XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Inlet Manifold Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014 | 03:44 PM
|
Default Inlet Manifold Removal

So I've started work on the Cam Cover gaskets etc. However I'm stuck on removing the Inlet Manifold. I am removing both sides as one piece. Am I correct in the statement that the only thing holding it in place are the 24 nuts? All the "soft" bits that don't hold it down are disconnected (hoses, wiring) but the manifold will barely move. What am I missing? I doesn't appear to have ever been opened up before this. This is on a 6 Liter V-12. Suggestions? A bigger mallet?

Thanks,
Bill

Old 05-08-2014 | 04:58 AM
Veteran Member

There is nothing else holding it. But it is easier with two, one each side joggling it a bit. Also, it is very easy to overlook something, eg fuel lines, breather stuff, throttle cable, looms, AAV hose etc etc.

Greg

The following users liked this post:
Bill C (05-08-2014)
Old 05-08-2014 | 07:29 AM
Veteran Member

I hope you removed those properly and didn't just take bolts out from left to right...same goes for putting it back on.

I'd give them a few accurate whacks with a deadblow to convince them a bit

Bill C (05-08-2014)
Old 05-08-2014 | 12:41 PM
|

Playing Whack-a-Manifold is slowly paying off. I'm getting some movement out of it but it's slow going.
Greg, thanks and yes I'll be getting more help this weekend when the boys are home from school. I've also spent a good bit of time with my head inside the compartment and I'm fairly certain that everything is unplugged or disconnected.
sidesscrollin, I've got the sequence down for the reinstall (center first, work to the outsides) but a sequence for the removal is new to me. Then again, this is all new to me.

Thanks,
Bill

Old 05-08-2014 | 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bill C
Playing Whack-a-Manifold is slowly paying off. I'm getting some movement out of it but it's slow going.
Greg, thanks and yes I'll be getting more help this weekend when the boys are home from school. I've also spent a good bit of time with my head inside the compartment and I'm fairly certain that everything is unplugged or disconnected.
sidesscrollin, I've got the sequence down for the reinstall (center first, work to the outsides) but a sequence for the removal is new to me. Then again, this is all new to me.

Thanks,
Bill
generally when you have a sequence for something the removal is the reverse of that. It is just as important because you can warp it taking it off wrong just like you can warp it putting it on wrong.

So to remove it you should have started at the outermost bolts and worked your way inwards

the gaskets are probably jsut good and stuck from being in place for so long

Bill C (05-08-2014)
Old 05-08-2014 | 02:24 PM
|

sidescrollin, thanks, I'll keep that in mind as I move forward.
For now I've taken a page from Grant's book. I've get a bottle of Bushmills on a table on the other side of the car. When I get the manifolds off I'll reward myself with Consumption of Alcohol.

Bill

Old 05-09-2014 | 05:11 PM
|
Default Got It!

I'm torn between just saying "It's off, time to move on" and telling the whole story which will (again) confirm my amateur status.
So, in the spirit of full disclosure, here goes.
Turns out, by my count, there are 26 nuts holding the Inlet Manifold down. The final two I had to find by feel as they were covered by a hose clamp. There are two metallic tubes running from under the throttle pedestal, just past the the second manifold stud (from the firewall), in between the cam cover and inlet manifold then terminates in the bottom of the manifold. It was clamped down at the stud. So, from top down on the stud it was, nut-clamp-nut-washer-manifold. Due to the clamp I never saw the the second nut. And because I had already removed 24 nuts, I figured it was the gasket holding the Manifold in place. I'm going through this explanation because I can't find any reference to this tube in the 6 Liter Service CD, the ROM, or any of the supplements I've got. (Found it. I believe it's the Air/Oil Separator lines)
At least I took it easy with the mallet......and now I can see to the Bushmills.

Bill

Last edited by Bill C; 05-09-2014 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Found it