XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Just Bought an XJS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017 | 04:21 PM
Banned

It is hard for me to tell you just how much play it should have and frankly I am not sure anyone can but perhaps so. My suggestion is close inspection of the mount and if any cracks are visible then you may want to replace it. I can tell you that unlike the engine mounts when worn cause the fan to hit the fan shroud when revving the engine, the transmission mount does not cause any immediate damage to anything. The car looks fantastic from the photos.

Old 03-06-2017 | 05:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Roamer
Thanks daverb! I just got a call today that the paint touch-up/buffing is done and the car is ready.

While at their shop I had them do an oil change. When the owner called me he said you may need to have the transmission mount looked into. He said when it was being lifted they noticed play in the transmission mount. I know the trans is supported by a spring and some play is expected. My question is how much should it move?? Anyone know?
When they are badly worn they clunk. You should not be able to move the rear of the trans much by hand up and down. If its minor wear you could shim it with rubber, Greg had a similar problem recently maybe he will chime in and tell you what he did.

Old 03-06-2017 | 06:27 PM
Veteran Member

Lateral movement can be a bigger problem so check the "cotton reel" also. You may find it no longer exists at all.

Old 03-06-2017 | 06:54 PM
|

Originally Posted by warrjon
When they are badly worn they clunk. You should not be able to move the rear of the trans much by hand up and down. If its minor wear you could shim it with rubber, Greg had a similar problem recently maybe he will chime in and tell you what he did.
When I first got the car (cold weather) there was a clunk over bumps. Since the weather has warmed up a bit no clunk.

If the mount is worn what wears out? The spring or some other component? It is a really unnecessarily complex unit.

I will add that the car runs and drives very smoothly.

Last edited by Roamer; 03-06-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-06-2017 | 08:21 PM
Veteran Member

There is a rubber cup and cotton reel when these wear you get noises. You can buy the kit that includes the spring, cotton reel and cup.

Replacing it is not difficult just time consuming as the bolts are above the exhaust which are accessible unless the exhaust has been modified.

Old 03-06-2017 | 08:46 PM
|

There is a rubber cup and cotton reel when these wear you get noises. You can buy the kit that includes the spring, cotton reel and cup.

Replacing it is not difficult just time consuming as the bolts are above the exhaust which are accessible unless the exhaust has been modified.
Thanks warrjon. Can you provide a source for the kit in the US for a 1995 4.0? I have searched and it seems the parts for the mount are sold individually. Not knowing exactly what I need I hate to buy a bunch of things I don't need.

Old 03-06-2017 | 09:33 PM
Veteran Member

Coventry West seems to be where some of the guys get their parts in the US, I'm in Australia so I use a local guy here.

Old 03-06-2017 | 09:35 PM
|

Coventry West seems to be where some of the guys get their parts in the US, I'm in Australia so I use a local guy here.
Ok thanks. I'll check them out. Meanwhile I'll try to get the car on a lift so I can check it out myself.

Old 03-07-2017 | 07:09 AM
Veteran Member

A single 3ton floor jack ( low profile ) under the front crossmember ( shim with wood to avoid bending ) will raise it enough. Use stands. A second floor jack for the tranny support / lowering will get it done.

One spring seat, one trans bushing is enough. New spring if you want or need it. One hour job. Two if you haven't had the exhaust apart yet. Looks daunting and reads worse on the internet but it's not bad.

Old 03-07-2017 | 09:44 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Old 03-07-2017 | 09:43 PM
|

Thanks guys for all the tips and links. Right now I am waiting for a break in the weather to go pick up my cat. Can't wait to see how she looks after the paint correction!

Old 03-10-2017 | 03:18 PM
|

I picked my car up today and it looks great! Night and day improvement in the paint. Well worth the $$$

While there we put it on the hoist so I could check the transmission mount. You can move it up and down an inch or so. Please take a look at the video and tell me if you think this is normal or excessive.

Old 03-10-2017 | 03:42 PM
Veteran Member

That mount needs replacing.

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017 | 07:15 AM
|

That mount needs replacing.
The car runs, drives, and shifts perfectly. There are no noises or vibrations. So I guess my question is what problem am I solving by changing it and am I hurting anything by driving it?

Old 03-11-2017 | 08:58 AM
Veteran Member

The car runs, drives, and shifts perfectly. There are no noises or vibrations. So I guess my question is what problem am I solving by changing it and am I hurting anything by driving it?
Preventative maintenance, you are stopping it clunking/failing soon. Also the diff and UJs and gearbox tailshaft get more stressed than they should with that degree of play. In my view, anyway!

Old 03-11-2017 | 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

So I guess my question is what problem am I solving by changing it

Ha! Interesting way to look at things, I like it

The 'problem' is knowing that it needs to be replaced....but not doing so. This will become a nagging, dogged itch that much be scratched.....the kind that itches so badly that you claw away at your skin until it bleeds.

Well, that's how it always turns out for me, at least!

Worse, if you neglect this repair then....what repair will you neglect next? It all starts going downhill. Soon enough you (or the next owner) will be faced will a long list of 'needs to be done' items...eventually making XJS ownership seem like a very unhappy proposition. This brings about about sadness, depression, lack of enthusiasm and productivity, and withdrawal from the community. The long term eventual result of this is nothing less than a slow, insidious tugging and tearing at the very fabric of society. All because you didn't replace the transmission mount.

How's that ?

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Pawsnclaws (05-12-2017), paydase (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017 | 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Whew, ???? I've tons of deferred maintenance every where ? Your symptoms are tantamount to a Van Gough type madness.

Is that my fate??

No sir. Warts and all, my Jaguar is a source of enjoyment !!! I was at the local Rite Aid Pharmacy yesterday. It is near the retirement community of Rossmoor. An older fellow came up to chat. He admired my car's lines and exhibited a limited knowledge of them. He told me that as a retired carpenter, he did no want driving pickup trucks
any more. He invested in a circa 65 red Mustang convertible. Yes, sir, I've seen you drive that car, a real beauty...

Car guys admire whatever critters....

Well, not mere appliance cookie cutters....

Carl

Old 03-11-2017 | 10:45 AM

there is a "wheeler dealers" xjs 3.6 auto programme where edd china changes the gearbox mount. that may be helpful.

Old 03-11-2017 | 11:14 AM
Banned

My book on how to buy an XJS will be up for sale later today, and although I do not address this issue, I do address so many other issues that can cost thousands after the fact. Most items that people think will cost just a couple of hundred but every couple of hundred becomes thousands very fast. I point out in the book the cost of many parts and repairs so the buyer knows what to expect prior to purchase.

There is no way around repairs when the car is yours. The XJS is not a cheap car, so when things are worn, you just have to fix it. You can pay now or you will pay so much more later.

Old 03-11-2017 | 01:04 PM
|

Originally Posted by Doug
Ha! Interesting way to look at things, I like it

The 'problem' is knowing that it needs to be replaced....but not doing so. This will become a nagging, dogged itch that much be scratched.....the kind that itches so badly that you claw away at your skin until it bleeds.

Well, that's how it always turns out for me, at least!

Worse, if you neglect this repair then....what repair will you neglect next? It all starts going downhill. Soon enough you (or the next owner) will be faced will a long list of 'needs to be done' items...eventually making XJS ownership seem like a very unhappy proposition. This brings about about sadness, depression, lack of enthusiasm and productivity, and withdrawal from the community. The long term eventual result of this is nothing less than a slow, insidious tugging and tearing at the very fabric of society. All because you didn't replace the transmission mount.

How's that ?

Cheers
DD
The future of Western Civilization is resting on my transmission mount!!! Who knew???

Great post!!!