XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Jag V12 Dual Trunnion Engine Stand.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 07:37 PM
Received 95 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Jag V12 Dual Trunnion Engine Stand.

Salutations

The next part time project is to make a dual trunnion engine stand …. I remember seeing one a while back on the net … Jag design for the V12.

Had a google and cannot find it … it was in a Gumtree add from memory.

I have two engine stands … I think they fell off the back of a truck … one is in the Pic .. plan is to modify these to turn them into a dual trunnion stand.

Dimensions or Pic’s of one with or without the V12 Jag motor on it would be much appreciated ....also dimensions for the engine mount … I plan to make it so the transmission and motor can be bolted up while on the stand.

All comments welcome.

All good

Darren

Old 11-17-2019, 02:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,413 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Darren
Do you mean a stand each end, or each side? If so a great idea, I made something similar when I rebuilt my tractor engine. The difficulty is getting the two stands and the two engine attachment fulcrum points (ie the line the engine is revolving about when turned) in an exact straight line. This is not at all easy, I found anyway, and it only has to be a tiny bit out to not turn easily, or at all. I got mine to work, sort of, but I never did really sort out how to adjust the entire system properly. So worth a bit of thought and building in adjustability somehow.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (11-17-2019)
Old 11-17-2019, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Darren
Do you mean a stand each end, or each side? If so a great idea, I made something similar when I rebuilt my tractor engine. The difficulty is getting the two stands and the two engine attachment fulcrum points (ie the line the engine is revolving about when turned) in an exact straight line. This is not at all easy, I found anyway, and it only has to be a tiny bit out to not turn easily, or at all. I got mine to work, sort of, but I never did really sort out how to adjust the entire system properly. So worth a bit of thought and building in adjustability somehow.
Hi Greg

There will be a stand "each side" fixing to the engine mount bolt holes on the block as a minimum .... "there will be an adjustable lower crosss member" connecting the two trunnions.

I have a few basic overall length and width dimensions to work with .... however the one i need to confirm is the face to face dimension of the mounting points where the engine mount brackets bolt to the block..... + / - accuracey would be OK ... will take councel but i do not see how i can confirm this measurtment with the engine in the car.

With this dimension and some more Omphaloskepsis (glass of Red also helps) things should start taking shape.

all good

Darren

Old 11-17-2019, 11:33 PM
Veteran Member

Darren
Do post a drawing when you have it sorted. Is the measurement you need the horizontal distance between the mounting bracket points each side of the block? If so i can measure it on my spare engine.

Old 11-18-2019, 03:50 AM

Hi Greg

Is the measurement you need the horizontal distance between the mounting bracket points each side of the block?........Yes Please ....!

....the journey will be photo recorded .... with a drawing minus red wine stains ....!

all good

Darren

Old 11-18-2019, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by darrhel
Hi Greg

Is the measurement you need the horizontal distance between the mounting bracket points each side of the block?........Yes Please ....!

....the journey will be photo recorded .... with a drawing minus red wine stains ....!

all good

Darren
Darren
Give or take 5mm, 295mm.

The following users liked this post:
darrhel (11-18-2019)