XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 02:11 AM
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
Quite a while back and right after I redesigned the air intake on my '94 AJ6 XJS is when I first heard about this electrical "supercharger". I have a S/C XJR and I fully understand how a supercharger works and I've always thought that "a blower is a blower" and it shouldn't matter how any given device generates the necessary increase in intake air pressure/volume in order to, along with proportionate fuel increase, create a bigger intake charge. And, since at that time, I was all about getting more power, I thought to give this electric supercharger a try. By that time I had already eliminated the stock air box, so adding this device right there was a cinch.

Of course, there are two ways to assess this device. One is on a dyno and the other is, simply, by test driving your car switching the blower ON and OFF. After getting this device installed, I took the car to this dyno place and we did a few tests. Boost wise, this blower struggled to generate one whole PSI... and power wise it increased HP by 3 HP at best. In fact, the biggest surprise was when, with the blower switched OFF, we dyno'd the car with and without the air filter and discovered that removing the air filter generated a higher power increase (about 4 HP) than the HP gained by switching the blower OFF to ON. Of course, needless to say, these power figures were generated at the Jag's peak power-generating rpm's, so 3 HP at WOT is not an impressive figure by any stretch.

And the street performance? Forget it. It's like...is 3 more HP something that you can actually feel, especially by the time that your foot on the floor has your engine already screaming? Absolutely nothing like I felt with the far better power increase from the combo of my re-designed air intake (9" K&N under the left headlight) along with the new Magnaflow, baffle-free silencers and mufflers. Even the new, re-programmed Power Chip in the ECU put a smile on my face that the so-called electric blower wasn't even close to.

But, I still say, they can make an engine/pulley driven supercharger turn fast enough to generate some 10 or 20 PSI of boost, so how come that nobody has yet been able to produce a similar capacity blower via the electric motor principle? Of course that B&B thing is s..t, but I mean, a blower is a blower and a 10,000 to 20,000 watts electric motor with strong enough blades and a highly efficient smart design could possibly yield some 5 to 7 PSI, which would certainly be enough boost for an extra 40 to 60 ponies, not bad. Of course, the voltage would certainly need a boost for this because, in order to generate, say, 15,000 watts (VxI), with only 12 volts we're talking 1,250 amps (ouch!), so, OK, we add a voltage booster to reduce the current. Or, better yet, I've heard somewhere that in the future they're changing car voltage to 75 volts, which would reduce our electric blower demand to "just" 200 amps.

Only thing with this is that, up to 2 or 3 PSI, the car's stock F.I. system may be able to increase, thus match, fuel, but above that it would begin to need fuel over and above what the stock F.I. is capable of, most likely achievable with a re-mapping of the ECU.

All we need is somebody to figure that this device may just create a marketing craze and then search for some really smart electro-mechanical brains and design one. Since it takes a simple, easy mounting right before the airflow meter, you just buy a blower ($450?...) take it home and mount it. Then go out and enjoy it.

Somebody wake me up...

Cheers,
Unfortunately it just isn't that simple. Whether you choose to boost voltage (thereby reducing current required) or not, you still need the same power to spin the electric supercharger. To get performance close to a conventional supercharger you'll need around 40hp (some are higher!), which is 30kW of power. Getting 30kW out of an engine mechanically is fairly easy (gears or belts), and a good mechanical supercharger will use around 80% of that (with 20% wasted as heat and noise). So conventionally we take mechanical power, transfer it with belts or gears back into mechanical power produced by the supercharger.

Doing so electrically would mean taking mechanical power (from engine), converting it to electrical power (by an alternator or generator), transferring to the supercharger, which then converts it back to mechanical power (via a motor) to spin the lobes.

