XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Instrument cluster gouges, tach, speedo, trip computer all stopped working?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017 | 01:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg Wells
So with the gauge cluster out. Everything associated with that fuse is dead (backup lights and trip computer). Is that right. I've checked and rechecked the fuse but how could the gauge cluster cause the backup lights to now not work if the cluster is not even in the car right now?
I am a bit lost, but if you are saying that OTHER things associated with the fuse are not working, besides the gauge cluster things it supplies current to, then you have a loom problem.

If I understand correctly then, the first thing to do is to make sure, even though it seems the fuse has power both ends, that current really IS flowing past the fuseholder. The bottom clip is current in, the top clip of the fuse is current out to the loom. CAREFULLY jam a tiny piece of silicone (eg some insulation puilled off a 2 or 3 mm cable) between one side of the copper clip and the plastic divider between clips. This will ensure the copper fuse clip really grips tight on the fuse. Then reinsert a new fuse and see what happens.

I had exactly this problem on a friend's car with another circuit.

Old 09-08-2017 | 11:02 AM
|

And we have a winner! the fuse was in but seems that wedging it was needed to make the contact. Makes me wonder if this is the reason my Blower motor fans don't work as well now? Great help and thankyou!