XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Looking at two XJS v-12s...new to Jags

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016 | 11:41 PM
|
Default Looking at two XJS v-12s...new to Jags

Hello,
I'm completely new to Jaguars but have always wanted one for a long time. I now have two XJS 12s in my area Im interested in buying one. Im hoping i can get some good advice on what to look for, problems, or what to stay away from. I'm mechanical and have rebuilt a few American v8s and recently rebuilt my 04 Vette that was bought being in a accident.
Anyways ones a 85 XJS 12. Seller says: "Selling a 1985 jaguar xls V-12. In good condition. Runs and drives could use a tune up. A bunch off new parts. Black with gray leather on inside. New tires."
Next one is a 84 XJS 12 HE The ad says; "ONLY 70,000 Original Miles

I have replaced or worked on the following..New Tires, Rotors, Pads, Restored and Sealed Fuel Tank, Battery, Fuel Filter, Fuel Pump, Air Filters, Shocks, Plugs, Wires, Cap, Rotor, Distributor, All New Injectors, Fuel Pressure Regulators and More.

Southern Car, Rust Free, Minor Roof Damage

Runs great at times, sometimes I have issues starting the car

Original Jaguar Radio, A/C, Power Windows and Power Mirrors All Work Great

I like the Black 85 better but I'm hoping to get some feedback on these cars from guys who know these cars. I'm gonna try to attach pics of both cars also. Thanks in advance for any info guys.....

84 XJS

84 XJS

84 XJS

85 XJS

85 XJS

85 XJS

PS The white 84 has 70,000 miles and the black 85 has 68,500.

Old 06-23-2016 | 12:04 AM
Veteran Member

In one of the sticky threads at the top of this section is a buyers guide that might be a good place to start and answer some of your questions....and probably raise a few more

A sorted XJS is a fabulous car. Typically they need a chunk of time and cash to make things right....and then enjoy! The fix for just about any fault you're likely to experience has already been hammered out. Tons of info and help out there.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Greg in France (06-23-2016), Vettes104 (06-23-2016)
Old 06-23-2016 | 12:58 AM

I'll throw in my $.02, you can see in my sig how many Jags I've owned.

I'm not as mechanically inclined as you are, although before my health took a hit a few years ago, I did crack open the engines on some old Mitsubishi Starions and could figure my way around the garage with a little help.

That "Southern car" description is huge, given I see a Wisconsin tag in there. I have owned two Jags (my 76 XJ12L, my 85 XJ6) that were eaten up with rust and corrosion. I would rather drive nails in my scalp than deal with that again. Not just because of the body, but what it does to systems. Fortunately the fuel tank is inside the car on an XJS rather than outboard like on those SI-SIII XJ sedans, but if you've got a corrosion problem anywhere, get ready to expand your profanity vocabulary. Brake lines, fuel lines, strut mounts and especially floorpans, they're all fair game.

My current XJS has about 155k on it now and is daily driven. I bought mine four years ago out of storage, via an estate sale, where it had been sitting for a couple of years. My other XJS was an 88 that had been wrecked. Both were rust-free cars that, after a modest amount of work, became very reliable. That 88 I used to have -- not kidding about this -- was the second-most reliable car I ever owned. It is possible, even with these cars.

Some things I would want if I buy another one:

* Functioning A/C controls. They don't work properly on either of my older Jags right now and it kills me. The control mechanisms are a bunch of Rube Goldberg machines with servos, gears, and a million other little pieces that corrode and fail, especially if the heater core ever leaked onto them. I'm dead serious when I say I'd rather deal with something mechanical than have to go through A/C control diagnosis.

* Cooling system. The factory radiators can build up a lot of gunk in the space between them and the A/C plumbing. The factory fan blades on both the cars you're looking at will need to be replaced if they haven't already. If they're not newish-looking black plastic, get rid of them ASAP. Upgrade to a Wizard or Summit aluminum radiator if you can swing it, they're just a few hundred dollars. Test drive these cars with the A/C on and if you see the temp gauge be too quick to get over the "N" level, be wary.

