XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Lucas single coil conversion - tech bulletin?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 07:04 PM
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey, Im over 50, it happens! ;-)
Good times!

Old 05-26-2014, 07:43 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been led to believe that California has emissions requirements for lawn mowers and motorcycles. May or may not be true. I live in Georgia. Here, if you live in a major population area and, if you have a 1996 or newer car or gasoline powered truck, if your vehicle has no codes stored you have passed your smog test. If your vehicle is 1995 or older but not yet 25 years old it gets the tailpipe sniffer. if it is 25 years old or older there is no requirement to get it tested. Both my XJS and XJ6 passed emissions tests the first time with no drama. New York and California are both bleeding population and jobs by virtue of their restrictive laws. Florida and Texas are gaining due to their favorable legal climate. If you ain't my D.I. get off my ***.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:07 PM
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by barondess
I've been led to believe that California has emissions requirements for lawn mowers and motorcycles. May or may not be true. I live in Georgia. Here, if you live in a major population area and, if you have a 1996 or newer car or gasoline powered truck, if your vehicle has no codes stored you have passed your smog test. If your vehicle is 1995 or older but not yet 25 years old it gets the tailpipe sniffer. if it is 25 years old or older there is no requirement to get it tested. Both my XJS and XJ6 passed emissions tests the first time with no drama. New York and California are both bleeding population and jobs by virtue of their restrictive laws. Florida and Texas are gaining due to their favorable legal climate. If you ain't my D.I. get off my ***.
Spent a summer in Houston, not my bag. But God bless Texas! You have my admiration!
Getting WAY off topic!
Perhaps a new thread or category for venting this stuff! The poor OP just wanted help, and his thread lost its way. Partly due to me.
Im sorry.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:33 AM
Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

I read the bit about plastic bags being banned, well "f" me and thought where I lived was the only stupid place on the earth that they have done this, this is only from a couple of Greens alias communist *******s who got voted in with only a handful of votes but our system allows vote swapping among the candidates, what a complete load of Sh*t, if it was one vote one person non transferable and first past the post wins then half these stupid **** laws would be scrapped and never even seen the light of day.
Sorry real I have spun off on a tangent here to the post but the plastic bag thingy just rolls me up and makes me despise the GREEN COMMO'S even more!

Old 05-28-2014, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,342 Likes on 5,430 Posts

Originally Posted by Katoh
I read the bit about plastic bags being banned, well "f" me and thought where I lived was the only stupid place on the earth that they have done this, this is only from a couple of Greens alias communist *******s who got voted in with only a handful of votes but our system allows vote swapping among the candidates, what a complete load of Sh*t, if it was one vote one person non transferable and first past the post wins then half these stupid **** laws would be scrapped and never even seen the light of day.
Sorry real I have spun off on a tangent here to the post but the plastic bag thingy just rolls me up and makes me despise the GREEN COMMO'S even more!

Tell us what you Really think, Katoh,
It's not good for you to hold it all in like this!
(';')

Old 05-28-2014, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,036 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Yeah, c'mon Katoh, don't be shy, let it all out.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,920 Likes on 7,174 Posts

Wonderful, the whole "Commie" thing. Environmentalism = communism. Yeah, right. Our TV/radio pundits push 'commie' stuff day long, throwing the word around at any and all targets with no more thought than I'd give to deciding what flavor ice cream to have tonight. It's getting pretty old and tired.

This is why political discussion always turns into a mess.

Carry on, but, if that's where this conversation is headed, I'll be stepping aside !

Cheers
DD

Old 05-28-2014, 04:37 PM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

In BC our Air Care had a maximum repair limit of $700 per year or so. At that point you would get a waiver. Is California the same. I had a 70 Dart Swinger all built up and couldn't pass Air Care. One thing I did was cutout the back of 2 cats and slide them over exhaust pipes and clamp them. When they looked under with their mirrors the cat would be present. I would then drive home and remove them. Many friends would borrow them as well. Became known as "Jamie's rent a cat".

