XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Information about pre-88 convertible

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2022 | 03:22 AM
|
Default Information about pre-88 convertible

Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum (already introduced myself) and will be picking up my 1984 XJS convertible next month (or the one after). It is a full convertible from 1984,
so it has been build by Arden from a coupé. Can anyone tell me more about these kind of pre-88 convertibles? I've looked online but can't find too much
about them. And what would you suggest, take off al the aftermarket chrome strips, spoiler and emblems of keep it 'Arden-original'?

The following users liked this post:
Mkii250 (01-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2022 | 03:37 AM

Welkom Rijdende Hollander
Nice looking car, you will have lots of fun with it and you willl be able to find any information that you need (or don;t need) on this forum. I see you're from the Netherdlands, like myself. I have a 1986 factory cabrio, Not a convertable but a targa.
I'm don;t know much about arden or other conversions. I know there were H&E convertables before 1987, but that's it. I'm sure there are many people here that can tell you all about it.
Groet
Evert

Old 01-14-2022 | 03:59 AM
Veteran Member

TheDrivingDutchman,

It's great to see a picture of the car. Arden convertibles are very unusual, I've only ever seen one. I'm a bit surprised it's a 1984 car. Even Arden's own website says they first made them in 1985?

The front spoiler looks like it was part of the original conversion. As regards the other items, perhaps you could contact Arden and see if they still have the build details. They are contactable via www.arden.de They even have a convertible for sale on their website!

Good luck

Paul

Old 01-14-2022 | 05:00 AM
|

Originally Posted by EvertXJS
Welkom Rijdende Hollander
Nice looking car, you will have lots of fun with it and you willl be able to find any information that you need (or don;t need) on this forum. I see you're from the Netherdlands, like myself. I have a 1986 factory cabrio, Not a convertable but a targa.
I'm don;t know much about arden or other conversions. I know there were H&E convertables before 1987, but that's it. I'm sure there are many people here that can tell you all about it.
Groet
Evert
Dankjwel Evert Indeed I'm looking forward to start on the forums, I'm sure I'll enjoy it! Thanks for your reply, maybe I'll see you and your targa on the road soon

Originally Posted by ptjs1
TheDrivingDutchman,

It's great to see a picture of the car. Arden convertibles are very unusual, I've only ever seen one. I'm a bit surprised it's a 1984 car. Even Arden's own website says they first made them in 1985?

The front spoiler looks like it was part of the original conversion. As regards the other items, perhaps you could contact Arden and see if they still have the build details. They are contactable via www.arden.de They even have a convertible for sale on their website!

Good luck

Paul
Thanks for your reply Paul. I'll have a look at their website and see what they can tell me about it, I'm curious what they'll say about it being a '84!

Old 01-14-2022 | 07:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TheDrivingDutchman
...Thanks for your reply Paul. I'll have a look at their website and see what they can tell me about it, I'm curious what they'll say about it being a '84!

If you don't already know, drop me a photo of your VIN sticker that includes the paint and trim colour codes and I'll tell you when the original coupe was built.

Paul

Old 01-14-2022 | 08:21 AM
Veteran Member

Nice car! Would like to see photos of the interior.

Old 01-14-2022 | 08:35 AM
|

If you don't already know, drop me a photo of your VIN sticker that includes the paint and trim colour codes and I'll tell you when the original coupe was built.

Paul
Thanks Paul, I appreciate that. I will send them as soon as I can pick the car up. I'm curious to see what you can find out about it for me.

Originally Posted by Mkii250
Nice car! Would like to see photos of the interior.
Thanks! This is the beste one I could find:

It definitely needs some work: new mats, removing the emblems and maybe a wood trim.

Mkii250 (01-15-2022)
Old 01-14-2022 | 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

TheDrivingDutchman,

That's really interesting! That interior makes me think the car could be a much earlier vehicle! The lack of wood veneer, the seats, the door cards, switchgear and steering wheel all seem to indicate that the car is a pre-81 pre-HE model?

Have you got a pic of the engine which would confirm either way? As I said, send me the VIN and I'll tell you.

Paul

Old 01-14-2022 | 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

The difference between an HE interior (in this case an 1983 model)

and a Pre-HE interior (1977 model)

Paul

Mkii250 (01-16-2022)
Old 01-15-2022 | 03:24 AM
|

TheDrivingDutchman,

That's really interesting! That interior makes me think the car could be a much earlier vehicle! The lack of wood veneer, the seats, the door cards, switchgear and steering wheel all seem to indicate that the car is a pre-81 pre-HE model?