* Rear-end rattles. The one thing both my XJSs suffer(ed) from was the rear end wearing out. I'm told rebuilding the rearend gear on these cars is quite easy, but I sold the 88 before it came to that, and I haven't gotten that far on my 89.

I used to own a Corvette, a 1970 454/390 4-speed car, and while it was more impressive in a straight line than an XJS, you're going to like this car 20x more in the long run. Much more fun to drive, especially in the curves. And the gas mileage isn't all that bad, comparatively speaking, especially on the highway.

Jess

The following 2 users liked this post by JessN16:
Sarc (06-23-2016), Vettes104 (06-23-2016)
Old 06-23-2016 | 02:40 AM
Veteran Member

Hi

Mileage wise there doesn't seem much in it and if you like the 'Black' Car better, is anything putting you off it.

Bodywork is harder to fix than mechanics, so in that respect it looks as if you could be ahead of the game.

You need to drive her for half an hour, as its most important that She doesn't overheat as this can be the 'Kiss of Death' for a V12.

These Cars are not an easy sell, because they can drink Petrol like its going out of style, so are not everybody's 'Cup of Tea' and unless you're prepared to fix it yourself, which it seems you are it is going to end up costing a small fortune.

As many Shops/Garages don't want to know these Cars.

So go over the 'Black' one thoroughly and report back anything you find that you're not happy with, where you will find someone on here who knows the answer.

The following users liked this post:
Vettes104 (06-23-2016)
Old 06-23-2016 | 07:03 AM
Veteran Member

"Southern car" with "Wisconsin" plates, yeah......run away from that one!

Old 06-23-2016 | 07:48 AM
Veteran Member

To me the most important "feature" that I want to check out thoroughly on any used car is the owner.

Put simply, I'd quite like to buy my XJS from myself because I would bore any potential buyer silly telling them in great detail what I've already done to the car and what's next on the list (That never ends) I would also produce about 10lbs of paper to prove what I've said.

Anyway, as with any car, paint is expensive to fix. Interior is expensive and some parts very difficult to find. Mechanicals are all available but on a car that's not been used frequently and had all the bugs ironed out, as Doug said, you have lots of catch up to do. A/C is a big plus because these cars generate a lot of heat, so even if it's not that hot outside, it can get hot inside.

It's been said before and I think it's a valuable thought.... There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Jag. Assess what you want it for also.... Show car? Or just first Jag fiddle and learn car. The XJS remains undervalued in the US so if you are patient you can find very, very nice cars that have been owned and taken care of by crazy people like us here on the forums for reasonable money.

Are you decided on a coupe? They are rarer in the US. If you widen your search to include convertibles it could help

Last edited by Sarc; 06-23-2016 at 07:51 AM.
Vettes104 (06-23-2016)
Old 06-23-2016 | 08:57 AM

Welcome,

I have been keeping an eye on the local jaguars for sale. The white one has been up there for a while. The black one was just listed. That doesn't speak to the condition of either of the two cars, just that the seller of the white one may be willing to come down in price more. I don't like that the white car has damage to the roof.

Paul

Vettes104 (06-23-2016)
Old 06-23-2016 | 10:20 AM
|

Thanks guys for the input. I only got to disagree with JessN16 about the Corvette....I can almost gaurantee that the XJS will not corner like my 04 Vette. My 04 is much much more refined than your 70 was and it absolutly corners like its on rails.
Also "that guy"..thanks for the input about these cars. Your right in my area (im up in Pymouth).
As for using the Jag I wouldnt be using it as a daily driver. It would be for leisure use on the weekends or here and there. Stored during the Wisconsin winters. Im gonne try to get a look at these this weekend if thier available I let you guys know if i find something questionable....Thanks alot!

Old 06-23-2016 | 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

Run a carfax to see if there is any truth to the "Southern Car" claim.