XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Interior wood, leather, Carpet Trim

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2023, 10:52 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Interior wood, leather, Carpet Trim

I am going to replace or repair most of the interior trim in my jag. Any good or bad experiences with different karpet kits, leather kits and wood repair? Most of the original wood is in good condition except for the ski slope is cracked and faded. Would anyone recommend sending out all the burl wood out to be refinished It is a lot more expensive but I think it may look better. would you recommend purchasing a new wood kit? My upper dash wood is solid wood the other wood is a vanier. Does the wood kits come with solid wood on the upper vent trim and the remaining trim a vinier? How did the kit come out looking and what manufacturer would you recommend?

What carpet kits have people used and what companies would you recommend? What leather kits have people used and what companies would you recommend?

Thanks for your ideas.

Old 02-13-2023, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,033 Likes on 2,015 Posts

Patrick,

If it's original, all of the wood trim in your XJS is veneered not solid. I'm sure there may be companies in the US that provide veneer kits, but, if not, the following is used by a lot of owners:

https://www.myrtleltd.com/

As regards carpet and seat covers, the following is one of the best in the UK for Jaguar trim:

https://www.aldridge.co.uk/

Good luck

Paul

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (02-14-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 06:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick 1989 XJS
I am going to replace or repair most of the interior trim in my jag. Any good or bad experiences with different karpet kits, leather kits and wood repair? Most of the original wood is in good condition except for the ski slope is cracked and faded. Would anyone recommend sending out all the burl wood out to be refinished It is a lot more expensive but I think it may look better. would you recommend purchasing a new wood kit? My upper dash wood is solid wood the other wood is a vanier. Does the wood kits come with solid wood on the upper vent trim and the remaining trim a vinier? How did the kit come out looking and what manufacturer would you recommend?

What carpet kits have people used and what companies would you recommend? What leather kits have people used and what companies would you recommend?

Thanks for your ideas.
I see you're US based. To some extent, it'll depend how much you want to spend.

I had new carpets and seat covers and the veneer refinished this time last year; carpet and seat covers from Jeremy @ Paul's Jaguar in Oakland Park (FL) and veneer refinished by Saul @ British Autowood.
To be honest, I don't think either of these suppliers are the cheapest, but I was very pleased with the results. You can certainly get cheaper carpet and seat covers.

Old 02-13-2023, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 638 Likes on 405 Posts

Paul's is great. Recently got seat skins, and my door panels rebuilt by them. Top quality products and service. Highly recommend.Jon

Old 02-14-2023, 02:49 PM

Thank you for all of the information. There a companies that sell the burl wood veneer that glue over the existing wood trim. Is it better to have the original wood refinished (more expansive) or to purchase a veneer kit? I know the lower dash and ski plate are flat plates with veneer and would be easily covered by a new wood veneer. My concern is the upper panel vent covers and glove box are made with some type of solid thick wood with rounded edges and a vanner. Will a kit come with solid wood, rounded edges and the veneer already installed on top to look like the original installation or do you get a thin veneer that needs to be attached to the existing wood with rounded edges and you have to try and wrap the veneer around the rounded edges? Are both Myrtle LTD and Wormy Store (USA) good wood kit?

I am looking at Cloverdale to provide Wessex and Kensington wool carpet samples. Is this a good product and reasonably priced?

Paul, I looked to the products from Aldridge company and they have a lot of good products. Some of the items you ship the original door panels and corner panels to their factory and they will install the leather and ship it back completed with the original Burberry colored leather.

Thanks for all of the good information!
Same question it better to have the original wood refinished (more expansive) or to purchase a veneer kit? Can you see the difference between the two options?

Old 02-14-2023, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,033 Likes on 2,015 Posts

PAtrcik,

Personally, I wouldn't purchase a DIY wood veneer kit. You will need to fully strip off the old veneer first and scrupulously clean the underlying wood. Then you really need a quality vacuum system to get the veneer to bind properly, particularly to any curved surfaces, of which there are many on the XJS pieces. If you love the whole DIY bit and have the equipment, then that's fine. But you really can't afford to get the veneer wrong as the car will look awful.

I would just buy new pieces from somewhere like Myrtle. If you are retaining some of your original bits and you send them really good quality pics of your retained pieces, they can supply other items to a good quality colour match. I'm sure they may be other suppliers on your side of the pond.

Cheers

Paul

Old 02-15-2023, 08:33 AM

Paul,
I agree with you. I am going to send all of the dashboard parts out to be refinished to match the existing burl wood color of the side panels that have not faded.

How difficult is it to remove the trip computer without causing any wiring issues or faults? I am thinking about removing the trip computer, ordering a new piece of burl wood trim and installing an analog jaguar clock?