XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Just found an XJS on Amazon prime!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 10:47 PM
Received 286 Likes on 183 Posts
Default Just found an XJS on Amazon prime!

I was looking for something to watch and typed in “cars” on amazon prime. I was looking at the options and went “oh really!”. One of the shows was “Hands on cars” and it was 12 episodes, but it was all about an XJS build. Each episode is only a few minutes so needless to say I watched them all! Long story short, Im not wild over the wheels, but what a beauty! They do swap in a 6.0, but most of the upgrades are to stock components. I would love if mine ends up 1/25th what that one is! Lol! They dont say how much it all cost in the end, but I figure more than likely Im working with 1/25th what they spent! Lol!

The following 6 users liked this post by Timeisrelative:
EcbJag (02-01-2019), kjopen (02-01-2019), Mac Allan (01-31-2019), orangeblossom (02-01-2019), petemohr (02-02-2019), RickE (02-04-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-01-2019, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,812 Likes on 2,639 Posts

Hi Timeisrelative

Thanks for the 'Tip'

Great Find!

I've just started watching this 'Hands on Cars' (XJS) Series on Amazon Prime and found it absolutely riveting!

In fact I'd go as far as to see that I've never seen anything like it, with very clever editing that takes out the boring bits and condenses it down into much smaller segments of about 3 minutes or so, which seem to seamlessly roll into one another

The level of skill is just out of this World and the action never lets up. as they pull this XJS apart and put it back together in such a way that you can't take your eyes off the Screen

As for this Car's Paint-Job, just don't get me started as I am simply lost for words in trying to describe what they have done, as its not so much a respray but more like calling Rembrandt in to paint your Kitchen Ceiling

They took a plain White XJS and turned her into an awesome red hot stunner, with a Museum quality finish that will have you crying your eyes out as She just looks so beautiful that it will have you 'tearing up' the moment that you cast your eyes on her

If you own an XJS you simply need to take a look at this and the Breakers where they found the Engine quite simply beggars believe, as its so huge they loan you a ginourmous bag of Tools as well as a 'Buggy' to drive round in

If you have ever wanted to go to Auto Heaven then this surely must be it, as you could spend forever there and not see everything

As for the Engine they lumped her with a V8 that really looked a proper bag of old spanners and took this diamond in the rough and turned it into an Automotive 'Gem'

If only they'd used an AM V12 but then we can all dream but in any event what they did to this Car was fantastic and must have had a budget that was from another Planet

All in all one of the best productions I have seen, well put together, informative and very entertaining with left me with a feeling of so glad that I watched this and as for me I had to go out and am not even up to the Test Drive

And this is like a book you can't put down!

Last edited by orangeblossom; 02-02-2019 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:20 PM
Received 286 Likes on 183 Posts

Excellent narrative! I enjoyed it enough that I showed it to my son today and watched it in the same excitement as the first time. I have a feeling I'll end up watching it again with my dad (who loves cars and used to do body work). The paint was absolutely lustrous, and I would love to have something that gorgeous ,but Id have been perfectly happy with the quality of the white paint! Lol! I will say I still cringed at them covering the wood, and the wheels. Lol. Even my son said "Oh no" to the wheels

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (02-02-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 07:49 PM
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

For anyone in Canada, our Amazon Prime Video doesn't have the same content as the US so we can't get this!!..... however, all is not lost - it is available on youtube! And the quality is very good.

orangeblossom (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 12:41 PM

Ok, I watched all 13 episodes.... so here goes - in 'my opinion' the workmanship was very good but I have to ask myself, why buy this heritage car in the first place if you don't like it and then you go and put a little engine in it and change it to a modern looking interior? Yes, you have the benefit of modern parts (and more hp became available) and technology that wasn't available to the Jaguar engineers, but why strip and change a car you don't like to start with? What would these guys do to a Ferrari one shudders to think....

I always wanted a Classic Jaguar V12, I've got a Classic Jaguar V12. (yes, I'm British.... (and Canadian!))

- this comment has probably put the 'cats' amongst the pigeons.... ;-)

NCJagman (02-09-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 07:15 AM
Received 360 Likes on 213 Posts

Just watched all 16 episodes and really enjoyed it. Will be watching it again with mu boys also.
Loved the new wiring, oh and the paint!

Old 02-04-2019, 12:33 PM
Received 328 Likes on 212 Posts

Kevin Tetz “Paint-u-cation” and his old stuff of Nashville Network/Spike/Paramount “Powerblock” was always excellent. He’s a body guy, so no surprise the paint is awesome... even if his taste in engine is fairly blue collar . I watched enough of his videos and other in YouTube to paint my own car.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

127 HP? Was the thing running on one bank?

Old 02-05-2019, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not a fan of lumping but I loved the show. I really liked what he did with the suspension, exhaust system, and paint in that order. I would have gone with a black "chrome" wheel or dark gray wheels. As for the LS motor, I gave mixed feelings. I'd keep the original engine but change the rear end and install a 6 speed. Something was wrong with the engine if it only put out 125 HP as the rear wheels. The V12 could have been sorted for a lot less time and money, but I guess the point of the show was the re-engineer the entire car.

Henry

Old 02-05-2019, 10:38 AM
Received 302 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by kjopen
For anyone in Canada, our Amazon Prime Video doesn't have the same content as the US so we can't get this!!..... however, all is not lost - it is available on youtube! And the quality is very good.
Can you point me to it on YouTube, as I don't have Amazon Prime?

Old 02-05-2019, 10:55 AM

here's the first episode:-

just change the search for the next ones it is good!

Old 02-09-2019, 03:27 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm with you. I too watched all the episodes and while it was very well done it's not a Jaguar (Jagwaar?) XJS anymore. And please, enough already with the Prince of Darkness BS. In seventeen years of XJS ownership I've had one relay fail. Like jkopen I wanted a V12 XJS, I bought one (2 actually) and love it like it is. Yes it can be a pain in the *** sometimes and expensive to fix but to me that the price of owning a genuine Jaguar. It was 49f when I took mine out today with the top down and loved every minute just as it came out of the factory.

kjopen (02-09-2019)