XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Loss due to fire

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 04:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Loss due to fire

Had a most unfortunate mishap 3 weeks ago today. Our house caught fire, it originated in the garage. My 1995 XJS and 2012 XF were fully engulfed and destroyed by the fire, both my wife and myself made it out safely. It happened at 10 pm, I was awakened by the smoke detector, I wandered to the kitchen, nothing, opened the garage door, there were flames and the crackling of fire, told my wife to get some clothes on and get out, the house is on fire. We got out jumped in the truck and backed down the driveway. What a hopeless feeling it is to watch and not be able to do anything. The fire dept saved most of the house, but what the fire didn't get, the smoke and heat did. The thought that kept going through our minds is that we got out and are safe, it was oh so painful to watch our beautiful Jags burn, but we were fine. We have good insurance and will rebuild. Going to miss my beautiful XJS. I truly believe the smoke detector saved us, please make sure yours are in working order. I would like to wish everyone merry Christmas, and God bless.

Attached Thumbnails Loss due to fire-1215171110_hdr.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
89 Jacobra (12-25-2017)
Old 12-24-2017, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,167 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by EJ Garity
Had a most unfortunate mishap 3 weeks ago today. Our house caught fire, it originated in the garage. My 1995 XJS and 2012 XF were fully engulfed and destroyed by the fire, both my wife and myself made it out safely. It happened at 10 pm, I was awakened by the smoke detector, I wandered to the kitchen, nothing, opened the garage door, there were flames and the crackling of fire, told my wife to get some clothes on and get out, the house is on fire. We got out jumped in the truck and backed down the driveway. What a hopeless feeling it is to watch and not be able to do anything. The fire dept saved most of the house, but what the fire didn't get, the smoke and heat did. The thought that kept going through our minds is that we got out and are safe, it was oh so painful to watch our beautiful Jags burn, but we were fine. We have good insurance and will rebuild. Going to miss my beautiful XJS. I truly believe the smoke detector saved us, please make sure yours are in working order. I would like to wish everyone merry Christmas, and God bless.
condolences, l can only imagine what that is like.

Old 12-24-2017, 08:10 PM
Received 10,566 Likes on 6,978 Posts

Bugga.

At least you and wife are unharmed.

Nothing more terrifying than fire.

Old 12-24-2017, 10:15 PM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

So glad you didn't try to save the car...a friends mom tried in almost the same sort of fire and didn't make it. Fire is not to be messed with

Old 12-25-2017, 03:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,074 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Man, what a disaster, you poor buggers.
Glad you are ok though, the rest of it is just stuff, expensive and important as it is.
I hope you'll be able to find some festive cheer somewhere.

Old 12-25-2017, 05:11 AM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Had a most unfortunate mishap 3 weeks ago today. .....
Ed,

Good to hear you both got out unharmed but I don't expect there will be much "merry" in your Christmas this year.

Best wishes to both you and your wife.

Graham

Old 12-25-2017, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 694 Posts

Amen as God was definitely watching over you! and May he continue to do so. My house burnt 10 years ago in November. It was 6 am my wife was up making coffee and said loudly what the HEII??? I rolled over to see thick black smoke coming out of the furnace vent in the ceiling. We had smoke detectors, but they didn't have a chance to go off, as it didn't start until she was up making coffee, 15 Minutes earlier then usual (Thank You God). We rented a house for six months as the house was rebuilt. We got out safe, and That's what was important. But it sure is disheartening watching your home of 20+ years burn and then to see all your stuff trampled in the floors under burnt ceiling tiles etc. (ours was in the attic caused by the Furnace) All in all it was a terrible experience I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I've Thanked God many times for watching over us as he did. Good Luck and God Bless. Amen (2 pics showing some of the Damage and ! showing the new kitchen.

Attached Thumbnails Loss due to fire-dscn1194.jpg   Loss due to fire-dscn1135.jpg   Loss due to fire-dscn1136.jpg  

Last edited by 89 Jacobra; 12-25-2017 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the kind words, it is devastating, but we did get out safe. I guess the silver lining would be, we will essentially have a new house.

Old 12-26-2017, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 694 Posts

Thanks for the kind words, it is devastating, but we did get out safe. I guess the silver lining would be, we will essentially have a new house.
Yes if there was a silver lining, it was that we ended up with virtually a brand new house. They removed the entire roof and gutted everything to the outside walls. I drew a a new floor plan, I had drafting in High School. My contractor says, so all I have to do is put the walls where you have them. I said yep that's it. He said man your making my life easy! That was the best part, we restyled our home into a simple, more open design, That has grown on us even, if we did miss the old paneling? Nah the drywall is much nicer. Have Faith as it will turn out better then you can imagine. It'll just take some time and patience. Good Luck and God Bless.

Jack