Getting 30kW of electric power is quite a feat too. In fact, if you were to install all the batteries from a Toyota Prius in your car, and fully charge them, they would only give you 2.6 minutes of supercharger time before running flat (running at its highest boost). Generating that sort of power without batteries would require a monster generator (alternator), plus heavy gauge wire everywhere, plus another monster motor to spin the supercharger lobes, and given the electrical power we are talking about you might also need active cooling systems to keep the generator and motor safe. Yes, you get more flexibility in mounting the thing, but in all other aspects, compared to a mechanical supercharger, you lose!

Interestingly some manufacturers (Audi is one I think) are looking to electric motors to boost (or pre-boost) their mechanical turbos (or turbo-superchargers to be accurate!). From what I've read this is to boost throttle response, and provide a little more performance low in the rev range. However, the motor cannot produce the same boost as the exhaust gases can (it is just an "assist" device), so once revs build the motor gives way to conventional turbocharging. Even with this low-boost assist solution, a standard 12V electrical system cannot cope, hence the move to higher voltages.

Dave

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (04-17-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

You're probably right, Dave, but I would like to experiment by starting with a smaller ambition project, something like a 6 PSI project. To observe this, I will leave the S/C area and go -for experimental purposes- into the similar subject of turbo's. The thing that keeps popping up in my mind is comparing this to the feel of an actual turbo. I've had typical turbo's in my hands before and I could feel how light it felt to spin the special bearings mounted turbine/compressor wheels. In fact, the spinning wheels inside a typical turbo, which are mounted on a common shaft, are fairly light and sensitive small fans that can spin almost by one just blowing some air on the turbine with an air hose on it. So, if we have light and easy to spin wheels and, instead of "blowing" on the turbine, we cut off the shaft and remove the turbine altogether and we replace it with a powerful and highly efficient electric motor whose shaft we weld to the existing compressor shaft, this motor should have no problem spinning that compressor at fairly high rpm's. Aha! But here's where the catch is: the rpm's that are necessary for this compressor to create enough intake air volume for, say, a 6 PSI boost may be up to, what, 80,000 -- 120,000 rpm's? Less? More? That turbo compressor wheel is a fairly small fan. High spinning? Absolutely! Hard to spin? NO by any stretch. It is light to spin as mounted on those ball bearings so, jeez, how many MEGA watts do we really need to spin that light little wheel just to produce 6 PSI of boost? Perhaps some variation from those new, sophisticated 700 watts, 400,000 rpm's magnetic bearings motors? The sky is the limit when it comes to electric motor technology.

Would I be going in the right direction when trying various modern electric motors to spin the compressor? Anybody else in this forum with some background and/or enthusiasm on something that would give your kitty a most welcome quickness boost for not that much? I would certainly hope so. But if not, well, it's OK because we still have a wild card up our sleeve. If this electric supercharger turns out to be a dead issue in the end (but hey, let's not forget that this still is all just wishful theory talk) and you were really hoping for an inexpensive electric S/C, you can still have 100 HP+, over and above stock on your kitty, just like I do on mine, and for a reasonable (for what you get) about US $1,500: a super simple to install nitrous injection system from Trevor, up in Doncaster, UK, AKA "The Wizard of Nos". And trust me, even if that electric S/C did turn out to be a reality after all, it is still no match for the true "Wizard of Oz" adventure that you would experience even with the mild starting 25 HP, let alone when you soon get to the 100 HP system (i.e. true, true stuff of dreams). --- Disclaimer: Absolutely my own enthusiasm from actual results, but I have nothing to do with that business.

Cheers,

Old 04-17-2016, 01:24 AM
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Indeed it is very easy to spin a turbo, but only without a load. Weld a plate over the output end, screw a pressure gauge into the plate, and then try spinning it until the gauge registers 6psi. You certainly can't do it by blowing into it!

Again, the Audi e-turbo technology is in addition to conventional turbos, and does not replace them. Manufacturers are using these to boost torque response, and not actually boost peak torque or power levels. And why don't they run solely electrically? Because the e-turbos consume a hell of a lot of power, and it isn't practical to store or produce this power, other than for short bursts.

