XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

imagination and ideas needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 194 Likes on 161 Posts

I found a set of race buckets on Craigslist. With some adjustment and the use of the expanding foam idea, I think they would work. Considering they aren't in the car, I could actually bring them inside and modify them to his body structure.
You folks have some great ideas!

Old 03-01-2013, 10:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

James, first off, kudos!
The way that formula one seats are made in Europe is the driver sits into a bag of conforming beads with a resin / Hardner inside of a large plastic bag. The persons body creates the depression on the outside of the bag, and the mix hardens in minutes. Just a thought, but maybe a few bags of bean bag filler (the ones my kids have have small styrofoam beads) and some sort of resin / Hardner mix and you have a conformed shape that could support your friend. Once hardened, you could shape the backside to fit your racing bucket and devise the helmet system.
A thought on that, I have a helmet support pad that encircles the neck and is intended to severely limit head movement. I used it for racing and a couple demolition Derbys.
I'd be more than happy to send it along for you to use.

The following users liked this post:
plums (03-01-2013)
Old 03-01-2013, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,178 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by JameyXJ6
I found a set of race buckets on Craigslist. With some adjustment and the use of the expanding foam idea, I think they would work. Considering they aren't in the car, I could actually bring them inside and modify them to his body structure.
You folks have some great ideas!
If sizing is a problem, you could mimic a true racing "bucket" using two pieces of plywood for the seat and back. They are then joined using triangular pieces of plywood as the sides. If you recline the passenger as much as possible, and tilt the head forward for vision, that is likely the most stable position possible as it spreads the force of gravity over the torso.

The collar mentioned by xjsfever sounds good. You may have something similar on your premises. Something like a whiplash collar.

Remember also that being able to extract your patient quickly is important. This is in the unlikely event of something catastrophic happening where the occupants must exit quickly.

.... good luck and I wish you success in this endeavour!

Last edited by plums; 03-01-2013 at 10:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JameyXJ6 (03-01-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 02:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

I think Plum's idea is sound.
We did some work many years ago (assisted co-incidentally by Stirling Moss) on people with severe head injuries to reduce the occurrence of pressure sores by foaming a cast.
The problem was absorbing sweat. The foam also got quite hot when curing but that may well have changed.
The process will probably be too expensive(maybe less than a custom seat though) but for short term use would give excellent results.
Without being silly it might even be possible to foam in a helmet to improve head restraint.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Sounds like a great idea.

Just a thought, everyone is concerned about the upper body. You may also need to consider some sort of attachment points for leg braces.

Legs are heavy and will flop around if unsecured.

With your foam ideas maybe elongate the seat squab to include a couple of strap attachment points for his legs.

Also with the helmet, if it is possible, go for a pro cyclist type with slots so that he will be able to hear and feel the wind and have an even better new experience.

I've cared for a disabled parent all my life (with wheelchair), when I was young and had my Spitfire we lowered my mum into it, literally tied her in, roof off and went for a long blast over the moors. 30 years later now at 80 she still recounts the experience.

I hope that you can arrive at a solution. You certainly have the moral support of everyone here.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:59 AM
Veteran Member

I'm hoping to avoid the use of a helmet with similar straps and braces around his forehead. I'm thinking a simple neck brace would stabilize vertical movement, and with a wrap around brace and a strap to control lateral movement.

The first ride would obviously be a gentle cruise around the campus. Then modifications and adjustments before making any "road trips".

Old 03-08-2013, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member

so where preliminarily approved by our department of recreational therapy. they are going to help me with any hurdles I may run into with insurance companies and such. now we move on to the mechanical and purchase of a racing seats

Old 03-09-2013, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member

Just had a thought...do you think any other Jag owners might want to join us for a cruise once I have everything in place? We might be able to make this even more memorable for him. Or would this be better as a more private thing?

Old 03-09-2013, 03:48 PM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

Installing racing seats are not always easy. As I noted before, find the local SCCA organization, who will probably find someone to donate their time and has the experience of mounting racing buckets in various cars. You'll find interesting and friendly people in the organization and they will also know how to install a harness to keep your passenger safe. Their installation may even help with the insurance your organization may need for the adventure. Besides, with a clean install by these pros, your car can be returned to normal very quickly too!

Old 03-11-2013, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

I'm pretty good at fabrication and intend to make seat brackets that bolt into the existing floor holes. The rest will be adjustments in the seat incline. I've found a Kirkey racing seat for $60 + $20 shipping. I'm bringing it to work with me where we'll fit it to him using foam wedges, then I'll have it covered over.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

consider getting a pair of coveralls or jump suit that fits him and adding ( sewing on) belts/straps that would allow you to "attach" your copilot to his seat... put several on the suit to allow multiple attach points for stability... shoulder, sides, legs, etc.
maybe use a riding helmet with a chin strap too, add some straps to secure the helmet to the headrest.
if you pick cool colors, he'll look like you picked him up from polo practice...

Old 03-12-2013, 07:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My daughter suggest getting a jump suit (white), helmet and 5 way harness to outfit him to be your TopGear "Stig" passenger.... all food for thought... it has to be functional, but it can also look and be fun...

Old 03-13-2013, 04:40 AM
Veteran Member

Any kind of one piece suit or even regualr pants won't work. His legs have contracted, which means his muscles have withdrawn to the point where he is in a permanent cross legged position. He's practically sitting on his heels and his legs won't unbend.

I was thinking of getting a jaguar jacket for him to wear and maybe a tweed hat?

Old 03-13-2013, 09:10 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

A true humanitarian J, good for you and your friend. Just wondering if a wheelchair restraint like they use in the van is a possibility, I mean he is in the van with the wheel chair and its not like you're gonna take him racing, you just want safety.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:14 AM
Veteran Member

His wheelchair has its own seat belt and when he's in the van they just lock the wheels down so it can't move and that's how he rides.

I think I can use the mounts for the factory seatbelt for the main restraint, and make the rest to just keep him still. The Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy Depts are supposed to meet with me to discuss this and any ideas they come up with.

The Kirkey seat should be here hopefully within a week or so. I'm hoping to borrow someones GoPro dash cam that has a sound recorder too so we can record this for him.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:55 AM
Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

might be a stretch... but i recommend 2 cameras.

one facing the road, another facing in... so he can remember his own reactions as well.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member

I'm thinking he might need a jacket to protect him from the wind...what do you think?
Jaguar Jacket Jackets Coat Coats Motor Sport Automobile Racing Size M L XL XXL | eBay

Old 03-28-2013, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member

I talked to him last night. he is starting to develop sores all over his legs and he said to me " I think the clock is ticking". not a good sign I'm afraid.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:35 AM
Received 101 Likes on 70 Posts

Sent you a PM

Old 03-29-2013, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member

The Kirkey racing seat is scheduled to be delivered today (Friday) and I'll bring it to work with me to be fitted. I took a close look at his wheelchair and realized I may have to fabricate some cradles for his arms. I don't think it will be to difficult though, using a piece of 4 inch pvc pipe cut in half lengthways and padded with foam.

Quick Reply: imagination and ideas needed