Old 05-28-2014, 10:29 PM

Wonderful, the whole "Commie" thing. Environmentalism = communism. Yeah, right. Our TV/radio pundits push 'commie' stuff day long, throwing the word around at any and all targets with no more thought than I'd give to deciding what flavor ice cream to have tonight. It's getting pretty old and tired.
Please Doug don't get me wrong Im definetly not calling enviromentalists communists, I am talking about a specific political party here in my district who call themeslves the "greens" Watermelons would have been a better name for them, true Red on the inside, and there leaders admit they believe in that form of government. My gripe is in my part of the world I can not understand how they reach a point where they become so powerful. EG a member of there party who received less then 1000 votes now controls the legislative assembly as he holds the balance of power, I don't understand where the other 299000 of us wanted nothing to do with them. You work that out.
I apologise for spinning this thread in a different direction but the plastic bag thingy did it for me, they managed to close of all the parks remove any pastoral grasing and back burning you can't even clear your own land in the late 90's, so fuel load became so great when a lightening strike set the place ablaze one night no one could stop it, over 500 houses reduce to ash later plus all the infrastructure damage, all directly caused from them, and they are still there making stupid decisions that benefit nobody but themselves.
No these people are not environmentalists, these are people with hidden agendas who want us the public to work and be indebted to them as they control, the first thing that they will wont to rob me of will be my Jag as it my show I'm a capitalist and they will hide under this banner "its destroying our environment" and must be disposed off.
Only my thoughts Comrades. LOL

Old 05-28-2014, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member

No worries, and I apologize as well. I over-reacted.

I actually enjoy discussing politics and public policy but I try to stay objective and see both sides of the coin....as both usually have at least some merit. Problem is, as we know, meritous ideas are too often carried to unwieldy extremes.

Here in the 'States, at least, *discussion* has been replaced with such huge heaping loads obviously over-the-top rhetoric and partisan bullshit that it makes rational discussion impossible for those who would like to partake in it. For that reason my nerves are rubbed a bit raw, as evidenced by my earlier reaction :-).

My years in the business world required a lot of consensus building....I got a lot of things done that way.... so that's naturally what I'm accustomed to and would like to see more of. Nowdays, though, the very notion of consensus building is considered feckless or wimpy.

Well, 'nuff said, I'll leave things at that.

All's well

Cheers
DD

Old 05-29-2014, 10:09 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bc xj
In BC our Air Care had a maximum repair limit of $700 per year or so. At that point you would get a waiver. Is California the same.
California sort of has a limit:

"You may choose to repair the vehicle up to a $450 cost limit. If the vehicle still does not pass the smog check, you may elect to spend the additional money, or you can take the vehicle to a State of California Referee Center. Here, you may receive a waiver for up to two years, at which time the vehicle must be made fully smog check-compliant or surrendered to the state for up to a $1,000 tax credit."

What that means is that you *might* be able to get a waiver for two years but that ultimately the vehicle has to pass smog or be scrapped.

If you make very little money there is state assistance with the repairs but the same rules apply. The goal is to remove older vehicles from the road, period.

I'm going to stay on the sidelines of the political discussion for now...

Old 05-29-2014, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

didnt go through this whole thread, so i don't know if im adding to the discussion but i just went over all XJS TSBs on alldata and saw nothing on the ignition systems or the coil replacement

Old 05-30-2014, 10:10 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
didnt go through this whole thread, so i don't know if im adding to the discussion but i just went over all XJS TSBs on alldata and saw nothing on the ignition systems or the coil replacement
Doug had something that referred to it that might suffice but I think it's easiest to just put the dual coil system back on. It works fine - I'd been thinking "simpler is better" but the state laws render the engineering question moot. Besides, what's a few more dollars for coils at this point?

Old 05-30-2014, 10:21 PM

Sidescrollin gave me thought so I had a look at Boyce's Autolibrary but they list the coil to be a 22C12 then I had a look at Autodata and they list the twin coil Lucas 35C6 still no good. Its got under my skin now as I remember reading distinctly the twin coil part XXXX has now been replaced with the single coil part XXXX, but where was It?
Sorry I will more than likely find it while searching for something else Bugger.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Katoh
Its got under my skin now as I remember reading distinctly the twin coil part XXXX has now been replaced with the single coil part XXXX, but where was It?

You've likely seen it in numerous place. Lots of parts vendors and webpages show the substitution, and the JDHT/Classic Jaguar catalog lists both set ups as applicable to the XJS. The problem is finding an official document saying the single coil is a correct substitute. A Jaguar Tech or Parts Bulletin would do the trick. There probably IS one out there somewhere.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-31-2014, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
You've likely seen it in numerous place. Lots of parts vendors and webpages show the substitution, and the JDHT/Classic Jaguar catalog lists both set ups as applicable to the XJS. The problem is finding an official document saying the single coil is a correct substitute. A Jaguar Tech or Parts Bulletin would do the trick. There probably IS one out there somewhere.

Cheers
DD
Doug your 100% correct.
I wonder if it would be worthwhile actually Emailing Jaguar direct and explaining the situation, I am sure that they could get something in writing to you. The funny thing is I doubt its just you that have had this problem.
Sorry Out of suggestions!