absolutely no way it’s a sports car. Much of the sales reluctance was due to waiting for the F type.

Old 02-03-2024, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 850 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by Mguar
compared to its predecessor, it absolutely does!
I would argue it didn't really have a predecessor. I believe it was meant to be a new class of car for Jaguar, a true grand tourer to gobble up miles on the continent and US highways, rather than a replacement for the E-type. At its conception, I imagine the assumption was that there would be a sports car, a GT, and a Saloon in the line up. Financial constraints proved otherwise.

One could claim that the Series 3 V12 2+2 E-type was close to being a predecessor, but (apologies to any owners of one) it was an example of taking one of the most beautiful designs in automotive history and giving it the inverse Ugly Duckling treatment.

Greg in France (02-04-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 377 Likes on 275 Posts

I believe we’re basically saying the same thing. Except the Series 3 XKE really showed what the new safety regs forced on the manufactures.
I took a series 3 XK-E and turned it into a race car. Devoid of those ugly bumpers it was a nice looking car

Old 02-04-2024, 01:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,330 Likes on 5,475 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac Allan
I would argue it didn't really have a predecessor. I believe it was meant to be a new class of car for Jaguar, a true grand tourer to gobble up miles on the continent and US highways, rather than a replacement for the E-type. .
Originally Posted by Mac Allan
I would argue it didn't really have a predecessor. I believe it was meant to be a new class of car for Jaguar, a true grand tourer to gobble up miles on the continent and US highways, rather than a replacement for the E-type. .
Precisely correct, this is what Jaguar intended. And in fact it worked too, one of the highest selling models Jaguar produced, a superb GT, faster, more comfortable, more real-world useable, more spectacular and half the price of the competition when launched.
Not that I am biased, mind...

Mac Allan (02-04-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 03:54 AM

After a few weeks of research and inspecting a few XJSs, this is where I stand: I realized that the budget assigned, that I was prepared to park on the driveway, won't be enough to buy a facelift, V12, XJS, considering:

(i) my inclination towards fastidious, OCD, maintenance (*) which will end up costing me more, if I do not buy a perfect XJS to start with.
(ii) it will have to e parked in the driveway - which limits the investment to something worth accepting that it will depreciate, certainly not £17,000 (necessary if I want a perfect, facelift, V12 XJS). I miscalculated the used car market for this model.
(iii) I already own too many cars and buying another one that will end up parked in a farm 5 miles from home means that it won't be a daily driver: it will become another doll in the dollhouse and my wife commented that, since I'm not gender fluid, I should not buy anymore dolls, I have enough as it is!

I am now considering either postponing the medical intervention, to when I will move to a home with a larger garage, or buying a different model, which investment can depreciate on the driveway. I am open to comments and advice.

Thanks for all the help! It is really appreciated! Tommaso

(*) my 8 y.o. daughter says that her papá is PetrOLCD ... !!

Last edited by ascanio1; 02-05-2024 at 04:07 AM.
Old 02-05-2024, 05:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,812 Likes on 2,639 Posts

Hi Tommaso

Get the Red one or a DB7

Alex

Old 02-05-2024, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member

Tommaso,

I'd like to suggest a slightly differing viewpoint to your thoughts.

- I don't believe that any XJS will now depreciate if maintained well. In the UK, at least, I think the bottom of the depreciation curve happened some years ago, and well-kept examples will only further appreciate now.

- It's naturally preferrable to keep a car garaged when not in use, but it's perfectly feasible to keep a car in good condition outdoors. I've had my 4.0 convertible for over 20 years, but it's only been garaged for about the last 4 years. Before that it lived outside, sometimes with a cover on but sometimes with 6 inches of snow on it. See photos below. The key things is to keep it clean, keep it waxed, and, most importantly, keep using it! My car isn't perfect, but I'd politely suggest that it's really quite good. It's been featured in a number of Classic Car magazines over the years, and was one of the 75 cars used by Jaguar to celebrate their 75th anniversary. Yes, I'm reasonably handy with spanners, but it's perfectly feasible for an XJS to live outdoors and stay in great condition. A colleague of mine has a 4.0 convertible and the last RHD 6.0 convertible and they have both lived outside on his driveway for over 20 years.

- Will a very nice condition £17,000 Coupe now depreciate if it lives outside? IMO, absolutely not, if you look after it properly. Get the underside dry-iced and get the body and underside properly waxed on Day 1 and you'll have a car ready for use Summer or Winter.

You know my views on all the cars you've seen. The more expensive ones will be cheaper in the long run, especially with your quality standards. If you want a 6.0 big-bumper one, get the Flamenco Red one inspected. If you want a pre big-bumper car, get the silver ex-Japan inspected. If you just want the best condition car, buy the ex-Japan one.

Cheers

Paul

The following 2 users liked this post by ptjs1:
Greg in France (02-05-2024), LnrB (02-05-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member

....and if you're thinking about a 4 litre, and you happen to be around in the South of England soon, come and drive my convertible if you like, just to get a feel for a 4 litre.

Cheers

Paul

Greg in France (02-05-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 08:44 AM

Thank you, Alex & Paul,

I've never parked cars outside, but you're English and have more experience with this climate. I'll take your word for it and I'll re-consider.

Paul, which of the two Japanese, you believe to be "the best condition car" even superior to the red/Bordeaux one? The grey one, self maintained? Or the Le Mans?

Alex, I had a DBS before, been there, done that. I love the XJS Coupé shape. It's far superior.

Last edited by ascanio1; 02-05-2024 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-05-2024, 08:50 AM

​​​​​​....and if you're thinking about a 4 litre, and you happen to be around in the South of England soon, come and drive my convertible if you like, just to get a feel for a 4 litre. Cheers. Paul
I do. I live in in South Berkshire, if you invite me, I'll be there in a pop! I'll PM you, as I'm currently in Italy looking after a few interests (including a Double Six) and I should be back mid February.

I'll bring a bottle of our reserve Taurasi from our family vines! We've been producing wine for 9 generations now. 10 if you count my daughter who's 8 and already presses wine ...

That was me on the left, 25 years ago, when I pretended to be fit & active!

Last edited by ascanio1; 02-05-2024 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-05-2024, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you, Alex & Paul,

I've never parked cars outside, but you're English and have more experience with this climate. I'll take your word for it and I'll re-consider.

Paul, which of the two Japanese, you believe to be "the best condition car" even superior to the red/Bordeaux one? The grey one, self maintained? Or the Le Mans?

Alex, I had a DBS before, been there, done that. I love the XJS Coupé shape. It's far superior.

Tommaso,

Not the Le Mans, I mean the early facelift 1991 silver one. Look at the engine bay, it's usually the "window to the car". If the underside is commenurate with that (as ex-Japan cars often are) then it will be the best of the bunch by far.

Paul

PS The red big-bumper is either Mica Regency Red, or Mica Flamenco Red (more likely). They stopped offering Bordeaux Red XJS in 1991.

Old 02-05-2024, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member

I do. I live in in South Berkshire, if you invite me, I'll be there in a pop! I'll PM you, as I'm currently in Italy looking after a few interests (including a Double Six) and I should be back mid February.

I'll bring a bottle of our reserve Taurasi from our family vines! We've been producing wine for 9 generations now. 10 if you count my daughter who's 8 and already presses wine ...

That was me on the left, 25 years ago, when I pretended to be fit & active!
Sure! Get in contact when you're back, and we'll arrange something!

Paul

Quick Reply: I got the bug ... in need of medication