XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Look what I found in the garage!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,812 Likes on 2,639 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
I AGREE 100%.

Just the fact it is possible does not mean it is viable.

We have NO such testing anywhere down here, so as long it is using what another model of the same car used, no issues.

In my state, the "lumping" is a nightmare, to be polite, when attempting to get it thru that particular testing area, but other states are more liberal.

Even wheel spacers are NOT allowed where I live. A lot of guys have them, and are on the edge with the law.
Hi Grant@Greg in France@PJTS

Thanks for your Invaluable help Guys.

Retro fitting non ABS may not be the way to go at the moment, if it took you 10 hours it would probably take 'me' forever and what you are saying makes sense Paul.

If you get an awkward Tester and I've met a few of those, once it goes down on the 'Fail Sheet' then you probably won't have very much choice but to have to fit it with ABS all over again!

Anyway now for the 'Good News!' The ABS Actuator assembly, is all now unbolted and ready to come out!

On the way to managing to get it to this stage, the hardest job was in removing the polythene reservoir.

Once I'd undone the Cup bolt with a number 4 Allen Key, the blinking thing just refused to come off its rubber mountings, so much so I was scared of damaging something.

So in the end I didn't take it off, which turned out to be a very good thing because regardless of what any manual says (not that I have got one) In practice it is easier make that 200% easier to leave it bolted on!

Taking out the retaining bolts, was a piece of Cake!

But the one at the bottom in between the Reservoir and the Inner Wing, needed a 'Wobbly Thingy' in between the extension Bar and the Socket.

The bolt underneath the Bonnet/Hood Catch, was also very easy to get out, thanks to that Wonderful 'Tip' from 'Greg In France'

Undoing the Brake Pipes and the Plugs was also very easy.

In fact as a 'non mechanic', who suffers from 'Manualfobia' the whole thing was an absolute 'Walk in the Park'

Easy peasy lemon squeezy so far and would have been even easier has I never attempted to remove the 'Reservoir'

But now I've come to the 'Tricky Bit' which is lifting the whole assembly out of the Car, where the Brake Pedal assembly, seems to want to prevent it from being lifted out all in one piece.

Mind you I haven't tried that hard at the moment, I've just stopped for a nice Cup of Tea and a Biccy, in order to Psyche myself up.

Should I be unbolting anything from under the 'dash' as I am a little bit paranoid that I might break the brake light switch or mess something up.

Anymore 'Tips' would be handy in order to overcome this.

Thanks Again Guys

OB

The following users liked this post:
paulyling (04-12-2015)
Old 04-12-2015, 08:05 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
We have NO such testing anywhere down here, so as long it is using what another model of the same car used, no issues.

In my state, the "lumping" is a nightmare, to be polite, when attempting to get it thru that particular testing area, but other states are more liberal.

Even wheel spacers are NOT allowed where I live. A lot of guys have them, and are on the edge with the law.
Lumping in Qld takes all sorts of engineers certificates and modification plates,not a road I would want to go down. Buy one already lumped and registered is the way to go. No MOT checks here,just random roadside inspections.
Years ago I ran 295's on the rear and 265's on the front of my Falcon coupe, got a defect notice from a roadside inspection so I borrowed a mates biscuit wheels off his stock sedan and went for the Queensland Transport inspection to get back on the road......I had to remove chrome rocker covers and chrome dipstick tube and every other mod to get it on the road again.(there were lots of them)
Lucky I held onto all the original bits just in case,had to go through that 3 times in 2 years. These days,being older and wiser I keep the mods simple and out of sight so I get waved by roadside inspections. It is a whole lot less hassle.
Look what I found in the garage!-hardtop.jpg

Sorry

The following 2 users liked this post by o1xjr:
orangeblossom (04-12-2015), paulyling (04-12-2015)
Old 04-12-2015, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,330 Likes on 5,475 Posts

OB

The brake pedal box casting is a the big aluminium affair with four bolts, one at each corner, that bolt into captive nuts in the body. Look in the footwell and disconnect the brake light leads if on your model, they are connected to the pedal box.

Once done, but of course your ABS car may be different, the brake pedal and casting lifts out upwards as a unit. You may, repeat may, be able to disconnect the ABS unit on its own from the actuating rod or lever that pivots on the top fulcrum of the box casting in the engine bay and exits the box casting to actuate the ABS unit.

Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 04-12-2015 at 09:11 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
orangeblossom (04-12-2015), paulyling (04-12-2015)
Old 04-12-2015, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
OB

The brake pedal box casting is a the big aluminium affair with four bolts, one at each corner, that bolt into captive nuts in the body. Look in the footwell and disconnect the brake light leads if on your model, they are connected to the pedal box.

Once done, but of course your ABS car may be different, the brake pedal and casting lifts out upwards as a unit. You may, repeat may, be able to disconnect the ABS unit on its own from the actuating rod or lever that pivots on the top fulcrum of the box casting in the engine bay and exits the box casting to actuate the ABS unit.

Greg
Job done She is Out!

The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Grant Francis (04-13-2015), paulyling (04-12-2015)
Old 04-12-2015, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Default More Tea Vicar?

Hi Greg in France@Grant 'The Wizard'Francis@Paul PJTS

Job done!

The Actuator came out all in one piece, the Secret if there is one, is not to try and remove the Polythene Reservoir, at least until the whole thing is out of the Car.

So having put the Cup Bolt back that I had to undo by using a No4 Allen Key, this then gave me something, which I could hold on to in order to jiggle it about until the Brake Pedal was finally clear of the hole.

Again about as easy as falling off a log, no problem at all.

So what do I do next?

As on the side of the Actuator there is a plate held on by 4 bolts with another 2 in the middle, that look as though they have been put there with 'Locktight'

So I'm thinking that it is the other 4 bolts that I have to undo on the side of this plate.

But before I do, it looks like it needs a good clean up on the outside.

This bolt is much easier to get at than it looks, as long as you go underneath the Brake Pipe and use a 'Wobbly' in between the Socket and the Extension.

Name:  ABS%20009_zpsz89xudjn.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  146.4 KB

Thanks to that 'Tip' from Greg in France, if you engage the bonnet/hood latch, while the Bonnet/Hood is up in the Air, you can easily get to this bolt, which to start with looked pretty impossible to get a spanner onto.

And there She was gone!

Name:  ABS%20011_zpsugeixvlt.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  564.8 KB

With The ABS Actuator finally out of the Car, I am going to give it a really good Clean, while awaiting further Instructions as to what to do next.

Name:  ABS%20012_zpsbmay73th.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  521.1 KB

The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Grant Francis (04-13-2015), Gunner01 (04-13-2015)