XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

A little XJS-LS tidbit for you.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by that guy
It is also being predicted that a child born today will never get the opportunity to "drive" a car in the future.

something i found out about my personal family!

my grandfather NEVER drove a car in his life, my father drove from the time he was 16years old! go figure?

Old 04-05-2017, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by that guy
It is also being predicted that a child born today will never get the opportunity to "drive" a car in the future.

thinking about driving a car , back 2 or 3 generations, hardly anyone drove a car either!

The following users liked this post:
that guy (04-06-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,167 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by Daim
Although the "downsizing" craze, which we Europeans have been suffering from the last decade, is coming to an end... Instead, modular engines are coming...

A fix displacement of 0.5l/cylinder and simply adding or removing a cylinder.

BMW has a family of 3-, 4- and 6-cylinder engines which share the entire common structure (bore/stroke, head shape, valve number, exhaust and intake port diameter etc.).

Mercedes is now starting a modular engine. They are dumping the V6 engines and returning to the I6 versions. All with 0.5l//cylinder.

Volvo had that setup around 20 years ago... 4 cylinder with 1.8-2.0l, 5 cylinder with 2.0-2.5l and a 6 cylinder with 2.5-3.0l. Most common were the 2.0l, 2.5l and 3.0l. All designed by Porsche engineering (yes, you read right, Volvo used a Porsche consultant for their engines ).

Jaguar is going the same route. I guess we will be seeing a smaller 3 cylinder ingenium engine sometime soon. Either for the XE or maybe a smaller XD or so... The smaller "compact" segment is something Jaguar should be looking into. Kind of like the BMW 1 series (which also has the possibility of a 3 cylinder engine).
Shows just how far ahead of the curve GM were with their two stroke Detroit Diesel range back in the 1940's.

ronbros (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 09:04 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 362 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Where did my thread go???

Ah, the beauty of the conversation. This thread started to show an interesting GM LS conversion install in an XJS coupe. It has since taken off through the Aston connection, V12's in general, Ford, Tata, the disappointment of the XJ220's V6, diesels, Buick Turbos, and several other routes.....

You never know where these things are going to go, no???

Anyway, good discussion and I hope it's ok if I share some other interesting Jag projects our customers do...

Andrew
www.JaguarSpecialties.com

The following 3 users liked this post by JaguarSpecialties:
Greg in France (04-06-2017), ronbros (04-06-2017), that guy (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

self driving and electric by 2030 in Germany...
https://electrek.co/2016/06/14/all-n...-germany-2030/

Old 04-06-2017, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Andrew:

Oh heck yes, more than OK by me and I expect by most here. A free wheeling forum and all stuff of interest.

I even post on my Passat misadventures. Disassembly done. Put in new parts phase begins. It's six spark in deep wells, ala Chrysler hemi. A bit of ingenuity and tool needed. Brag a bit. I've both!!

Jeep up on ramps. In the tank pump to replace. Can't get the siphon idea to remove about 3/4 of a tank of fuel. Some sort of anti-siphon block to overcome. I'll fiond a way.

Ha, each makes Jaguars easy to fix, lumped or otherwise!

Oh, three cars here. Two do not run, one does, the Jaguar.

Rain on the way, day off for me. Perhaps. But, the Passat is in the garage.

Carl

ronbros (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member

thanks for mention of the FAMOUS GMC/Detroit Diesel 2 stroke Diesel engines!

talk about modular engines, that fit many applications! i worked and overhauled 100s of them for about 30yrs.

like there inline 6 cylinder (6-71 model).

they can be arrainged in almost any configuration ,

like the block can be used with either end ,front to rear, turn the block around rear to front ,all components can be mounted at either end, crankshaft can be mounted in block either end, seal assembly, either end of block, along with housing,etc.

cylinder head ,again turned around and bolts right on block, that gives you the exhaust either side of engine! cylinder heads on some could be interchanged with some on V engines along the inline engines!

reverse rotation change cam and it will fit either side of block.

so many configurations.