The e-turbos spin up very quickly (70000rpm) in next to no time, and once the exhaust pressure mounts the e-turbo is simply a few kilograms of ballast. So the e-turbo only needs to operate for a second or two, not for the full 0-60mph or quarter mile dash. From what I've read on the topic, batteries or supercapacitors are used to power these e-turbos, which consume around 7kW of energy to spin. That's 7000W, or roughly the same power required to boil 3 electric kettles simultaneously. Again, this is a significant amount of electrical power which is far in excess of the electrical power most cars produce. Our XJSs produce around 1.2kW max, and some of them can't even reliably distribute that! Upping voltage helps you distribute that power (less loss due to resistance) but nothing else.

The advantage of batteries or supercapacitors is that you charge them up as you drive along, and they only discharge when the e-turbo is called into action. The downside is that once depleted the e-turbo is quite literally powerless and is again ballast. And this is why you still need your conventional turbos in addition to the e-turbo. The e-turbo simply cannot run continuously because its power demands are too high. As I said earlier, all the batteries from a Prius only give you minutes of run-time (11 minutes for a 7kW e-turbo).

This technology certainly is viable (it is being done as we speak!) but as a retrofit to a car that currently has no turbocharger I can't see the point. It would be (as you say) very similar to nitrous - a finite, on-demand performance boost that is not available every time you hit the throttle, and needs recharging (regassing) before its available again. There's nothing at all wrong with that, but I like consistent, repeatable performance in my car.

There's an interesting write up here (http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/how-to/a8820/how-electric-superchargers-work/) where an e-turbo is assessed (in addition to a conventional turbo), and found to improve 30-50mph acceleration from 9.0s to 8.7s... Hardly world-beating stuff!

I'm not at all dismissive of this technology in a modern car, when it has been designed and engineered as part of the entire powerplant and electrical system (in fact I find it very interesting and have read a fair bit on it), but as an add-on (or retrofit) I can't see how it would be practical, and if you're going to the trouble of e-turboing a N/A engine (which would require the same internal mods as using conventional turbos, such as lowering compression ratio), why wouldn't you just use conventional turbos?

But, to have a play with numbers let's say we aim for not the 8.7psi in that article but a conservative 4.4psi. Assuming the e-turbo was burning 7kW to produce 8.7psi, we can assume we need 3.5kW for our 4.4psi, or close enough to 300A at 12V. So we could produce that 3.5kW all the time, which means pulling our alternator out and replacing it with two large (220A) units, we could use a big battery bank (a la Prius) which we pre-charge (gives us 22 minutes of full-boost, so presumably a good hour of normal driving with a few quick launches), or we combine the two (smaller battery which we charge while we drive). The last option is entirely feasible, even with basic tech - an 80Ah lead acid battery (so add that to the car somewhere - closer to the e-turbo the better to reduce cabling) gives us 16mins of full-boost (I'm assuming that the battery will handle 300A current draw regularly). Provided that we push energy back into that battery when cruising, that system would probably cater for most driving styles without ever running out of juice.

But... We've had to add storage, add generator capacity, add electrical distribution systems, modify our engine (maybe we didn't have to lower our compression ratio for such a piddly amount of boost, but we have certainly had to modify our ECU). And yes we reap the rewards of increased performance (at 5psi a number of production vehicles such as the Nissan Frontier and some Saabs saw peak power rise by around 10% and torque by around 20% versus the same N/A engines) when we prod the throttle, but we burn more fuel while our generator loads up our engine as it works to pump that energy back into the battery.

It would certainly be interesting to see someone try it. I'd be happy to crunch some numbers for any brave soul willing to give it a go!

Greg in France (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by dstary
Indeed it is very easy to spin a turbo, but only without a load. Weld a plate over the output end, screw a pressure gauge into the plate, and then try spinning it until the gauge registers 6psi. You certainly can't do it by blowing into it!

