XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

LOTS of oil around Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 09:54 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

I have done the cam cover reseal on the AJ16 engine and there are a few things to be aware of on this. I found when I did this job that one of the spark plug access ports in the cover had a spot that was damaged from what looked like the spark plug grounding or arching on the side of the access port. When you pull the cover you want to check for this because it can actually cause a hole in the metal. It is also possible that one or more of the coils can be damaged from the oil getting on them.

It is very common for the original paint from Jaguar to blister and peal on these covers over time. If you are having this issue this is a good time to strip and refinish the cover while you have it off the engine. I found a very good high heat paint that matches the original paint very well and I can get you the info on the paint if needed. I used a good quality paint stripper to remove the original paint.

Very important as mentioned before to follow the torque recommendations and sequence from Jaguar when re installing the cover.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:58 AM
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LuvmyXJS'
I have done the cam cover reseal on the AJ16 engine and there are a few things to be aware of on this. I found when I did this job that one of the spark plug access ports in the cover had a spot that was damaged from what looked like the spark plug grounding or arching on the side of the access port. When you pull the cover you want to check for this because it can actually cause a hole in the metal. It is also possible that one or more of the coils can be damaged from the oil getting on them.

It is very common for the original paint from Jaguar to blister and peal on these covers over time. If you are having this issue this is a good time to strip and refinish the cover while you have it off the engine. I found a very good high heat paint that matches the original paint very well and I can get you the info on the paint if needed. I used a good quality paint stripper to remove the original paint.

Very important as mentioned before to follow the torque recommendations and sequence from Jaguar when re installing the cover.
I had not thought of this, thanks for pointing it out. I will check for holes or damage from the sources you mentioned.
Yes, I would like to know what paint you used, please. Thanks again.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:29 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,562 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I would recommend using

Gasket Sealants : Permatex® PermaShield? Fuel Resistant Gasket Dressing & Flange Sealant

It helps keep the gaskets in place. It is super useful in keeping the spark plug gaskets in place.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:02 AM

Thanks VEE, I will. Anything to not do a job twice or again too soon.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:44 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,562 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I believe it also helps seal out any slight irregularities in the steel/gasket joint. I'm a big fan of this stuff.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Vee
I believe it also helps seal out any slight irregularities in the steel/gasket joint. I'm a big fan of this stuff.
I can see where it might do that, being pliable and conforming to any irregularity.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:52 PM
Default Courtesy Update!

Received the new Spark Plug Seals from Coventry West ($19.00 total). Removing the valve cover on the '95 4.0 was quick and simple. Replaced the old seals, they were all in place but hard and crunchy. Timing chain and all the innards looks well and happy. Put it all back and torqued to 5LBS. No leaks on the outside so far. I will replace my Champion RC9YC with RC12YCs in a week or so and will see if my plug seal repair was a success. Thanks all for the advice.

The following users liked this post:
Jonathan-W (02-20-2015)