XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Locked Out of 96' XJS

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2023, 10:48 PM
Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Locked Out of 96' XJS

WOW!! This was a surprise tonight. The weather was Spring-like today where I live. So I thought I would take her for a drive with the top down. i stopped at a diner for dinner. Before entering the diner, I put my small carry on bag in the trunk and locked the doors and trunk - manually - by turning the key to the left from the driver's door. (The battery in my original remote is dead and needs replaced. Will do tomorrow) I've done this many times before without issue. But when I left the diner, to manually unlock the doors and trunk, - no response from turning the key right to open. No opening sound, no nothing. Fortunately, the top was down, and I was able to "climb" in the driver's seat. Started right up and drove her home. Once in the garage, I shut her down and tried to open the door. Would not open. So I climbed out of the car.
So now I'm here begging for help. LOL What do I need to do ? Locking/unlocking from the driver's door has always worked fine. Thanks for any help.

Rick

Old 11-07-2023, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 385 Posts

Have you tried unlocking from the passenger side, from inside the door and with the key ? The trunk has a 3 position lock. 1 is locked , 2 is remote entry and 3 is open. I'm not sure if full left is rempote or unlock. try all 3 positions.

Old 11-07-2023, 02:37 PM

This is so embarrassing. Since the top was down, I didn't even think to try and unlock from "inside" both doors. Forgot about this. So I just now tried that and voila !! both doors are open, and seem to work fine in the manual mode now. But the trunk was still locked. So I tried unlocking the trunk - with the valet key. No luck till I remembered the trunk can't be opened with the valet key. So I tried the "regular" key and again voila !! Opened right up. So I was able to fetch my bag and plug in the battery tender. So now, I think I'm back in business. Bought a new A23 battery for the old original remote. But I'm a bit scared to try it out. LOL
Keep your fingers crossed for me. Will report back. DARN. At 73 I just seem less sharp than I used to be. LOL

Rick

Old 11-08-2023, 08:12 AM

With the new battery, the old remote now works. Originally, I tried opening the passenger door with the key from the outside. And it opened only that door only. But a few back and forth, lock and unlock exercises from inside the driver's door seemed to have reset everything. So everything seems to by working again in all modes. Hmmm. Don't really understand what happened. Good thing the top was down so I wasn't stuck at the parking lot. LOL
I'm thinking it would be wise to get a pair of newer style remotes, as it seems the buttons on the old remotes tend to break.
Thanks again Malc for your response. Much appreciated.

Rick

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (11-08-2023)