XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Looking at a 1995 XJS Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,844 Likes on 2,661 Posts

Hi Eric

A couple of things to look out for:

The Fuel Pump is in the Top of the Fuel Tank and the Tank is under the Bodywork, so in the event that the Fuel Pump packs up. (nothing lasts forever) the Fuel Tank will need to come out to replace the pump.

Which means removing the Steel Baffle Plate, that is in front of the Tank and in order to do that you have to take everything out of the Boot/Trunk and that includes the battery holder and the Hood Hydraulics, unless you can somehow manage to tie them up out of the way, plus all the Trim etc.

Then you need to remove the Fuel Lines (special tool required) unless you want to struggle as this has to be done from underneath the Car, where the Fuel Line connections are difficult to reach, hence the need for the special tool (although you can make one)

It's an absolute PIA of a job! unless you're a good mechanic and I was quoted a Fortune, for a garage to do it on mine and you may as well replace the Sender unit, while you've got the Baffle Plate out.

You may be lucky and have years of happy motoring but the Fuel Pump and the Tank can get rusty inside in certain Climates and trying to find a New Tank is pretty much impossible, so you might need to have it cleaned, plus a new Fuel Pump and Sender Unit.

Also when you lower the Soft Top, there is a tendency for the Soft Top Hood, to rub on the back of the Seats, so you kind of have to take care when you lower it down, using your hand to keep the material out of the way.

On the Plus side you've got the hard to find Celebration Model, which is the one that is likely to increase in value.

So best factor in £500 UK equiv, in case the Fuel Pump may need replacing, most of which will be down to labour charges, unless you do it yourself.

The real 'Deal Breaker' however, is a Faulty ABS Brake System, where spare parts to fix it would be almost impossible to come by in your part of the World, or anywhere for that matter.

Make sure the ABS light comes on, when you turn the ignition on (don't buy into 'it probably needs a new bulb') and make sure it goes off when the engine is running.

When Braking Gently the Brakes may seem to be working fine but the Real Test is to 'Jab' them hard, at about 30 mph and see if the Car starts to dive to the left or the right (most likely to the right)

If any of that happens then you've got a problem, the only good news being that it makes the Car pretty much unsellable, so you might be able to nail it for a Bargain Price. (Its very hard to walk away from a Celebration Convertible) seeing as they are so hard to come by and almost anything can be fixed at a price.

As for the 'Red' one, what are those 'Chrome Wheel Arches' hiding, could be lots of rust underneath, so I would really want to carefully check that one over and the ABS on these Cars, is even more likely to give a problem as the ABS unit fitted to these, is the earlier version.

But the Fuel Pump is much easier to replace.

Last edited by orangeblossom; 02-13-2016 at 12:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
ericjansen (02-13-2016), Greg in France (02-13-2016)
Old 02-13-2016, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,354 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Eric

A couple of things to look out for
As if my problems were not big enough already haha ..

You might have read that the car does not have a license, and therefore needs a full approval test, including passing Euro 4 emissions.

I opened an other thread on that subject, but it seems that technically I have very little cheat-options, and the car will simply not pass on any of the emission requirements.
I have a meeting with a company next week which import cars, but frankly I don't think they can ''arrange'' this as well, quanxi (=relations) has worn thin here on the island for these matters.

If so, that leaves me with only the red V12, which by the way has an official license (or so they say).
I am however not sure I want to go that path.
Besides all technical issues which might arrise, the additional monthly taxes will prevent me having it as a 3rd car.
I am not sure I want to sell my Vanden Plas (or the wives SLK) for it.

Thanks for the heads-up though, much appreciated!

E.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (02-14-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Eric

This is what the inside of the Tank of a 95 Celebration Convertible can get like and the pump was as rusty as hell so no wonder it failed, so as you cannot see in the fuel tank to check you have to roll the dice and hope that its going to be ok and won't be causing a problem any time soon.

Its an absolute pain of a job to sort out and very expensive for a Garage/Shop to fix.

Name:  FuelTank016_zpseb84b2bc.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  56.8 KB

Old 02-14-2016, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe this can help sort out the Emissions problem with your XJS

emissions - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum - Threads Tagged with emissions

Old 02-14-2016, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
This is what the inside of the Tank of a 95 Celebration Convertible can get like
How you solve that? take out, clean and coat?
Tanks are always a problem for 2nd hand cars in this country, as dealers leave fuel levels below minimum, and the climate is hot and humid.
This is indeed one of the gambles, especially on a 30 year old car.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ericjansen
How you solve that? take out, clean and coat?
Tanks are always a problem for 2nd hand cars in this country, as dealers leave fuel levels below minimum, and the climate is hot and humid.
This is indeed one of the gambles, especially on a 30 year old car.
Hi Eric

Coating is not recommended, so I had to dissolve the rust with 10 gallons of Vinegar and then keep moving the Tank around every couple of weeks.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member
Default Project dead.

Just to thank you guys for all the positive input in this thread.

Unfortunately, it is not going to work with all the emission issues, so I decided to stop pursuing it.

One never knows how crow fly (just bought my neighbor's apartment after 2 failed attempts over 2 year period), and a XJS remains on my list, but for now I will stay with my XJ8.

Thanks again!

Eric

Old 03-08-2016, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Default The Saga continious ...

Well, I finally managed to have a look at the red V12.

A 1989 according the import papers, and in Taiwan since 1994, with 65.000mls, and including the much needed license plate.
Was too well dressed to dug really under the car, but no pools of liquid, and seems a hard body, except the driver floor.
Technical state 7/10, but engine super smooth on idle.

Seriously considerable, will open a new thread if full inspection & test-drive is successful next week.
And yes ... that leaper is the first thing to go ...

Name:  21210089724231_412.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  120.6 KB

Last edited by ericjansen; 03-08-2016 at 09:03 PM. Reason: KM / Mileage confusion on my side
Old 03-08-2016, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by ericjansen
Well, I finally managed to have a look at the red V12. A 1989 according the import papers, and in Taiwan since 1994, with just 65.000km (40.000mls), and including the much needed license plate. Was too well dressed to dug really under the car, but no pools of liquid, and seems a hard body, except the driver floor. Technical state 7/10, but engine super smooth on idle. Seriously considerable, will open a new thread if full inspection & test-drive is successful next week. And yes ... that leaper is the first thing to go ...
Hopefully the dreaded fender trim will be the second! Be sure to check if someone drilled those in and weather the paint is ruined underneath or rusted.

orangeblossom (03-09-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

AW!!!

The leaper, even if an add on just seems right. I grew up in the days when each critter had it's distinctive "hood ornament". I miss them.
As my XJ wuzza six has one, it is comforting. Now, if I could only find
one resembling the real little Jeep of the Pop Eye cartoon strip of olde....
Carl

Old 03-08-2016, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

Have you ever seen a "Leaper" on an e-type? I have, HORRID looking. Just because it's a Jaguar doesn't mean it looks right with a Leaper. (Gawd, fell into the Leaper vs no Leaper trap!)

orangeblossom (03-09-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JTsmks
Hopefully the dreaded fender trim will be the second! Be sure to check if someone drilled those in and weather the paint is ruined underneath or rusted.
I said the leaper was the FIRST thing .

Those fender trims seem to be nicely installed at least, and what's underneath, I have no clue ... and I am not going to remove them as part of the coming purchase check.
Anyway, if I should buy the car, a respray is on the list, and by that time those trims will reveal what they are hiding ...