NOW this is where GM out did the world.

the 2 stroke GMC , came in a 2cylinder inline, 3 cylinder I/L, 4 cylinder I/L, 6 cylinder I/L, V6 , V8, V12, V16 cylinders.

most internal parts where interchangable , like rods and pistons, valves and springs,cam followers, push rods, rocker arms, most all bolts and nuts, fuel injectors, across the line,etc.

also came with a Rootes blower, and turbocharged/intercooler.

all inline engines had a balance shaft to smooth out vibrations.

and tuning i was able to tune each cylinder seperatly.

they came in 2 valve or 4 valve.

it is said its the engine that WON WW2, you name a machine ,boat, truck, tank, generator power unit, water pump systems,etc, list is endless!

the best rumor was they were IDIOT proof, many guys would take parts from other engines ,and make run, and put out on the front lines, to fight again!

did i mention they would run for hours, with out coolant,(light load), because they were 50% oil cooled! military tested, with huge oil radiators, tanks.

baxtor (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member

odd how life changes, Penske bought Detroit Diesel from GM/ Allison, mid 80s.

sold of the Patent rights to China, along with much machinery!

company then was updated to a new engine,60 series, great 4 stroke engines!

but why would China buy old Patents for an obsolete engine, simple you correct its minor faults, and sell them around the world, but not in USA!

Old 04-06-2017, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member

sorry we drifted of TOPIC, more useless knowledge.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,167 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbros
sorry we drifted of TOPIC, more useless knowledge.
No such thing as "useless knowledge"

The following 2 users liked this post by baxtor:
Daim (04-07-2017), Doug (04-07-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 01:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by JaguarSpecialties
Anyway, good discussion and I hope it's ok if I share some other interesting Jag projects our customers do...

Andrew
Jaguar Specialties

I say YEP go for it. Always interested in what people are doing.

My first Jag when I was 23 was an XJ6 S1 with a 350 SBC and my latest is an XJS V12. I just love cars.

The following 2 users liked this post by warrjon:
Daim (04-07-2017), ronbros (04-07-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by warrjon
I say YEP go for it. Always interested in what people are doing.

My first Jag when I was 23 was an XJ6 S1 with a 350 SBC and my latest is an XJS V12. I just love cars.
+1 from here!

I'm not going to LUMP my XJ-S but I find it interesting to see what others have done

ronbros (04-07-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member

to add to Detroit 2 stroke diesel engine , inline 6, they actually made some called "pancake engines", they layed the in line 6 over on its side, and made up oil pan and what ever was needed.

they used them in some railroad cars , mounted in the middle,some time two engines.

another way of making the most from what you have already!

and these 2 stroke Diesels were 1st designed in 1934, used all the way till Penske took over !

Now dont think he was wrong,times change and so do emission rules.

the new(now old) 60 series are magnificent units, they come with a factory 1 million mile warranty!

and they can diagnose and retune the engine by satilite, while you are driving!

Old 04-09-2017, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

love the GM LS engines!

a company in US has built an LS and rev it to almost 11,000 rpm!

a pushrod motor 2 valve, move over 4 cams and 4 valves!

Old 04-09-2017, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Regarding two stroke diesels, Ron, there are two really special 'modular' applications I really like...

Commer 'Knocker' (TS3) and the Napier 'Deltic'. The Knocker working by the same principle as the Delti... Two pistons, one cylinder.

The Deltic was too big for automotive use, but was in 1955, as it was launched, in the Class 55 diesel-electric locos. It was then the most powerful diesel locos and it took something like 50 years before a more powerful single unit locos was built. 18 cylinders, 3 crankshafts, 36 pistons. All arranged in a triangular layout. And then the sound it made... Beautiful!

The Knocker was a single bank 3 cylinder, 6 piston, 1 crank engine built for heavy trucks. Oh and my god, that engine was powerful! Attach a Rootes blower and it will just beat any same size turbo diesel of the day. And then again, it sounds awesome!

