XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Lattice Alloy Refurbishment with Tires on or off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 09:20 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with what was said earlier that you will have to unmount the old tire first and send it out to be refurbished. When you get them back painted we used to do the following; use very soapy water (mild soap though) around the beads, and push the first half of the tire on. Cut some pieces of radiator hose to fit over the claws on the mounting machine, and get those plastic rings that protect rim lips in shipping.. Put the ring on the lip and use more soapy water and turn the second bead on. Remove plastic ring, rinse and dry completely. Inspect and touch-up any spots, then inflate to seat the bead. After that you can make your way to the nearest concours

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (04-04-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Yep tyres off for true refurbishment, on if you just want to clean and polish.

If you want a slightly bigger wheel but still stay 'original', Jag offered the lattice wheel in a 16" option for a while I believe. This would give you better handling and choice of tyres while staying true to the brand Speedo differences would not be an issue with the correct profile tyres.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 570 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by gregh

-Any comments on the wheels would be appreciated, pro or con.

I like them. Do they have to be machined, to fit the Jag's hubs properly (hub-centric)?

Old 04-03-2014, 06:41 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbov8
I suppose it would depend on what you want to do with the car as to how you have the wheels refinished.

As your tyres are shot it would be better to have them removed before refurbishing the wheels. As long as the guy is careful when fitting the new tyres there should be no problem with any damage.

When I had my lattice wheels redone they were finished with paint and lacquer as per original, but that is the way I like it. As added protection from brake dust, I also fitted brake dust shields on the front and never had a problem with brake dust after that.

Hope this helps,

when I had mine powder coated (many yrs ago now) I tried the brake dust shields.... could not stop them making noise. Well, water under the bridge now just my 2c

Old 04-04-2014, 11:44 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi gregh, I think those wheels would look great on almost any car. if you like them go ahead.
why keeping the wheels original, it won't matter for the value of the xjs, the very moment it does get your old rims refitted.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,771 Likes on 2,611 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64
Moving forward and as these wheels may be difficult / time consuming to keep in good order........

Please check out Sonax FULL effect wheel cleaner or the Advanced wheel cleaner concentrate from Pinnaclewax ( a forum sponsor )

The Sonax is acid free and once applied starts to turn red as it attacks and liquifies the brake dust, so you can see it working.

you can simply spray leave for a few minutes and powerwash off, although I prefer a little agitation with a 2" paintbrush, for a shiny / sparkly good as new look
I believe the Pinnaclewax product has all the same properties and is as good although I can't speak from personal experience.

Hope it helps some....
Hi Jim

I've not been looking out for stuff like that but i'll get some, as soon as I find some.

So many thanks

Old 04-04-2014, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by POSracing
I agree with what was said earlier that you will have to unmount the old tire first and send it out to be refurbished. When you get them back painted we used to do the following; use very soapy water (mild soap though) around the beads, and push the first half of the tire on. Cut some pieces of radiator hose to fit over the claws on the mounting machine, and get those plastic rings that protect rim lips in shipping.. Put the ring on the lip and use more soapy water and turn the second bead on. Remove plastic ring, rinse and dry completely. Inspect and touch-up any spots, then inflate to seat the bead. After that you can make your way to the nearest concours
That sounds a great idea to me!

Many Thanks

Old 04-04-2014, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AllanG
Yep tyres off for true refurbishment, on if you just want to clean and polish.

If you want a slightly bigger wheel but still stay 'original', Jag offered the lattice wheel in a 16" option for a while I believe. This would give you better handling and choice of tyres while staying true to the brand Speedo differences would not be an issue with the correct profile tyres.
Since I have lots of 15inch Lattice Alloys, I think it best if I stay with that size.

Thanks for the idea though

Old 04-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by nosox
when I had mine powder coated (many yrs ago now) I tried the brake dust shields.... could not stop them making noise. Well, water under the bridge now just my 2c
I've got brake dust shields and when I went to take the wheels off, I had to hit the Tires with a sledge hammer to get them off as they were stuck fast for some reason.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:52 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

ya, stuck rims are common. when you reinstall, a touch of grease or antiseize on the mating faces will make you happier next time they need to come off. You can imagine the stress if you have that issue out on the road.

orangeblossom (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by nosox
ya, stuck rims are common. when you reinstall, a touch of grease or antiseize on the mating faces will make you happier next time they need to come off. You can imagine the stress if you have that issue out on the road.
Funny you should say that! I didn't know about stuck rims, so when I got the wheel nuts off, I was kicking hell out of the Tires and they just wouldn't budge!

I literally had to hit the rubber with a big sledge hammer to get them off!

If that happens on a roadway, that would be a disaster!