Again, the Audi e-turbo technology is in addition to conventional turbos, and does not replace them. Manufacturers are using these to boost torque response, and not actually boost peak torque or power levels. And why don't they run solely electrically? Because the e-turbos consume a hell of a lot of power, and it isn't practical to store or produce this power, other than for short bursts.

The e-turbos spin up very quickly (70000rpm) in next to no time, and once the exhaust pressure mounts the e-turbo is simply a few kilograms of ballast. So the e-turbo only needs to operate for a second or two, not for the full 0-60mph or quarter mile dash. From what I've read on the topic, batteries or supercapacitors are used to power these e-turbos, which consume around 7kW of energy to spin. That's 7000W, or roughly the same power required to boil 3 electric kettles simultaneously. Again, this is a significant amount of electrical power which is far in excess of the electrical power most cars produce. Our XJSs produce around 1.2kW max, and some of them can't even reliably distribute that! Upping voltage helps you distribute that power (less loss due to resistance) but nothing else.

The advantage of batteries or supercapacitors is that you charge them up as you drive along, and they only discharge when the e-turbo is called into action. The downside is that once depleted the e-turbo is quite literally powerless and is again ballast. And this is why you still need your conventional turbos in addition to the e-turbo. The e-turbo simply cannot run continuously because its power demands are too high. As I said earlier, all the batteries from a Prius only give you minutes of run-time (11 minutes for a 7kW e-turbo).

This technology certainly is viable (it is being done as we speak!) but as a retrofit to a car that currently has no turbocharger I can't see the point. It would be (as you say) very similar to nitrous - a finite, on-demand performance boost that is not available every time you hit the throttle, and needs recharging (regassing) before its available again. There's nothing at all wrong with that, but I like consistent, repeatable performance in my car.

There's an interesting write up here (How electric superchargers work) where an e-turbo is assessed (in addition to a conventional turbo), and found to improve 30-50mph acceleration from 9.0s to 8.7s... Hardly world-beating stuff!

I'm not at all dismissive of this technology in a modern car, when it has been designed and engineered as part of the entire powerplant and electrical system (in fact I find it very interesting and have read a fair bit on it), but as an add-on (or retrofit) I can't see how it would be practical, and if you're going to the trouble of e-turboing a N/A engine (which would require the same internal mods as using conventional turbos, such as lowering compression ratio), why wouldn't you just use conventional turbos?

But, to have a play with numbers let's say we aim for not the 8.7psi in that article but a conservative 4.4psi. Assuming the e-turbo was burning 7kW to produce 8.7psi, we can assume we need 3.5kW for our 4.4psi, or close enough to 300A at 12V. So we could produce that 3.5kW all the time, which means pulling our alternator out and replacing it with two large (220A) units, we could use a big battery bank (a la Prius) which we pre-charge (gives us 22 minutes of full-boost, so presumably a good hour of normal driving with a few quick launches), or we combine the two (smaller battery which we charge while we drive). The last option is entirely feasible, even with basic tech - an 80Ah lead acid battery (so add that to the car somewhere - closer to the e-turbo the better to reduce cabling) gives us 16mins of full-boost (I'm assuming that the battery will handle 300A current draw regularly). Provided that we push energy back into that battery when cruising, that system would probably cater for most driving styles without ever running out of juice.

But... We've had to add storage, add generator capacity, add electrical distribution systems, modify our engine (maybe we didn't have to lower our compression ratio for such a piddly amount of boost, but we have certainly had to modify our ECU). And yes we reap the rewards of increased performance (at 5psi a number of production vehicles such as the Nissan Frontier and some Saabs saw peak power rise by around 10% and torque by around 20% versus the same N/A engines) when we prod the throttle, but we burn more fuel while our generator loads up our engine as it works to pump that energy back into the battery.