As I said in that diesel V12 thread... I don't hate diesels, I just like a certain type of them

ronbros (04-09-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 04:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, Andrew!

I sometimes see ads for XJS cars where someone already did a conversion to a Chevrolet 350 or another older GM engine (and many of these cars don't seem to be in great shape despite the supposed reliability that comes with the conversion).

How hard is it to convert a car that was done with, say, a SunCoast or John's Cars kit to a LS engine? Have you had customers who did that?

Old 04-09-2017, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member

daim, have been familer with those 2 stroke diesels, most were originally of German design, and copied over by GB/UK after the big War!

the thing that seperates them from the GM/Detroit 2 stroke was the ease of modular construction of the Gm units, and being able to make many replacement parts, that fit a multitude of the engine series!

as we speak there is small company that is making new versions of the OPPOSED Piston engine,3 cylinders/6 pistons, seen one running at Air show Oshkosh WI.

for light aircraft, light weight, time will tell , its still money dependent now!

Porsche is Opposed cylinders, VS Opposed piston!

op/pis for instance , with a 1 1/2" stroke equals torque of 3", or say a 3" stroke equals a 6" stroke torque!
very kool idea!,, also port timing can be altered while running(something like VVT,back 80yrs ago).

Old 04-09-2017, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Eric Cantonese
Hi, Andrew!

I sometimes see ads for XJS cars where someone already did a conversion to a Chevrolet 350 or another older GM engine (and many of these cars don't seem to be in great shape despite the supposed reliability that comes with the conversion).

How hard is it to convert a car that was done with, say, a SunCoast or John's Cars kit to a LS engine? Have you had customers who did that?

should be easy! both engines use the common rear block bolt patterns!

of interest that pattern was design in 1955 for Chevy V8.

and today is used by All NASCAR engine brands, GM, Ford, Toyota, Mopar.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:53 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 362 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Older Jag-Chevy Conversions to LS

Actually, while maybe the bolt pattern on the back of the block is similar (not the same exactly, but similar) the rest of the conversion is very different. Engine and trans mounts are completely different and on the transmission end, we really want instead to go with a full electronic transmission and not stay with an early (SBC based unit- even if it is a late SBC-Based all electronic transmission- they are also physically different). When doing this- an LS conversion- one should use a matched set: LS engine and LS-based transmission complete with matched wiring and controller- that's the easiest way. The rest of the conversion has differences too. We use modern plastic tank/aluminum core (LS style) radiators, different than most earlier conversions and (at least) the front 1/3 of the exhaust would need to be redone to mate to the (correct to fit the Jag chassis) LS exhaust manifolds. And there are many other changes as well....

The point really is that a prospective buyer of an already converted Jaguar shouldn't assume that much from an earlier conversion would transfer over to an LS installation........

I hope that helps

Andrew
Jaguar Specialties

The following 2 users liked this post by JaguarSpecialties:
Eric Cantonese (04-10-2017), ronbros (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 09:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think any information that helps someone get a better idea of the potential budget needed to rescue or modernize a project car is always helpful. Thank you, Andrew.

Originally Posted by JaguarSpecialties
Actually, while maybe the bolt pattern on the back of the block is similar (not the same exactly, but similar) the rest of the conversion is very different. Engine and trans mounts are completely different and on the transmission end, we really want instead to go with a full electronic transmission and not stay with an early (SBC based unit- even if it is a late SBC-Based all electronic transmission- they are also physically different). When doing this- an LS conversion- one should use a matched set: LS engine and LS-based transmission complete with matched wiring and controller- that's the easiest way. The rest of the conversion has differences too. We use modern plastic tank/aluminum core (LS style) radiators, different than most earlier conversions and (at least) the front 1/3 of the exhaust would need to be redone to mate to the (correct to fit the Jag chassis) LS exhaust manifolds. And there are many other changes as well....

The point really is that a prospective buyer of an already converted Jaguar shouldn't assume that much from an earlier conversion would transfer over to an LS installation........

I hope that helps

Andrew
Jaguar Specialties

ronbros (04-10-2017)