XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Left hand door won't open from the outside

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 02:20 PM
Received 178 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Left hand door won't open from the outside

My 1987 XJ-S is now suffering from this problem. I know it's been posted about before, but those are a bit stale and I'm starting to feel a bit desperate about it.

In a nutshell, when I pull up on the door handle (left hand), there is no resistance. I can open it from the inside.

I've taken the inside of the door off, and find that it still seems nearly impossible to work on anything. Can the door handle assembly be taken off, or must it all be done while it's still mounted to the door?

Thanks,

John
1987 XJ-S V12

Old 01-06-2017, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,413 Likes on 5,516 Posts

There is a short rod with a threaded adjuster at its bottom end, that connects the outside door handle to the shutting/locking mechanism. This may have gone out of adjustment, its retaining catch failed, dropped out of its slot, or even the bit it goes into on the handle might have broken off.
It is just, just, possible to work on it with the glass in place, but honestly removing the glass so you can get at everything is the best way and may be the only way to fix it.
Removing the glass is also horrible, you start by removing the motor/winder mechanism, then you have the unscrew the rear slider track, then wriggle the glass out of the door top.
Greg

Old 01-10-2017, 03:54 PM

Thanks Greg for that cheery news :-)

I've decided to hand this one over to the local Jag shop. They seem quite familiar with the issue, and tell me they can readily get the part(s).

Time will tell...

Thanks again,

John
1987 XJ-S V12

Old 01-16-2017, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Keep in mind it could run you a bit more than adjusting some linkages. Mine was broken when I got it, and while I've dealt with adjusting those rods and replacing the bushes a few other times, the first time the issue was that the metal piece on the handle itself that connects to the rod had sheared off. I had to a entire replacement door handle.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:19 PM

Just a follow up. For $450, the local Jag shop got the part, replaced it, and all is now well.

After they showed me what was broken, I don't feel bad about having them take care of it. There is an "arm" just behind the door handle that broke, it was made of cheap pot metal. I felt better that it just wasn't some clip that fell out.

Since I bought this car from them it's not been back to them once in four years, so I guess the had to get their piece of flesh eventually :-)

Thanks,

John
1987 XJ-S V12

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (01-17-2017)