XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

I wonder If Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013 | 09:04 PM
Veteran Member

Mine (LHD) have all parked on the passenger side. However, I have yet to drive an XJS that parked them automatically when turning the switch off

Old 08-06-2013 | 12:45 AM

Odd that this is being mentioned today, as I was musing the "proper" place to park my wipers. I couldn't figure out which way they should were supposed to go, as my wipers stop moving wherever I happen to turn off the wipers. If they happen to stop right in my field of vision, so be it, that's where they decide to stay until I move them again.

This being a unique car, I finally decided that it should have a unique place for the wipers. So now-days I simply park my wipers vertically, just up and down. It so happens that when they are like this, they are slightly to the right of me when I am driving (driver's seat on left side of car, USA).

Old 08-06-2013 | 09:07 AM

My 95 LHD coupe parks on the driver's side. I would like to change that to passenger's side. How is that done???

Old 08-06-2013 | 09:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RonaldP
My 95 LHD coupe parks on the driver's side. I would like to change that to passenger's side. How is that done???
New arms for sure and I would imagine a new logic controller.

Cheers,

Allan

Old 08-06-2013 | 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

After reading this I am glad I don't drive the XJS in the rain unless the forecast is totally of and even then she's only seen light drizzle.

Old 08-06-2013 | 11:29 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RonaldP
I did this.

Basically you remove the grille, pull up the motor assembly and rotate the cam 180 degrees.

You will need RHD wipers so that they park low, but I haven't changed mine out yet. It's not that annoying (maybe to the passenger it is).

No logic controller is needed.

Old 08-06-2013 | 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Vee
No logic controller is needed.
Vee,

That's interesting and good to know. I had peaked at the parts list and there were different wiper logic controllers for LHD and RHD with each having a different parking hand but perhaps that's just for mounting purposes?

Cheers,

Allan

Old 08-06-2013 | 01:09 PM
Vee
Veteran Member

I don't know. If you decide to do it, make sure you have about 2 hours of free time. That's about what it'll take you, maybe less.

Someday I'll find an old facelift XJS thats being parted out and it'll have the wiper arms I want. It's really not a need.

I've added a pic on what it looks like, parked, on my car.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
IMG_1278.pdf (137.9 KB, 119 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by Vee:
Mkii250 (08-06-2013), RonaldP (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013 | 02:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Vee
I've added a pic on what it looks like, parked, on my car.
Thanks, that would be too distracting for me and I'm happy with mine parked on the driver's side Very much a personal choice of course.

Cheers,

Allan

Old 08-07-2013 | 06:13 AM
Veteran Member

On my LHD '91 facelift they park on the passenger side. By doing this when they sweep the screen they sweep up to the driver side giving a bigger dry area in front of the driver and the smaller area in front of the passenger.

This is the same on my LHD Stags and grand voyager.
Not saying that this is the norm. but it does seem that most cars park on the passenger side thereby giving the better clean to the driver.

Now as to why Jags seem to do it both ways..........

Old 08-07-2013 | 07:25 AM
Veteran Member

Not to but I've been having a little chuckle about this.

Apparently Jaguar have been doing this for a very long time. As I look at photos of different models like XJ6, Mk2, XKE etc, I see the wipers are parked on either side although mostly on the driver's.

The real reason I posted this was I have been dying to use the horsey icon

Cheers,

Allan

Last edited by AllanG; 08-07-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-07-2013 | 07:47 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AllanG
Thanks, that would be too distracting for me and I'm happy with mine parked on the driver's side Very much a personal choice of course.

Cheers,

Allan
I thought the same and was searching for some RHD wipers so that they would lie flat, but it's completely not noticeable while driving. The arms are out of the drivers field of vision.

I intend to eventually swap out my arms for the ones that are angled for the passenger's side, but it's no longer a priority.

That being said, again, if someone across the pond wants to switch the position on their facelift model, I am ready to make an exchange!

Old 08-07-2013 | 08:45 PM
Veteran Member

Well, looking at my Triumph Stag, for the wiper mechanics the holes through the body that the arms go through are in a different place for LHD and RHD . . . now are the Jag holes in the same place for LHD/RHD and just the parking is different or are they also in different positions ?

Old 08-07-2013 | 11:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by malc4d
Well, looking at my Triumph Stag, for the wiper mechanics the holes through the body that the arms go through are in a different place for LHD and RHD . . . now are the Jag holes in the same place for LHD/RHD and just the parking is different or are they also in different positions ?
I just looked at a few dozen photos of LHD and RHD cars and the motor shafts are in the same position for both types. Both LHD and RHD cars are shown with the wipers parked on either the driver's side or the passenger's side. To add to the confusion there were 3 different arms used, straight, 4 degree and 10 degree which changes the aesthetic appearance significantly!!

As I said originally, there appears to be no rhyme nor reason

Cheers,

Allan