XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Just got my Lloyds mats, kinda disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2020 | 07:12 AM
|
Default Just got my Lloyds mats, kinda disappointed

So my old mats are pretty shot and i decided to go with Lloyds mats for a new front set. I went with the "ultimat" mat and it cost $103 shipped. I got them and the first thing i noticed was there weren't holes for the turnbuckles. They did say there might not be, but i figured that i could fit my old bits if i needed to. They are really nice and look and feel good, but then i went to try to install them and thats when i noticed how much longer they were. They fit pretty nicely in the footwells after some pressing in, but they go partway over the seat module covers. They included some hook type fasteners, but I'm not sure exactly how they would work. Here's some pics. !

Last edited by Timeisrelative; 06-24-2020 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-24-2020 | 11:30 PM
Veteran Member

Honestly, tan carpeting always looks crappy to me. My car came with it, now its green. So dont feel bad, itll never look amazing. Hope you make it work.

Old 06-25-2020 | 12:27 AM
|

Im not necessarily disappointed with the color, more the fact that they are so long compared to the factory ones. I know at some point the factory ones went longer, but im not sure when that was

Old 06-26-2020 | 10:08 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

I'm currently in process on an order from GB Classic Trim, and if the sample they sent me is any indication, it's gonna make a fantastic match. (I have the coffee, SDC color) Shipping will double the cost of Lloyds (its from the UK), but the quality seemed excellent and they claim they have the original templates. I ordered the original carpets, which is all I've ever had, and I believe it will come with the OEM heelpad. I then ordered overmats, which, again, I've never had and decided now was the time.

I have a 96, so the template will be different, but if they hit the nail on the head with my mats, I'm sure they'll do even better for every other model!

Stay tuned, I will provide pics and a thorough review.

The following 2 users liked this post by Vee:
ralphwg (06-27-2020), Timeisrelative (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020 | 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Timeisrelative
Im not necessarily disappointed with the color, more the fact that they are so long compared to the factory ones. I know at some point the factory ones went longer, but im not sure when that was
What is their return policy? If it's too long to lie flat and not cover part of those module covers I'd call that not fitting. I thought the earlier cars had the longer mats, because they didn't have those same module covers, but I could be wrong.

The following 2 users liked this post by XJ6Paul:
ralphwg (06-27-2020), Timeisrelative (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020 | 02:00 PM
|

I had been talking with a rep via email and he said about sending pictures, to which i did. Of course then he hasn't replied since. I guess we'll see.

Old 06-26-2020 | 03:17 PM
Vee
Veteran Member

I would prepare a photo showing the old mats next to the new ones, so that they can see the difference in length. This should hit home the message that they are more than a few fractions of an inch off.

Old 06-27-2020 | 05:55 AM

i would say your 'original' mats were the same, given they are cut off at this end of the picture on both of them ( binding edge missing )

that its the trouble with ' aftermarket ' non original items, its hit and miss, and i know its a cost saving , and people are painted into a corner when original parts may no longer be available but

sometime you get what you pay for ?

BB

Old 06-28-2020 | 04:11 AM
|

Originally Posted by Vee
I would prepare a photo showing the old mats next to the new ones, so that they can see the difference in length. This should hit home the message that they are more than a few fractions of an inch off.
I actually did send them a picture like that too.

Old 06-28-2020 | 04:20 AM
|

Originally Posted by Brake buster
i would say your 'original' mats were the same, given they are cut off at this end of the picture on both of them ( binding edge missing )

that its the trouble with ' aftermarket ' non original items, its hit and miss, and i know its a cost saving , and people are painted into a corner when original parts may no longer be available but

sometime you get what you pay for ?

BB
Actually no, they were the original and no, they weren't cut off. The binding edge was ripped off and flopping underfoot when i got the car so I removed what was left of it. You can see, not in the picture, where the edger was on the mats, also where the factory heel pad used to be. Yes sometimes you get what you pay for and oem parts are the best way to go sometimes, but seeing as how the factory mats have been discontinued for literally years its hard to find anything other than someone who just happened to buy a spare set 20 years ago and finally decided to get rid of them for an insane amount. The Lloyds mats i have in my XK8 fit perfectly and look and feel great, which is why I went with them.

Old 08-07-2020 | 08:14 AM
|

Well after a decent amount of back and forth, some with replies and some without, I was finally told to draw out a template of my old mats. After a week after I saw they received them, I emailed the guy I had been working with. He replied that he was on vacation and told me I should contact the other person. I didn’t have that person’s contact info so I asked him. He never replied. So I sent a message on the website. I waited a day and a half then I decided to look on Facebook. Sure enough they have a page and message options. I sent a message and within an hour I was given the other person’s direct phone number. I called and she said “yes I have the tube you sent here” I had rolled the templates up and put them in a cardboard tube. Needless to say they hadn’t opened it yet. I talked for a few minutes with her and she said they would probably take about 7 days to complete due to the coronavirus. Well they came in yesterday and they look and fit great! They were even able to add in plastic turnbuckle holes. I’m thinking alot of my issues may have been with the guy I was dealing with. Smh