XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Long time return

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2023, 06:35 PM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Long time return

Hi all,
It has been some time since i was last on here but have mostly resolved the issues with my 87 XJS and should be able to get her ont he road again soon. Last major issue is the AC. You cannot drive these cars in Virginia in the summer without it. LOL
Quite unexpectedly last weekend I came across another car, an '89 XJS BRG coupe with biscuit leather interior. An elderly couple has had it since 6000 miles (now has 73K) but is time for it to go. The car has sat for a very long time although in a clean, well ventilated garage. The wife really wanted it gone.
The good news: Car is all there and in wonderful shape bdy, paint, chrome and leather - although dry. No rust. The engine turns over. All the electronics work.
The bad news: The car has sat for a very long time, they are not even really sure when it was last on the road. Tires were nearly flat.
With all that I bought it for a reasonable price knowing it is goiing to take a lot of work to make it roadworthy again.
The plan: Phase 1
1. trailer it home to a friends with a lift
2. drain all fluids; oil, coolant, trans, gas, brakes, differential
3. Replace all filters including main gas and swirl tank sock filter, and refill with new fluids
4. Pull radiator and clean between rad and oil cooler
5. new front shocks
6. new belts
7. new main fan
8. new tires and wheel alignment
9. new ceramic brake pads, service brake calipers
10. new plugs and 8mm wires and rotor cap w/rotor. Service main shaft lubrication. lubricate centrifugal advance

Other recommendations??

Phase 2 will be primarily appearance: cleaning, hydrating the leather, replacing the ski slope.

Phase 3 will be (unless the car dictates otherwise) performance and driving reliability: new catalytic converters; mufflers, elimination of the resonators;

Thanks

The following 2 users liked this post by BradsCat:
Greg in France (06-16-2023), Mkii250 (06-22-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 438 Posts

Replace all of the fuel injection hoses in the engine compartment. Sitting that long, combined with age, the hoses are likely all hard and cracked. The injectors will also likely be stuck, so send them out for service/cleaning.
I'd bet the heater valve will also be stuck, so also prepare to replace it.
The distributor will likely be a Marelli, so be sure to get the correct cap and rotor. Do the distributor shaft mod and rotor mod as described in Kirby Palm's BOOK.

Last edited by jal1234; 06-15-2023 at 07:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (06-16-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 06:07 PM

Thanks very much for the reply. I should have been more detailed as you are absolutely correct about replacing the fuel hose lines under the hood (and on the send/return lines over the rear axle cage)
Car is Lucas so no Marelli system but will require new plugs, 8 mm wires, cap and rotor AND shaft and centrifugal advance lubrication.
Good catch on the heater control valve and fuel injectors. Thanks.
Ideally I'd take the air injection system off but I don't have a European plug kit handy so it will have to stay...for the time being.
I have a complete set or replacement tires and Dayton wire spoke wheels ready for it I just really like the look. I have them on my '87.

Ordered more parts from Welsh today including 12 piece hose replacement kit, new t-stats, rad & expansion tank caps.

Anyone know of a good vendor for a ski slope replacement in Elm wood?

The following users liked this post:
Mkii250 (06-22-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 01:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,413 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Brad
If you contact Andy Harvey at Just XJS, I am sure he would have the pulley etc that you need, fairly priced.

Old 06-18-2023, 11:06 AM

Greg,
As always thanks!! I will do that.
Yesterday a friend, also has a XJS, (very nice red '91 Collection series that he is converting to a 5 speed) came by to help with getting my '87 back together. Wiper motor is now reinstalled and new AAV along with new throttle shaft bushings in place. Next up for today are the right front headlights and the sump tank.
Does anyone know the correct ANCO or TriCo part number for the wiper blade refills?

PS...that same friend by coincidence is going to England on business next month. I am going to have him get me a set of the air injection port plugs.
I can't remember the name of the company/contact info I got the last set from. It has been 5-6 years. I think you pointed me in the right direction.
I personally like the air injection rails removed. It cleans the appearance up a bit IMO. And it is one less belt dragging on the engine.

Finally, everyone send Sanchez in FL Get Well Quick wishes......he had a nasty accident at home last weekend and is just getting home from the hospital today.

The following 2 users liked this post by BradsCat:
Greg in France (06-18-2023), Mkii250 (06-22-2023)