Have you got a pic of the engine which would confirm either way? As I said, send me the VIN and I'll tell you.

Paul
Thanks for the pictures, mine definitely looks like a pre-HE! I found out the chassisnumber: JNAEW4AC101442.

It is really weird that on paper it's a 1984. If it's a pre-HE, does that mean it's less reliable as well as they made quite some modifications after 1981?

Old 01-15-2022 | 05:59 AM
Veteran Member

TheDrivingDutchman,

Your car has been converted from a much earlier pre-HE Coupe. It was built around Sep 1978. If I were you, I wouldn't upgrade the interior with veneer etc but just get it back to the way it left Ardens ie a pre-HE car with an Arden convertible conversion. Maybe their records (if they still exist) can tell if you they converted the bumpers to HE type etc?

As regards reliability, that's an interesting issue. There are others more knowledgeable than me who can opine on that. However, IMO, a pre-HE is a simpler setup than an HE (albeit still a complex Fuel injection setup!) and the type of cylinder head lends itself easier to more extreme performance upgrade. However, it is not as fuel efficient or setup for what was the merging US emissions legislation. Is it more reliable? Well the components are naturally older (if original), but I think it's somewhat easier to track down problems when they arise. I have a pre-HE but others such as Greg, Grant, Doug etc can give you a better view based on greater first-hand experience.

Cheers

Paul

Greg in France (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022 | 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

Offhand I can't think of anything making a pre-HE car less reliable than an HE except, perhaps, the OPUS ignition. Grant can offer info on that.

In a real world sense, there might not be any difference. We're talking about cars that are 40 years old. The actual present day condition of either example would have more bearing on reliability than original design or quality differences.

As the years soldiered on the build quality gradually improved but a 1978 car that is still on the road has proven itself with the test of time.

Cheers
DD

The following 3 users liked this post by Doug:
Greg in France (01-15-2022), orangeblossom (01-16-2022), ptjs1 (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022 | 10:07 AM
|

TheDrivingDutchman,

Your car has been converted from a much earlier pre-HE Coupe. It was built around Sep 1978. If I were you, I wouldn't upgrade the interior with veneer etc but just get it back to the way it left Ardens ie a pre-HE car with an Arden convertible conversion. Maybe their records (if they still exist) can tell if you they converted the bumpers to HE type etc?

As regards reliability, that's an interesting issue. There are others more knowledgeable than me who can opine on that. However, IMO, a pre-HE is a simpler setup than an HE (albeit still a complex Fuel injection setup!) and the type of cylinder head lends itself easier to more extreme performance upgrade. However, it is not as fuel efficient or setup for what was the merging US emissions legislation. Is it more reliable? Well the components are naturally older (if original), but I think it's somewhat easier to track down problems when they arise. I have a pre-HE but others such as Greg, Grant, Doug etc can give you a better view based on greater first-hand experience.

Cheers

Paul
Thank you very much for that extensive information Paul, really appreciate that. Never would have known it was a '78, good thing I found out because now I won't touch the interior. I got in touch with Arden and as soon as I will pick up the car I'll be able to find out more.

I don't mind the fact that it's a pre-HE really, even though it's less efficient and here in Holland we have one of the highest gas prices in the world. It'll be a weekend / summer cruiser anyway. But I'll get in touch with one of the mentioned members when the time has come, I'm sure they can help me out when needed!

Originally Posted by Doug
Offhand I can't think of anything making a pre-HE car less reliable than an HE except, perhaps, the OPUS ignition. Grant can offer info on that.

In a real world sense, there might not be any difference. We're talking about cars that are 40 years old. The actual present day condition of either example would have more bearing on reliability than original design or quality differences.

As the years soldiered on the build quality gradually improved but a 1978 car that is still on the road has proven itself with the test of time.

Cheers
DD
Thank you for the reasurance Doug. Older doesn't always mean worse indeed, I just have to get used to the fact that it's 6 years older than registered. Still not complaining, it seems like a proper maintained example so far!

Thanks,
Dwayne

Old 01-16-2022 | 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

Serendipity, I'd say. That's the way XJ-S was designed before the customers got involved. Authentic period cockpit.