It would certainly be interesting to see someone try it. I'd be happy to crunch some numbers for any brave soul willing to give it a go!
Again, you're right in that this is, after all, quite a task to achieve in a purely electrical fashion, but I'd still say that there may be a compromise point where we can meet. First, motor technology already has awesome devices and it's only getting better, plus there is the projected future car voltage of 75 volts (although the individual feed to this S/C can always be boosted to some 120v) and not to dismiss something like further development of this Audi e-turbo. --- Second, we appear to have very different end products in mind. My purpose is not racing, but just rather having a fun device that you use once in a while and that you know "is there" for whatever the occasion... and which, I imagine, would be the preferential use for most XJS enthusiasts who happened to have a similar device on their kitties, which BTW is no different from what my nitrous setup is for me, as I do not race. Conversely, you’re talking not only about using boost for a ¼ mile, but also about having boost available for a consistent length of time (as in so you don’t run out). In fact, this here is the best example to assess what one can truly use, or even “need” in regards to available boost: My XJR has actually an eternity of boost available, yet, how much and how often do I (or the average XJR owner) invoke that boost? Well, unless you’re taking your kitty to the drag strip or the race track, not really that much and I can clearly see that, if my XJR boost was available only for up to those 22 minutes (or 16 minutes), at normal use it would take a long time to actually deplete this availability because I’m certainly not flooring my gas pedal after each red light or each turn of a corner, or all out racing. So then, why would I be using my electric S/C in any different manner, meaning constantly flooring the gas pedal, so I quickly deplete its boost availability?

In regards to the Audi e-turbo’s power requirement, you conclude that it isn't practical to store or produce this (necessary) power, other than for short bursts. Well, read above… my purpose is short bursts of boost, and I believe that this Audi e-turbo concept is up to something in the future, especially with cars going up to 75 volts. What I’m trying to say is that my personal purpose for such a device is milder, therefore, likely more achievable.

I much appreciate your generous sharing of sound electrical engineering knowledge. It is reminding me of reality while I dream of days of XJS glory that are clearly influenced by the genuine joy that my similar device/concept (nitrous) provides me with. Thank you.

Cheers,

Old 04-18-2016, 03:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
I got given an oil temp gauge for my birthday by the Management (after much hinting etc etc), and at the next oil change I am going to fit it using a special sump plug I have obtained with a specially threaded central bit into which I can screw the sender.

If they are, the louvres are going in.
Greg
@Greg

My oil temp gauge came with a sump plug adaptor, but we couldn't get it to not leak. After fiddling with it for a period of a few weeks, I eventually got sick of having oil all over the driveway and got it braised in place instead. Hopefully I just had a bad adaptor and yours works out ok.

I am absolutely convinced louvers would make a huge difference to XJS underbonnet temps. My DB9 has functional louvres on the bonnet and boy, do you get an incredible heat haze coming out of there when you are sitting still at traffic lights.

Greg in France (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 04:45 AM
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Exclamation Ripped of

This Brian Welcher sorry Welker is an absolute crook , I sent him $600.00 many years ago for xjs parts and delivery and got nothing. I chased him up via email many times all to no avail but the p...k takes advantage of overseas people . He is the sort of person that should be in prison not business . He is giving Americans a bad name also. My advice is NOT to deal with him . I mean this as a warning to help , no one deserves to be ripped off.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by John1949
He is giving Americans a bad name also. off.
So your going to judge a WHOLE nationality over your incident with one person? And you think that makes you look the better person between the two of you?

