XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Leather conditioner

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 843 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry007
Paul ,I should have listened to you !My seats are so sticky its embarrassing .I'm going to take your advice and get a protection" cream from furniture clinic.

Thank you.
Terry

Terry, I am/was a big fan of Leatherique so don't be embarrassed. This is just a really complex subject because the finishes on leather have changed dramatically. There can be year to year differences in how the leather was finished and what product will work.

My XJS has Autolux leather because it was a special edition, and it's more old school, but there have been big changes in leather finishes since then. I wouldn't use it on a newer car, but Leatherique is a great product for more classic cars. It's a 50 year old product and it works for the right kinds of leather. It all depends on exactly how the leather was processed and finished.

The company Paul mentioned (which started in the UK, but has a US subsidiary now) is the only one of many leather care and dye companies that I've researched or talked to that seems to understand that there isn't a single solution product. It's worth contacting them and discussing your exact needs or finding out exactly how your leather was finished and selecting the right products.

Now regarding your "sticky" issue, if you also purchased the Pristine Clean product from Leatherique it will remove the sticky residue. The fact that you have a sticky residue may be a sign that your topcoat is sufficiently worn down that the Rejuvenator Oil was able to permeate enough into the subsurface that it is lifting dirt and contaminants to the surface. That may require renewing topcoat or some other measures, but I would recommend you contact Furniture Clinic and ask what would be the best next steps for you.