XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Improved oil or aux cooling?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,872 Likes on 7,151 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbros
i have seen many automatic transmissions , burned out and slipping , not shifting properly, from overheating!!

never seen one from running to cool, i suppose maybe with a oil cooler radiator the size of the engine coolant radiator?

I'm not sure that too cool would ever cause a durability issue. I think efforts to warm it, as mentioned, are to improve shift quality.

The vast majority of cars use the tried-n-true transmission cooler inside the radiator which, it seems to me, dictates the ATF temp will be somewhere close to coolant temp. Sufficient in most situations but is very plausible that engine overheating could push ATF temps into the danger zone.

Heat is definitely the killer and cooler is better.....but I'm not sure that unusual efforts to keep ATF super-cool will guarantee longer life. Keeping it in the 175-200ºF range, which is comfortably below the danger zone, should be enough to prevent any problems

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Grant Francis (07-10-2018), ronbros (07-08-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
I'm not sure that too cool would ever cause a durability issue. I think efforts to warm it, as mentioned, are to improve shift quality.

The vast majority of cars use the tried-n-true transmission cooler inside the radiator which, it seems to me, dictates the ATF temp will be somewhere close to coolant temp. Sufficient in most situations but is very plausible that engine overheating could push ATF temps into the danger zone.

Heat is definitely the killer and cooler is better.....but I'm not sure that unusual efforts to keep ATF super-cool will guarantee longer life. Keeping it in the 175-200ºF range, which is comfortably below the danger zone, should be enough to prevent any problems

Cheers
DD
HI DD , i have never been impressed with snake oil additives , but recently on wifes car (MITSU)> a small bottle of LUCAS trans lube and viola ,it is shifting better and smoother!!?? 155K on it. go figure,DAMIFINO.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbros
HI DD , i have never been impressed with snake oil additives , but recently on wifes car (MITSU)> a small bottle of LUCAS trans lube and viola ,it is shifting better and smoother!!?? 155K on it. go figure,DAMIFINO.
if Lucas impressed you then you should look into Archoil 9100 that is the liquid platinum of additives. Best industrial grade heat/friction modifier out there it'll make your diff/trans smooth, steering stop whining, and your rpm needle jump alot faster.

Originally Posted by Doug

Cheers
DD
Interesting. Without temperature probes its hard to tell but I see consistent spikes with aggressive driving (above 60kph with aux fan toggleswitch ON) and the temp gauge jumping up, I have to wonder how much is it is the trans in high rpm in 1st or 2nd gear vs general coolant temps.

Either way I guess that is next on my never-ending list