XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Looking at buying a ‘95 V12 convertible

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Looking at buying a ‘95 V12 convertible

Greetings!

Someone I know plans to sell his ‘95 V12 convertible. It has just 10,000 miles. I haven’t seen it yet, but they tell me it’s just about flawless. They’ve kept it in storage without driving it, for the past ten years. They said before putting it in storage, they replaced all the hoses.

Over the years, I’ve owned five XJS’s and my last two were 4.0 liters. I’ve never owned a 6.0 liter, only 5.3’s. I’m excited about the idea of having a 6.0 liter for the first time and getting into a V12 again.

This car sounds amazing but I know it’s not good for a car to have sat un-driven for so long. four years ago, I bought an ‘87 Series III that hadn’t been driven for 20 years and I had to redo the air conditioning, belts, tires, hoses, fuel lines, spark plugs, front suspension, and complete fuel system.

I know the fuel tank will likely have rust and will have to be flushed. Since the hoses were replaced ten years ago, will they need to be replaced again? Assuming it was in tip-top condition ten years ago, what else will need to be done? I know all fluids will need replacing. What else? I’m not mechanically inclined, but my mechanic who works on my Series III and my X308 is super reasonable so I know whatever he does, he won’t gouge me on price.

I will appreciate any thoughts you may have. Thank you!

Old 08-30-2022, 10:37 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,562 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I hope he's extremely reasonable....for the v12s, it's not the cost of the parts, but the massive amounts of labor needed to access the parts....even simple tasks like spark plug changes take hours. The 4.0 engines have so much room to access things...v12s do not.

All fluids.

Hoses will need to be replaced again. They go bad over time, not miles.

If the engine hasn't been started in 10 years, you may need to get to each of the cylinders to prime with lubricant. Injectors may be clogged.

The following users liked this post:
XJDanny (08-31-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 02:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 996 Likes on 676 Posts

While it may take much time and considerable money to sort out, just think of the value once it is. It could be a collectible. Last generation V12, last model year of XJS V12 in US Spec, drop top, extremely low mileage, super rare. Dare I say it could hold its value to what you might have to invest in it. Especially with a modest purchase price now. A sure thing if a DIY minor restoration.

Ask your trusty mechanic what he thinks about you buying this V12 Jaguar. If his eyes bug out, I wouldn't do it. He might have the Urban Legends disease.

It is curable, by the way. Just dive right into it.

XJDanny (08-31-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 03:58 AM
Received 334 Likes on 201 Posts

↑ Nothing collectable about that car. Not even Jaguar wants anything to do with it.

Old 08-31-2022, 05:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,033 Likes on 2,015 Posts

Super-collectable car, wirh prices rising, particularly on this side of the pond. And suppliers are now entering into programmes to get certain parts remanufactured. Buy it.

Paul

XJDanny (08-31-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Vee
I hope he's extremely reasonable....for the v12s, it's not the cost of the parts, but the massive amounts of labor needed to access the parts....even simple tasks like spark plug changes take hours. The 4.0 engines have so much room to access things...v12s do not.
Thank you for the feedback, Vee. I hope he’s reasonable, too. He mentioned if I don’t buy it, he may put it on Bring a Trailer, so he may expect big money for it. I believe it’s pristine, but I also know it’ll take much sorting out and expense to make it right. I sure experienced that with my Series III, though that sat un-driven for longer.

Regarding a 4.0 liter instead of a V12, my last two XJS’s were 4.0 liters and I’m really wanting a V12 again for something different. I know they aren’t as easy. I haven’t fully made up my mind though. Maybe if the right 4.0 liter came along, I’d get that instead.

Originally Posted by SleekJag12
While it may take much time and considerable money to sort out, just think of the value once it is. It could be a collectible. Last generation V12, last model year of XJS V12 in US Spec, drop top, extremely low mileage, super rare. Dare I say it could hold its value to what you might have to invest in it. Especially with a modest purchase price now. A sure thing if a DIY minor restoration.

Ask your trusty mechanic what he thinks about you buying this V12 Jaguar. If his eyes bug out, I wouldn't do it. He might have the Urban Legends disease.

It is curable, by the way. Just dive right into it.
Thank you for your thoughts, SleekJag. I think it’ll become a collectible, too. I just don’t want to overpay and then have to dump a ton into bringing it back. That’s why I’m asking for the everyone’s thoughts on what it may need from sitting so long. I had many unpleasant surprises after I bought my Series III (frustrations but no regrets!) and I’m trying to do a little more research before I take the plunge this time.

I did talk to my mechanic about working on a V12. He is not afraid of it, in fact, he’s excited about the challenge. He’s an interesting guy and very capable. He never worked on a Jag before until he worked on my Series III and X308. Between help on the forums, YouTube, and the parts manuals, he’s has fixed everything beautifully. The internet has completely changed the challenges of owning an old car!

The following 2 users liked this post by XJDanny:
Greg in France (08-31-2022), Mkii250 (09-02-2022)
Old 09-01-2022, 12:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 996 Likes on 676 Posts

Agreed, the internet can be a lifesaver. Or a timewaster. Usually a bit of both!

Maybe your mechanic will inspect it for you before committing. You would have a better idea of the starting point. Or just do what you did with your Series III, that should take care of most of it. Get a new battery in it, change ALL fluids, check ignition components, prime the engine and crank it. The XJS has OBDI so that should help root out running issues.

The 6.0 is sublime. It is a great fit in the X305 XJ12 and suits the car very well. I suspect the same goes for the XJS. After all, it's a touring car.

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
↑ Nothing collectable about that car. Not even Jaguar wants anything to do with it.

XJDanny (09-01-2022)
Old 09-01-2022, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member

I believe the current owner will get it running again before I come to look at it. But I doubt he’ll change all the fluids before he sells it. I would certainly ask him to. Regarding changing all the fluids, the car is a couple hours drive from me. If he doesn’t change all the fluids, after I ensure they’re all topped off, do you think it’d be okay to drive it a couple hours before changing all the fluids? I certainly wouldn’t want to do anything to damage the car, but I wouldn’t be able to do any work to it until after I get it home.

Old 09-01-2022, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,033 Likes on 2,015 Posts

Danny,

If the owner doesn't know EXACTLY how to change the brake fluid on the car, don't let him do it!

The Teves ABS system is very unusual and the rear brakes need to bled in a very specific manner. If he's not really fully conversant with that system, it's much safer if you do it yourself once you get it home. We can help you through that.

Paul

XJDanny (09-01-2022)
Old 09-01-2022, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
Danny,

If the owner doesn't know EXACTLY how to change the brake fluid on the car, don't let him do it!

The Teves ABS system is very unusual and the rear brakes need to bled in a very specific manner. If he's not really fully conversant with that system, it's much safer if you do it yourself once you get it home. We can help you through that.

Paul
Paul,

Thank you for this helpful advice! I’ll be sure to discuss that with him.

danny

Old 09-01-2022, 07:05 PM
Received 369 Likes on 218 Posts

If it were me, which it isn't, I wouldn't want the seller to change any of the fluids. That way, when I change them, I know they actually got changed and what brand/spec went in. Unless your goal is to have a Top Gear style adventure I'd trailer the car home.

The following 2 users liked this post by garethashenden:
Greg in France (09-02-2022), XJDanny (09-01-2022)
Old 09-01-2022, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by garethashenden
If it were me, which it isn't, I wouldn't want the seller to change any of the fluids. That way, when I change them, I know they actually got changed and what brand/spec went in. Unless your goal is to have a Top Gear style adventure I'd trailer the car home.
Thanks, Garethashenden. I appreciate your input!