Old 04-18-2016, 06:54 PM
Default Rip off merchants

OK , Firstly this is not an apology , maybe I should have said that this sort of person gives American internet business a bad name .If you had the same experience as I had purchasing something in my country ( Australia ) I am sure you would be warning anyone considering dealing with Australia ,and rightly so .S0 that would give Australians a bad name ,would it not. But no one would interpret that to mean the whole population is bad , unless they had a low IQ.
Let me put you in the picture , I have visited your country a couple of times and have met many great people and a couple not so great , as you would find in my country . I enjoyed every minute of my visits. My son in law is American from Arkansas . I purchased a 36' motor home in Kansas ,I have owned a Ford galaxy , a Pontiac Firebird , and currently own a Camero, I tell you this is to indicate my high opinion of America and its people in general.
I purchase a lot of items including car parts from the States but it took a while for me to get my confidence back , is that not understandable ?
I meant no insult to the general population , that would be ridiculous to think unless as I mentioned previously you have a low IQ.
Lastly I take offence at your suggestion that I am the same as this Welker crook when my intention was to warn people ( yes including Americans ) that this person may rip you off . I had been in business for 45 years and never have and never would blatantly treat anybody this way.
As you had no second thoughts of insulting me , I think you must be a boring old fart that has nothing better to do than create an issue out of nothing.......Oh , warm regards John

Old 04-18-2016, 07:26 PM

Hi Revski , It may be of help to check out this blog from Bernard www.bernardembden.com/xjs/index.htm
Embden he is my type of man , a genuine xjs lover , and has made many useful changes to his car , including a real cold air intake .

Old 04-18-2016, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

Um, are you ok? You seriously think if I bought something from down under and had a bad experience that I would reflect that on all Aussie businesses then you sir have a serious problem separating isolated individuals from an entire population. If you were offended by my remarks then you may want to stay off Internet forums in general AND negative comments about businesses are not allowed on this forum ( not a moderator, just pretty sure that's the way it is) being I see by the number of posts you've made your somewhat new here and probably should have read the rules. Further more I would have to say your "ranting" isn't exactly getting you off on the right foot. But rant away, I have a thick skin and don't hold an entire population responsible for one individuals actions. Heck I still like Australians even after I've read your posts!

Old 04-19-2016, 12:31 AM

Yes I am fine but am a little concerned about you , you say you are thick skinned but maybe not , you still replied with your rant .You put a "spin " on my statements to suit your interpretation of what I say. once i have a bad experience with a purchase I do NOT think the entire nation is bad , the problem I have is knowing which ones are bad ones , and that does reflect on the nations business , like it or not. My original post on this character was when I was angry that he was still ripping people off , which I admit too . as far as rules go I apparently am not the only one who has not read them , scroll to the top of this thread and you will see 3 other links regarding their problems with this supplier ( using the term loosely ) and you may find more links from those , which I think it is a good thing to try and save people their money and time . It was suggested by a member a couple of years ago to have a page showing reviews of a business . I think good and bad would be a great help. My second post was not a rant but an explanation to you as you did not seem to comprehend what I was saying.
It is unfortunate that you did not like my posts ( not sure why ) but when I read a post that is wrong or even leaning towards the dumb side I still do not insult them but think " well , they were only trying to help " funny thing is I have read some of your posts and they were ok.
Now , going back to rules , I don't think this forum is for personnel arguments either , I joined as I was impressed at how many Jag owners were helping each other and thought maybe a I could contribute some info to help , I believe that some people do not have the money to take there cars to a shop , which I understand , so this sight can be almost life saving for some , the other side of the coin is that there are posts of interest and help to me . I did not wish to get into any arguments with any body, quite the opposite , you Sir have taken exception with a simple statement and blown it out of proportion . This is the last you will hear from me on this subject , you appear to like the last word so go your hardest and enjoy the rest of your life.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:00 AM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Be in no doubt whatsoever, I'm the one who is having the last word on this and that is IT STOPS HERE AND NOW.

Firstly to John1949, we don't describe dealers and traders as 'crooks' etc on the forum'. If you've had a bad experience then describe it factually. If you feel aggrieved, express derogatory opinions in a court and not on this forum.

Secondly to both John1949 and JTsmks, there won't be any more trading insults.

The majority of members come here to ask for and to give help. Members from different countries, of different ages and different level of experience with Jaguars usually manage to get along. Join them in that respect or you will be leaving us.

Time to cool down and get back on topic.

Graham

Don B (04-19-2016)